Electronic Distributor - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Electronic Distributor

3000 Post Club blancojp (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkMan View Post
    Are you coming to the Opel meeting tomorrow? I may have some Pertronix sleeves laying around. I can bring them to the lunch.
    I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    PM sent.
    PM received and answered.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOpel View Post
    Do you sell the coil and wires shown separately? How much are they? Thanks.
    You can buy the coil and wires on ebay (see post #9) for about $30.00 but they do not come with an "O"
    GeorgeOpel likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BlancoJp can you resend the message? My inbox was full. Sorry!
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT ARA AC, European 2.0L and Weber DGAS
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa "Fancy Rat Rod"

Quote Originally Posted by blancojp View Post
    I will be there.

I found 2 left over Pertronix laying around. Put them in car so I wouldn't forget.
    Lifes too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers. Just don't do them at the same time.

No boring cars:
    1973 Opel GT
    The non-Opel Collection:
    1966 Lotus Elan S2/SE
    1968 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3
    1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
    1973 Triumph TR6
    1973 Porsche 914
    1979 Triumph Spitfire with GT6+ conversion = "Spit6"
    2005 Lotus Elise

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

3000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting project.

For dummies like me can you spell out the advantages of this? More spark? Less hear? More precise timing?

Also, I gather that this unit fires for a length of time determined by the proximity of the magnets to the Hall effect sensors. If the magnets were used to trigger the pulse and the circuitry used a timer or RC circuit to keep the pulse width constant, that would give you variable dwell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will be there.

PM received and answered.
    They are not being sold ( or I can't find them) on eBay. You have a link? Thanks
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 05-08-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't sent the t-stat housings yet and could add a distributor to the mix, if' you'd like.
    I could even toss in my extra (for now) magnet as well.

The T-stat housings were supposed to go out tonight but I can wait a bit to hear back about the dizzy.

Be forewarned that I don't have a fresh dizzy. I will send the best one I have but it's a unit that hasn't been on a running engine in a while.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    BlancoJp can you resend the message? My inbox was full. Sorry!
    Sent again

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkMan View Post
    I found 2 left over Pertronix laying around. Put them in car so I wouldn't forget.
    I was there, say hello and no one other than Steve and Edwin answered, talked to Edwin a bit and left.

Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    Interesting project.

For dummies like me can you spell out the advantages of this? More spark? Less hear? More precise timing?

Also, I gather that this unit fires for a length of time determined by the proximity of the magnets to the Hall effect sensors. If the magnets were used to trigger the pulse and the circuitry used a timer or RC circuit to keep the pulse width constant, that would give you variable dwell.
    This would be the reason why people go with the DIS-X type system, better spark and easier to get components.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOpel View Post
    They are not being sold ( or I can't find them) on eBay. You have a link? Thanks
    Post #9 has a valid link to the coil.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I haven't sent the t-stat housings yet and could add a distributor to the mix, if' you'd like.
    I could even toss in my extra (for now) magnet as well.

The T-stat housings were supposed to go out tonight but I can wait a bit to hear back about the dizzy.

Be forewarned that I don't have a fresh dizzy. I will send the best one I have but it's a unit that hasn't been on a running engine in a while.
    Send what you want to send and we will sorted out later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Send what you want to send and we will sorted out later.
    OK. I sent you a pair of T-stat housings, an intact and functional distributor, and a pertronix magnet.

I hope this helps out.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    OK. I sent you a pair of T-stat housings, an intact and functional distributor, and a pertronix magnet.

I hope this helps out.
    Thanks, I will keep an eye out for them.

Spoke too soon, they got in today!
    Last edited by blancojp (R.I.P.); 05-11-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting closer

I have been getting a few packages in with distributors and thermostat housings from a few members. What we believe is that a few people know my address and somehow, 7 distributors and 11 thermostat housings have come in. I appreciate greatly your support and we made a commitment for two units to be rebuilt using the new electronics, those members know who they are.

