Opel GT ignition switch
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jlthunder
  • 1 Post By wrench459

Thread: Opel GT ignition switch

BDD
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel GT ignition switch

I think my ignition switch may have just failed. I turn the key and the starter engages but there is no ignition and the instrument lights and gauges don't work or light up. What are the options?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ignition switch RUN is white connector (12 BLK No. 2) that connects to switched fuses F5, F6, F7.

Carefully disconnect and reconnect fuse box white connector. Check voltage to these fuses.
    Ensure the 12GA black wire (from ignition switch) is connected to fuse box (S/B at fuse F7).

BDD
    Downloads
    Uploads

white plug replacement 72 GT

I need to get another white plug that is located on the inside of the fusebox. The plug that attaches from the outside was melted at the red main power wire so I found a replacement plug from another old wiring harness that I have. The problem is this one doesn't seem to mate with the one in the fusebox and I don't have a spare part for that. The original plug that connects from the steering column side appears to be a bit smaller and has rounded sides. The replacement I found has square sides. It might b efrom a '73.

Are there new plugs I could get that would fit in the fusebox or does someone have an original plug they could sell me?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

BDD
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Beuller......Beuller.......Beuller?

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PM me your address. I will check my inventory. If I have one, I will send you the male and female so you know they match up
    norbertone.gt371 likes this.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if your ignition switch has failed, getting a new connector plug ain't gonna help. Since you "may" need a new switch, why not call up OGTS and buy one and ask about the connector issue? Maybe it's included with the new switch.

Those almost 50 year old fuse box connectors are getting mighty aged and many times Opelers have electrical problems due to the connectors simply not engaging the electrical terminals very well. Often the terminals in the connectors on the fuse box get pushed in, disconnecting them from the plastic connector. I would suggest taking a good hard look at the prongs to make sure they are all even and you don't have one pushed through. Clean them up with contact cleaner. Use needle nose pliers to pull them back out if they're pushed in too far(disconnect the battery before doing so). Make sure that none of the female prongs have been bent or crushed closed. If you're adept at using a voltmeter you could plug the connectors together and check for continuity through the connector at each wire(not easy to do on an Opel fuse box). If all have continuity through the connector, then the connector ain't your problem.

Good luck!

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Upgrade the box with new molex pigtails?
    guyopel likes this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Upgrade the box with new molex pigtails?
    After having working with a number of different connectors, my vote for anything that has a chance of getting wet are Deutch DT or DTM connectors.

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Opel GT has notoriously unreliable ignition switch. Many of us have added relay to protect START circuit and this is all good. However, let us not forget that all current is flowing through the ignition switch in RUN position. We added, electrical fuel pumps, electrical fans, additional lights, etc. and secured that everything works by upgrading alternator. Doing that, we caused even more current going through the ignition switch.

I have also protected RUN circuit by adding relay, very similar to what we do for START circuit. You will likely need 40A relay although I am using 60A relay due to electrical power steering. There is very little current going through the ignition switch/white plug which should now last much longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

BDD
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Well, if your ignition switch has failed, getting a new connector plug ain't gonna help. Since you "may" need a new switch, why not call up OGTS and buy one and ask about the connector issue? Maybe it's included with the new switch.
    I have replaced the switch and repainted the turn signal lever and the metal enclosure that goes around the wiring and key cylinder, etc. I just need this to connect things back up.

BDD
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    Opel GT has notoriously unreliable ignition switch. Many of us have added relay to protect START circuit and this is all good. However, let us not forget that all current is flowing through the ignition switch in RUN position. .
    I do plan to protect my new ignition switch and wiring with a relay but for now just need the white plugs the wires go into. Either original parts or replacement parts that hopefully work with the original fuse box.

What do you use for this if you can't find an original matching pair of Opel connectors? The replacement part I found in my parts stash will not fit the one that's in the fuse box.

Thread Information