Electrical Problem...HELP!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Problem...HELP!

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads

Electrical Problem...HELP!

OK, till just recently the wife's 74 Sportwagon was doing perfect. Then when first started up, you could let it run a moment and turn on the lights. Well, turning on the lights would shut the car off, like turning off the ignition switch. She put it down towinter cold. So, she would go out and start the car and let it warm up (about 15 minutes) and it would be fine. Last night, leaving work, she let it warm up, and headed home, the car totally shuts down. I figured the alt had died. Went and jumped started the car, turn on the lights, it dies. Had it towed home. Got home after work, and swapped the alt, jumped started it and now the battery light, on the dash stays on and again, turning on the lights, or anything electrical shuts down the motor, like turning off the key. I haven't had time to do any real searching, but, what or where do I need to look?
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Three things come to mind.
    1. Bad battery, swap it out and see if anything changes.
    2. Voltage regulator?
    3. Alternator ground wire?
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene try running a jumper cable from engine block to negative battery post and see if it does the same thing.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My first thought is a compromised ground. Wrench 459's idea is spot on to identify the issue.

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
    My first thought is a compromised ground. Wrench 459's idea is spot on to identify the issue.
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking? That the dist. breaker plate ground strap broke.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bad ground would be my first choice as well, had a fairly similar issue with my old Lancia Beta and I did what Dan suggested and it solved it. I actually ended up running it with that jumper cable in place as I never could get that car properly grounded, probably because the "steel" the body was made of was about as conductive as cardboard .... and had roughly the same structural strength too
    "I hate RallyBob"

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I knew someone with a Dodge truck back in the '80's that had the same issue. It turned out to be a bad ground.

Harold

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why when the lights are on, it triggers the car to shut off?? Doesn't sound like a ground to me as the car starts up, but something is breaking the ignition current from the coil. A neutral safety wouldn't do it, once it is started, it is on the starter side and would not interrupt. This is a 74...meaning it has that dumb logic control box under the dash, by the relays. Could this be on the fritz??? Seems Vickie Gage had a faulty one, where it wouldn't even start. Just throwing this out there.
    Keith
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing to toss out there is the voltage regulator.

If it was a GT then I would think to check the headlight wires. If the hot side is grounded to the car then as soon as the headlights turn "on" then the car would die. But it's not a GT so why check the headlight wires, right?

Perhaps a bad resistor wire to the coil that barely fires the coil so the minimal drop in voltage when the headlights turn on robs the coil of enough voltage to fire.

The coil itself failing and the same scenario as above. (Quick check. Try hotwiring the coil with 12V and turn on the headlights.)

I have to admit to knowing nothing about the sportwagon though.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    Why when the lights are on, it triggers the car to shut off?? Doesn't sound like a ground to me as the car starts up, but something is breaking the ignition current from the coil. A neutral safety wouldn't do it, once it is started, it is on the starter side and would not interrupt. This is a 74...meaning it has that dumb logic control box under the dash, by the relays. Could this be on the fritz??? Seems Vickie Gage had a faulty one, where it wouldn't even start. Just throwing this out there.
    Keith
    Actually, anything electrical, wipers, blower motor, turn signals, brakes, makes the car shut off. This has been a gradual thing, as it used to not do this. You could run everything, and it would run perfectly

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking? That the dist. breaker plate ground strap broke.
    Is it that important IF you're running a Pertronix Ignitor? I didn't think it made any difference UNLESS you were still running points.

Harold

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A little more info

1. Is the car an automatic?
    2. Does it have the rallye gauges below the dash as the sportwagon came?
    3. When the car lights are turned on (or other electrical) do they work? Do the lights come on, but the car dies? Or does the lights and everything shut down?
    4. Does it have the Pertronixs
    5. Are these too many questions?

Keith

I'm changing my signature to the ABDA Anti-Bench-Diagnostic-Association!!! Ha,Ha
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Wrench Dan, I did check the braided wire in the dist last night and it's still intact.

@ Opelspyder Keith, yes to all the questions

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Headlight switch could be bad...
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's one note, I "borrowed" a 35 amp alt from Tony's car (reg Bosch unit, my goal was to upgrade the wife's car to guyopel's 105 amp system) I also borrowed his battery. I jump started the car, pulled the light switch, it shut off, but, whereas before you could not even get it to spin the starter over, Tony's battery got enough of a charge to let me restart it without jump starting it.

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter My location tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red faceOften overlooked . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    Actually, anything electrical, wipers, blower motor, turn signals, brakes, makes the car shut off. This has been a gradual thing, as it used to not do this. You could run everything, and it would run perfectly
    . . . or simply forgotten when troubleshooting electrical problems is the basic principle of Direct Current flow - 'DC' current flows from Negative to Positive, not the other way around.

Grounds are the common denominator to everything electrical even when it seems there's not an actual "ground wire" connected! Every device must be "grounded" in some manner to function at all. The ground connection must be of sufficient conductivity, read current capacity, for it to function properly as designed!

Everything Gene mentions above has Positive leads going to them for "power". However, NONE of them will function without completing their circuits by GROUNDING them either by an actual wire or mounting them to a grounded surface!

I still vote for some sort of ground problem!

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fuse Box Connections ?

My short term memory left me so I can't remember what my current GT looks like.... but back in 1979, my first GT had bad connections near the fuses. I seem to recall two nuts that seemed to be main connections that would get hot . The car would not start hot. I was used to having to push start it. Could you have a similar thing happening? Warm connections there? Causing a bad electrical connection?

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the short brown 10(?)ga. wire coming off of the ground terminal at the battery the ONLY chassis ground? For the more 'modern' design of the 50 series cars THAT looks like a potential problem to me.

Harold

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Run a temporary ground direct from the battery to the engine block. If that doesn't fix the problem start tracing the coil power wires back through the system. It doesn't take much to get the car to run so fixing this problem should not be difficult. Fixing all of the lights and other circuits might be a real PITA if they are the real culprit, but I doubt it, especially since you say the problem has been getting worse and worse. You have a bad ground somewhere for sure that has been deteriorating over time.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    Run a temporary ground direct from the battery to the engine block.
    The Manta's don't ground like the GT's. The battery should be grounded directly to the engine block with the main battery cable and a short 10 ga. wire from the battery terminal to the firewall for the chassis ground.

Harold

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information