Electronic Ignition
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Electronic Ignition

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Electronic Ignition

Could someone give me their opinion on electronic ignition. I have a modified GT with 1.9. My uncle built out of several GT's he had wrecked. Kind of a dream car for him I guess. Anyway the points are set on a cintrifugal timing advance mechanism. It froze up a while back and I replaced it but it still sticks, causing hard starting, fast idoling, and occasionally missing at high RPM's. When my car won't start I open the distributor push the points to back and it fires right up, so I am pretty sure that this is the problem. I have read that the electric ignition is the way to go. Any and all advice is apprecitated.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

No Access My location
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The electronics that do the advance for you aren't cheap. It might be best to fix the advance first, then go to electronic. Where are you in Co? There are a few parts to be had depending on where you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

Advance!

The lower cost electronic ignitions such as Petronix, Crane etc. just replace the points in the standard distributor and still rely upon the original, mechanical, centrifugal advance mechanism.

So using one of them will not solve your particular problem. You need to have your distributor mechanism repaired and freed up by someone who knows Opel Bosch distributors (Nobody is a likely candidate for this in Colorado).

Failing that you need a replacement distributor which has a working advance mechanism.

Maybe "electronic" ignition systems are available which dispense with the mechanical advance and do it all by computer but they will be far more expensive and may not be designed to work with the old Opel distributor or motor... Haven't heard of anyone using such a device here .... yet!
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Moderators Note: Moved to the Ignition Forum. Where all your questions on Opel ignition system problems will be answered...
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are there any electronic ignition replacements for the 1.9 distributor that replacs the mechanical advance?
    "The past is past, the future is now"

Downloads
    Uploads

Since You Ask!

Here is a home town (Christchurch, New Zealand) solution that can be used......
    www.link-electro.co.nz/lem_ignition_link.html
    This is the sort of thing you will need - used on late model EFI fuel injected cars. I think the late model Manta GTE from Europe had a factory unit and fixed advance distributor on the 2.0 litre CIH Opel motors too.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Air Muir ‘s Air Tir! Scott McDonald's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best option that I've read about here, is the "DIS-IX" RallyBob installed and mentioned. Do a search for "DIS-IX." I will install the same when I have the funding.

If your distributor shaft is drifting out of position, the retaining c-clamp may be missing from the shaft.

If you need a mechanical advance, I can post one to you. It won't have the springs/bearing, so save yours.
    Is fhearr deagh chainnt na h-asail na droch fhacal faidh.-The good speech of an ass is better than the bad word of a prophet.

Thread Information