The big question is, what to do about the other 5 units that came in?

Stay tuned, same Opel time, same Opel channel!

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess that the (11) thermostats housings are for some other unknown Opel project?

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    I guess that the (11) thermostats housings are for some other unknown Opel project?
    Actually, no. The thermostat housings are for the Fuel Injection computer project that a thread is being updated as info comes about.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Project Continues...

Our main design for the 009 distributor has finally been done and the new boards have been tested rigorously, enclosed is our final rendition. This new SS4-Rev 2 design can be configured to drive up to 4 ignition coils directly using the mechanical advance available. SS4-Rev 3 will include a small stamp PIC type processor which allows the user to program two sets of advance curves with their laptop. Only problem we have encountered with the PIC stamp prototype is that interface location is still to be determined, the USB port looks kind of out of place mounted on the side of a distributor. Other developments have taken place whereas support for 6 and 8 cylinder engines are in the design stages and currently being tested.

All of the mechanical aspects, with respect to mounting the electronic assembly within the distributor, have been refined and are done. We are currently testing potting compounds to protect the electronics from the environment. We have uploaded several videos of the installation and operation on youtube for further reference.

I will be unavailable for a few days as I am still getting therapy to further the up and coming Bone Marrow transplant. This part of our project is done for now, the received distributors will be rebuilt and sent to their owners as time allows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    JIm Frank
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just as a fun fact, all three of our distributors will drive coils using an IRF640 power mosfet. The continuous rating on this unit is 18A, with a pulsed rating of 72A at 300us.

Just perfect for racing applications!
    I use IRF 640s for all kinds of HV applications. Very durable transistor, if you protect the gate from excessive drive/back emf
    Last edited by JimFrank; 06-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    Card Carrying Redneck.
    www.americanrednecksociety.com

Real Name
    JIm Frank
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any idea when you might start selling the units, and a ballpark price? (expected maximum price is OK). I ♥ the idea of programming the spark with my laptop computer.
    PS- I would be happy to do any mods and installation on my own, I'm a major DIY guy.
    Card Carrying Redneck.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JimFrank View Post
    I use IRF 640s for all kinds of HV applications. Very durable transistor, if you protect the gate from excessive drive/back emf
    The MOSFET is protected by a 1N4007 diode so should not have a problem up to 1KV kick back.

Quote Originally Posted by JimFrank View Post
    Any idea when you might start selling the units, and a ballpark price? (expected maximum price is OK). I ♥ the idea of programming the spark with my laptop computer.
    PS- I would be happy to do any mods and installation on my own, I'm a major DIY guy.
    We are just waiting for the production run boards to come in. Once they are in, we will have a better idea on the final price for all versions. It will be less than $100 but we can't say how much yet. Most of the first production run has been pre-sold and pretty soon there will be a waiting list, we are only receiving 500 pcs on the first order. The rotor will be made by us locally out of aluminum so we can make as many as we need.

Very minor modifications will be required so the unit can be set back to stock if necessary. Ready made distributors for exchange will also be available for Opel, VW and MG.
    Last edited by blancojp (R.I.P.); 06-02-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: forgot a "T"

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are just waiting for the production run boards to come in. Once they are in, we will have a better idea on the final price for all versions. It will be less than $100 but we can't say how much yet. Most of the first production run has been pre-sold and pretty soon there will be a waiting list, we are only receiving 500 pcs on the first order. The rotor will be made by us locally out of aluminum so we can make as many as we need.

Very minor modifications will be required so the unit can be set back to stock if necessary. Ready made distributors for exchange will also be available for Opel, VW and MG.
    I can hardly wait!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have one for a Saab Sonett V4??

Real Name
    JIm Frank
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can count me in for ordering the rev3 version! I've been wondering about using an Arduino and some interface electronics for programmable spark for some time. It's nice to see someone doing a serious development cycle on this concept
    slracer likes this.
    Card Carrying Redneck.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information