Starts - turns over - runs for 2 seconds - dies. What the hell?? - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Starts - turns over - runs for 2 seconds - dies. What the hell??

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On the pumpkin I have a similar issue with the charging light. I ignore it.
    Yes, it's putting out a little more than 14V and yes, it's charging (beautifully). It goes out when not charging (ie the engine isn't running but the ignition is on).
    My oil pressure does the same also. It's a 99K engine with hardcore wear so it's to be expected about the low oil pressure.

Your engine seems to be pretty worn. You could get some extra mileage from replacing the rod bearings but the reality is you should replace them all, with a crank grind.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Yes, it's putting out a little more than 14V and yes, it's charging (beautifully). It goes out when not charging (ie the engine isn't running but the ignition is on).
    My oil pressure does the same also. It's a 99K engine with hardcore wear so it's to be expected about the low oil pressure.

Your engine seems to be pretty worn. You could get some extra mileage from replacing the rod bearings but the reality is you should replace them all, with a crank grind.
    Well this is my concern. This is an upgraded engine from 1.9 to 2.0 with new lifters, high comp piston heads, hot cam, bigger carb and when driving i am very close to the 3 bar on the gauge. This rebuild was only done a few years ago. In fact they had to do it twice because something failed the first time.

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does the gauge work properly and the light is the only thing that is confused? Wires on the amp gauge reversed if gauge and light are "backwards"?

Harold

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Does the gauge work properly and the light is the only thing that is confused? Wires on the amp gauge reversed if gauge and light are "backwards"?

Harold
    Gauge seems to work properly. When charging a dead battery the gauge is up, halfway between the top two bars. When the battery is charged the gauge is reading near dead center.
    When car is turned off and anything is on, the gauge reads in the negative.

But the light is off when the car isn't charging and on when it is.

I have no idea what the PO did, and seem to have a grounding issue to the gauges (suspect that the gauges are grounding through the indicator bulb). There's some whackadoodle stuff done in this car.

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gauge seems to work properly. When charging a dead battery the gauge is up, halfway between the top two bars. When the battery is charged the gauge is reading near dead center.
    Not generally a good idea at all.
    One of the very first checks is
    Is the battery Fully charged 12.6 volts.
    Flip on some sort of high current draw..say the headlamps high beams for 15 seconds.
    This is to remove any surface charge.
    Turn off headlamps...the battery should recover to just under 12.6V.

Fire the sucker up....
    Is the charging voltage at the very least .5 volt over static?
    If so rev the engine
    Voltage reading?
    If the voltage goes over 18+ you can blow out every light bulb in the car that's turned on.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When car is turned off and anything is on, the gauge reads in the negative.

But the light is off when the car isn't charging and on when it is.

I have no idea what the PO did, and seem to have a grounding issue to the gauges (suspect that the gauges are grounding through the indicator bulb). There's some whackadoodle stuff done in this car.
    Sounds like one side of your charging indicator bulb is going to ground instead of to B+. When charging both sides of the bulb should be at about 12 to 14V or close to it so the drop across the bulb is close to zero and it will not light. Is your battery good? I did not go back and read all the previous posts......sorry it's time to shut down the computer and I don't have time.........Later.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my issue, I'm pretty sure it's the wiring in the dash.

To answer the questions. The battery is about a year old. When I say "dead" battery, I meant severely drained because (I just now remembered) my accelerator pump diaphragm leaks and I had a bitch of a time getting the car started last week at work. I cranked the battery about 2/3 down. That's when I saw the gauge reading high. And, of course, it leveled off and was fine within 5-10 minutes (I wasn't paying attention).

As I said, I'm pretty sure there's a grounding issue in the dash and the possibility that all of the dash gauges are grounding through that light. I will pull the dash soon to get that sorted. I still have to buy an accelerator diaphragm, if I ever remember to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Oh come on now
    How badly drained as you say was it.

Get off your back-side and give us some REAL numbers.
    It's charged now. Can't you read?

It's not even Friday and you're falling off your rocker already.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok.

So I started this thread because I had the GT out one night last October and a little rain came down. As i was driving i put the wipers on and engine died. Pulled over. Engine kept cranking run and then die.

The good members of this board highlighted a possible wiring connection with the resistor wire.

Upon further investigation - fusible links were not there and wiring out of place not done properly by PO and/or mechanic who installed Petronix

Chasing my tail with grounds - battery alternator upgrades - see thread here

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1a-star...sed-issue.html

chased a loose connection to the red black daisy chain wiring the gauges

FINALLY have everything running and ready to check out the wiper motor which caused the 4 months of being cramped in awful positions under the dash and over the hood forFirst - drill out the stripped screw that prevented me from opening the wiper motor cover.

got the cover off and sure enough - wiper motor connection was almost off - and came off completely when i pulled the wiper assembly out further. Reconnected. Hit the switch from the inside - wiper motor working.

Finally. I think i can close this thread down.

Take away: FUSIBLE LINKS. these need to be maintained. check connections and fuses should be replaced with any electrical issue.
    GoinManta likes this.

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    Really can't stress this advice from Gordon enough. Everything else about this car is secondary.....you almost want to ensure every new owner of this car gets this information and acts on it immediately, no questions asked.

Everything else is secondary, the rust issues or the shimmys and shakes going down the road.....knocking noise in the timing chain area or cam lobes eaten for breakfast.....the wiring to the headlights must be inspected by the owner, accomplished only by physically unwrapping the wire harness tape to each headlamp plug.

Trust me on this.....I thought my 73 GT's headlamp wires were okay; it was an unmolested GT and lived a semi-pampered light. Service invoices for near every service or repair job the car ever had, in my possession. What could be wrong on a car like this? Only when did I unwrap that wire harness (in preparation to installing the Hella halogen headlamps) did I discover to my horror the headlight wire insulation crumbled away, just ready to short out onto each other. How it didn't was just divine provenance or luck, I guess.

Even if your issues are elsewhere, for peace of mind, unwrap that wire harness, inspect it and repair it, using the info contained on this site!

Mike
    Never did mine and the wires still feel soft. My car has always been in an insulated/ air conditioned and heated garage and has never slept outside. Maybe I should recheck em. Installed Halogens 4 years ago as well. didn't see any crumbling. I'll check it B4 Carlisle.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information