Electronic Distributor - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Electronic Distributor

Real Name
    Clyde
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely In for One
    '73 GT
    '72 C-10
    '82 RX-7 (V8)

"As we all know, warming up the female parts helps things go in and out." - The Scifi Guy

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

3000 Post Club blancojp (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak View Post
    Definitely In for One
    You are # 137 on the list
    Brak likes this.

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did I miss the sign up? I would like a distributor conversion, and an EFI unit later, when they are available.

Wes

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not posted a signup yet but that is how things develop.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by blancojp View Post
    I have not posted a signup yet but that is how things develop.
    What's the ETA?

I've had a few people express interest after I told them about this. Opel and VW guys.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    What's the ETA?

I've had a few people express interest after I told them about this. Opel and VW guys.
    Thanks for the update, every make engine that has a bosch 009 type distributor can use one of our units. There is a substantial interest since this design functions like an EDIS but using the distributor.

We are very close to releasing several of the models, the programmable unit PCB has not come in yet but again, very close. The fuel injection project is also very close to be released which is burning time away from this project.

The SS4-1 is available by the end of the week(6/12). This one is just a trigger system that fires individual cylinders using the EDB-S1 driver board.

The EDB-S2 has 8 driver channels and it is used for ignition and fuel injection. We are waiting for rev 2 boards to come in but that is for another project.

The SS4-2 is available for ordering now. This one is self contained and fires two coils in wasted spark configuration using the Dodge Neon coil. Has been tested for over 400 hours of continuous operation with no problems.

The SS4-3 is completed and undergoing testing. Racing version of SS4-2 which has passed every test so far. We are waiting for heat sinks to come in and should be available for purchase on Friday(6/12).

Every SS4-1 through SS4-3 boards are available in two channel(wasted spark) and four channel(COP) configurations. Very minor price difference for the added functionality.

The SS4-4 is waiting for PCB's to come in. This is the programmable advance unit which is available in two versions, single channel(points or Pertronix) and dual channel(wasted spark)

A new board called the PDB-S1, is an attachment to any of the first three SS4 units above, allowing Ignition advance to be programmed. So even if you have the plain unit or a Pertronix, it can be converted to electronic advance by adding this board. This request came from the MG club, sounded interesting so we got it done.

Rotors have not been finalized but any Pertronix rotor can be used until our rotors are done. Modifications to the existing distributor, as shown here previously, are to bare minimum and should be performed for racing applications only. This is where I am right now, I thought we might have been further ahead but projects require time.

100 pcs of each model SS4 are available for purchase, that is a total of 800 units but several car clubs and other retailers have access to purchase. Sale will be on a first come first serve basis and there are talks of setting up regional distributors; which I do not know the impact on price this will have.

A Youtube video of the unit operating will be available on the Electrical Design Concepts account prior to any unit leaving the factory. A price list will also be generated and posted at every club site.

Email to edc_atl@bellsouth.net for your intent to order and placement on the initial list.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Initial Timing curve

I forgot on my last post to ask if some one had a good initial timing advance curve that we can use. What we are looking for is advance settings from 500 Rpms to 6000 Rpms. This would be a standard curve supplied with the stock unit, other curves you can experiment on your own.

I was also asked to see about providing a fixed advance table on a non-programmable CPU. This defeats the original purpose but there are people out there which do not want to edit any tables.

Real Name
    Clyde
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Email Sent

have you figured out the pricing for the SS4-2?

Have a feeling i may need to warn my bank about upcoming purchases tied to this
    '73 GT
    '72 C-10
    '82 RX-7 (V8)

"As we all know, warming up the female parts helps things go in and out." - The Scifi Guy

Non Civilian My location opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot on my last post to ask if some one had a good initial timing advance curve that we can use. What we are looking for is advance settings from 500 Rpms to 6000 Rpms. This would be a standard curve supplied with the stock unit, other curves you can experiment on your own.

I was also asked to see about providing a fixed advance table on a non-programmable CPU. This defeats the original purpose but there are people out there which do not want to edit any tables.
    I'd recommend shooting a PM to Bob Legere. I'm sure he has a wealth of curves.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads

I could send you my MegaSquirt table but it is designed for my heavily modified engine and would probably not work well with a stock situation.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tables

Guys, I just need a starting point to correlate what the 1.9L engine can handle in a stockish fashion. The theory behind a somewhat optimum table and a fix program type distributor is moving faster than I though. Lots of people now want this option, instead of all of the other units.

I guess I better just put the stuff out and sort out the rest at a later date.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been stalking this forum for a while, great info but a lot of threads are going to waste due to a certain member. Anyway, this project is very intriguing. Do you have any estimates on pricing?

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dr J I'm going to throw a typical spark curve(wedge head) out there for discussion.
    1000-13
    1500-16
    2000-19
    4000-31
    There is a bunch of variables that comes into play namely C/R,AFR,Fuel octane,vehicle weight...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Dr J I'm going to throw a typical spark curve(wedge head) out there for discussion.
    1000-13
    1500-16
    2000-19
    4000-31
    There is a bunch of variables that comes into play namely C/R,AFR,Fuel octane,vehicle weight...
    Thanks for the input Wrench, was kinda expecting a graph though
    This gives me somewhat of a starting point. There are a few people that want us to add provisions for a MAP sensor to correct the tables. We have not decided on this because the distributor is getting pretty crowded inside!

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input Wrench, was kinda expecting a graph though
    This gives me somewhat of a starting point. There are a few people that want us to add provisions for a MAP sensor to correct the tables. We have not decided on this because the distributor is getting pretty crowded inside!
    In this thread I had started exploring the ignition advance problem faced by us Opelers not having a resource for a 'stock' set of distributor curves. In post 40 I mapped all of the BMW 2002 curves, and my MatLab program (Excel works too) uses the guidelines from MS on ignition advance curves and modifies the tables based on the additional limits set. I am across the country from that laptop at the moment, but it is essentially the same program which is found online in the MS documents.

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftus View Post
    In this thread I had started exploring the ignition advance problem faced by us Opelers not having a resource for a 'stock' set of distributor curves. In post 40 I mapped all of the BMW 2002 curves, and my MatLab program (Excel works too) uses the guidelines from MS on ignition advance curves and modifies the tables based on the additional limits set. I am across the country from that laptop at the moment, but it is essentially the same program which is found online in the MS documents.
    We have all of that and a few other curves from our buddies across the pond.

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We have all of that and a few other curves from our buddies across the pond.
    Would you mind sharing the curves you have found in the 'Distributor Curves' thread?

Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will post the final assessment when it is done, there are too many curves that actually will not work for the application.

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will post the final assessment when it is done, there are too many curves that actually will not work for the application.
    Cool!

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Juan, you have a PM regarding distributor curves.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information