Resistor ??? or fusible link??
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resistor ??? or fusible link??

Opeler caramiciu is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Marius
    Downloads
    Uploads

Resistor ??? or fusible link??

Hi ,
    I am doing the wiring on my 72 Opel Gt and I am a bit confused..
    The Destec schematic shows a fusible link between the starter solenoid and the fuse box

In a different schematic , from Easy Wire, it shows a ballast resistor.

What do I use
    Please enlighten me, it would be appreciated

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano will become famous soon enough P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is fusible link. See the page from Opel service manual.
    Attached Images

άber Genius My location First opel 1981 will become famous soon enough First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fusible link.
    It's the main connection between the battery and the fuse box. It's the last line of defense if your car short circuits.
    If you ever lose complete loss of electricity in your car, and your battery connections are fine, it's likely this fusible link.

I replaced mine with an actual replaceable fuse. When I got the car I found the fusible link blew and that's why the car had been sitting for 12 years. On Opel GTs it's really common for the headlight wires to get damaged and cause the fusible link to blow. This was the case with my current one.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

άber OpelGT.com Moderator My location kwilford will become famous soon enough kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You seem to be asking a question about two different topics.

The fusible link shown delivers power from the battery to the main fuse box, and conversely delivers charge from the alternator to the battery. As described, the fusible link (and the one off the alternator) is a sort of main fuse that protects in case of a major short circuit.

A ballast resistor has a totally different role as it provides a reduced voltage to the coil to reduce ignition point arcing. There is no ballast resistor in a stock Opel, rather it uses a resistor wire. Without overloading this thread with unnecessary details, the resistor wire may be bypassed if a coil with an internal resistor is used, such as when buying a Pertronix Ignitor and companion coil. An Easy Wire schematic might work in a North American car, but it MUST be used carefully when wiring an Opel, as there are significant differences.

HTH
    Keith Wilford
    If I could only find the time to work on my '71 Opel GT...

Opelitis since 1984 My location GoinManta is on a distinguished road GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea.. the Easy Wiring diagrams have a few problems (Unless your talking about my diagram... at ez2wire.com then I will have to look at it).

Ballast resistor is put inline between the fuse block and the (+) of the coil. I'm not sure it has anything to do with points. The high performance Accel or Mallory coils you can get at the local parts store require a Ballast Resistor. The use or lack there of has nothing to do with points, it has to do with the OHM rating of the Coil. A 1.5 OHM coil needs a Resistor, the 3.0 OHM coil does not need a resistor. Run a 1.5 OHM coil without a resistor and you will fry the coil. Maybe not in the short term but definately in the long term and ESPECIALLY if you leave the ignition hot without the motor running for any length of time.

As for the fusible link at the starter or alternator, some of the Kwik Wire harnesses come with Mega Fuses instead. That way if you have a short, you pop a fuse and not burn a wire.
    Last edited by GoinManta; 04-10-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    CURRENT
    '06 Pontiac GTO - "Betty"
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Ben's Manta"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Atlas" ( 2.8L LK5 (175hp) w/ 4whl Discs )

In the past owned:
    At least 20 or more Opels / 2 Bitters - '85 Bitter SC (#491 / #439? ), '73 Commodore GS, At least a dozen Mantas (Including a Blue Max), 2 GTs and a few misc Ascona and Kadett parts cars

Opel Addicts My location saxybiker will become famous soon enough saxybiker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Fusible link.
    It's the main connection between the battery and the fuse box. It's the last line of defense if your car short circuits.
    If you ever lose complete loss of electricity in your car, and your battery connections are fine, it's likely this fusible link.

I replaced mine with an actual replaceable fuse. When I got the car I found the fusible link blew and that's why the car had been sitting for 12 years. On Opel GTs it's really common for the headlight wires to get damaged and cause the fusible link to blow. This was the case with my current one.
    If I were to replace the fusible link with a fuse, what size fuse would be recommended?

Allen

1969 Kadett LS Odette Showroom New Original
    1969 GT Omi The Grandmother
    1970 GT Octavia V8 Opel
    1971 GT Opie DESTEC car
    1971 Kadett Wagon Otis Survivor
    1972 GT Olessja Under restoration from being rear-ended
    1973 GT Olivette Awaiting Restoration
    1975 Manta yellowOmaryellow The Bumblebee
    1975 Ascona Sport Wagon: Otto Colonel Mustard
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) yellowOrlandoyellow
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) Oliver - "Olli"
    2008 SolsticeyellowOliviayellow

Just an old fart My location wrench459 will become famous soon enough wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by saxybiker View Post
    If I were to replace the fusible link with a fuse, what size fuse would be recommended?

Allen
    Allen
    1/3 of the peak current load over the rating.
    Now you got to remember that the fuse link is a slow blow.
    Have fun with this one.
    Black Horse

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information