Electronic Ignition Systems - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electronic Ignition Systems

Downloads
    Uploads

Pertronix II and Flamethrower coil

After reading several posts on the subject it looks like the 91847V is the proper Pertronix II set up for Opel 1.9 engines matched to a 60104 coil which Pertronix spec sheet has listed at 0.6 Ohms. 3 Ohms seemed to be the standard coil listing for the Opel engines. Can anyone verify this would be the correct components for our engines?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If my memory is correct..coil 1.2 ohms..resistor wire 1.8 ohms.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1847V

I don't know where you got the "9" from.''

Just so you are completely informed, though, the 1847V is just the bolt in option. If you wanted to do some weird stuff, there's literally thousands of options. All you really need is a quick trigger pickup unit and the proper mechanism to trigger it.

The Pertronix 1847V (as well as all Pertronix units, I believe) is a magnetic pickup unit. A four segmented magnet, situated where the magnet sleeve covers the lobe for the points, triggers a hall effect sensor which is converted (not converted much) to an electrical signal that triggers the coil, just like points do.

So, if one were to get adventurous, one need only a magnetic device (similar to a Pertronix magnet sleeve) and any digital hall effect pickup unit. If one wanted to, they could search for "3144E Hall effect sensor module" on Ebay and find a simple 5v version that could, theoretically, be used to power your coil.

But, to answer the most basic of questions.

The Pertronix 1847V uses a standard car coil. The signal it sends is pretty much a "points" signal. It's not super special. The biggest mistake people make when installing them is to hook up the wires backwards (RED is POSITIVE)(BLACK is OUTPUTgnd) or to install them on + wire from the coil. The + wire from the coil isn't always (Opel original, for example) 12V. If it's an externally resisted coil, you will have less voltage going to the pertronix in the "run" position and it will operate or not depending on other things. Also the signal from the coil can interfere with the consistent voltage going to the Pertronix unit.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    1847V

I don't know where you got the "9" from.''
    The Pertronix 91847V

PerTronix - 91847V IGNITOR II BOSCH 4 CYL

is the newer Ignitor II version:

"The Ignitor II has many of the same great feature that the Ignitor has, but its smarter. Ignitor II units sense the coil current level and use a powerful micro controller to adjust the dwell. Variable dwell helps to maintain peak energy throughout the entire RPM range. Features Ignitor II systems develop up to 4 times more energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM than standard ignition systems. High RPM performance is improved when used with the Flame-Thrower II super low resistance (0.6 ohms) 45,000 volt coil. • Adaptive dwell maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance. • Develops on average 4 times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and 2 times more available plug voltage. • Peak current level is reached just prior to spark for maximum energy without the heat build-up, increasing coil and module life. • Adjusts spark timing at higher RPMs to compensate for the inherent electronic delay. • Senses startup and develops more energy for quicker, easier starting. Built in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage."

As for the correct wiring, FO1981 hit the main issue on the head: The Ignitor (I or II) has to be powered by a non-resistored (full 13.6 to 14.4 volt) supply, NOT by the stock Opel resistor wire that supplies power to the coil.

The Ignitor I REQUIRES a 3 ohm (internal resistor) coil, if the coil is supplied with a non-resistor supply; OR the coil can be a low resistance type if the power supply to the coil is resistored, either the stock resistor wire, or an aftermarket ballast resistor. But in either case, the Pertronix itself MUST be powered with a non-resistored power supply.

As for the Ignitor II, it seems that it can use (and provides better high RPM spark) with a non-resistored coil. I suspect that the variable dwell feature allows the coil to provide maximum spark voltage without over-saturating and overheating.

HTH
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    The Pertronix 91847V

PerTronix - 91847V IGNITOR II BOSCH 4 CYL

is the newer Ignitor II version:
    I learned something new today.

(either way they are WAY overpriced considering the components they are made with - peeve)
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information