Electronic Ignition with advance - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Electronic Ignition with advance

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank J View Post
    Enclosed is a pic of the distributor. It really was almost that easy. you do have to take the manual fuel pump out first and change the coil as well. The modulator/ electronics were all built in the distributor.
    OK, RallyBob, what the hell am I missing here? The OP's post requests info on doing away with vacuum advance. Frank gets on says "Hey I did it by swapping my distributor, here is pic." but his picture SHOWS A VACUUM HOSE GOING TO A VACUUM ADVANCE CAN ON THE DISTRIBUTOR (circled in yellow in this re-post of Franks pic). Either Frank does not know what a vacuum line is, or he is talking about something else entirely. Can you please decipher for the little people out here? Some more clarity Frank?? Someone??? I also searched UKfleabay, and all the distributors I could find on there had vacuum canisters. Something just isn't jiving here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah they're pretty nice, I had one in my 86 Manta B and it never missed a beat but it doesn't fully cover the threadstarter's question

Quote Originally Posted by V6Opel View Post
    Ok, almost all modern electronic ignitions have built in timing functions, such as advance and retard, which are preset based on rpm and rate of rpm change. I noticed the Pertronix Ignitor III models have this feature. With this you can eliminate the vacuum advance and gain a cleaner install and better performance. Is there such a unit that will fit in the Opel 1.9 engine?
    The later distributors still relies on the old mechanical advance functionality for timing advance.

There are however some really nice after market products that will fit the Bosch dizzy and do the job as asked, for instance Juan's new SS-series

SS3 Series
    Yellow73GT likes this.
    "I hate RallyBob"

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    Yeah they're pretty nice, I had one in my 86 Manta B and it never missed a beat but it doesn't fully cover the threadstarter's question

The later distributors still relies on the old mechanical advance functionality for timing advance.

There are however some really nice after market products that will fit the Bosch dizzy and do the job as asked, for instance Juan's new SS-series

SS3 Series
    Thank you, exactly what I thought, and needed to know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow73GT View Post
    OK, RallyBob, what the hell am I missing here? The OP's post requests info on doing away with vacuum advance. Frank gets on says "Hey I did it by swapping my distributor, here is pic." but his picture SHOWS A VACUUM HOSE GOING TO A VACUUM ADVANCE CAN ON THE DISTRIBUTOR (circled in yellow in this re-post of Franks pic). Either Frank does not know what a vacuum line is, or he is talking about something else entirely. Can you please decipher for the little people out here? Some more clarity Frank?? Someone??? I also searched UKfleabay, and all the distributors I could find on there had vacuum canisters. Something just isn't jiving here...
    I see you posted while I was typing up my reply, which took a bit longer than expected because I was interrupted.

No it doesn't fully cover the OP's original question, what it does however is add a very reliable electronic replacement for the points and perhaps a more favorable timing advance curve but it's still basically an old fashioned dizzy
    "I hate RallyBob"

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    I see you posted while I was typing up my reply, which took a bit longer than expected because I was interrupted.

No it doesn't fully cover the OP's original question, what it does however is add a very reliable electronic replacement for the points and perhaps a more favorable timing advance curve but it's still basically an old fashioned dizzy
    Right, and thats exactly what I realized, when I saw his picture, but just had to make sure, Opel had lots of odd little quirks ya know. So what frank did was just get rid of his points, but has vacuum advance is still there. Thanks a lot for the link, I did not realize how far Juan had got on his and actually hadn't realized thats what he was/is into. THAT IS COOL $H!T RIGHT THERE, I tell ya.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow73GT View Post
    Right, and thats exactly what I realized, when I saw his picture, but just had to make sure, Opel had lots of odd little quirks ya know. So what frank did was just get rid of his points, but has vacuum advance is still there. Thanks a lot for the link, I did not realize how far Juan had got on his and actually hadn't realized thats what he was/is into. THAT IS COOL $H!T RIGHT THERE, I tell ya.
    Yes it's cool stuff and putting my money where my mouth is I've purchased one of his products for my TR6

S-ECU series

This litte sucker can do fuel injection as well, which I plan to add at a later date so I figured I'd just go with the bigger option right away. Not installed yet though so Juan may have cheated me out of 200 dollars, we'll find out some day

Don't sniff at the vacuum advance though, used right it's actually a useful device and some of the TR6 guys are retrofitting them by converting their vacuum retard cannisters to vacuum advance cannister.
    "I hate RallyBob"

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Went out in my barn to look at my own Bosch transistorized conversion ignition kit I own. Bought it way back in 1984 in Germany. It was basically the factory Manta B ignition system in kit form, to update older points distributors.

Of course I couldn't find the actual electronic pickup/trigger, since I pulled the engine and distributor out some years ago. I have it...just can't put my hands on it right now.

Anyway, the kit had a wiring harness, coil, ignition 'box', rotor, and trigger.

I have pics of everything but the trigger.

US-sourced cost in 1984 dollars was $270. I got mine for $108 in Germany with my uncle's military discount, and a very strong dollar-to-deutsche mark ratio.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RallyBob; 05-14-2016 at 07:13 PM.
    Yellow73GT likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Bob, thats the kind of info I like to see.

Real Name
    Mike Pilkenton
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All great info guys and thanks for the posting. Actually I've been a life-long Opel Gt nut and did one of the original V6 conversions back in the day. Been out of the Opels though for roughly 16 years due to other Air Force commitments. Very excited to dust off my two babies and get them going.

Reason for my OP was simply that I like very clean installs and modern technology. I work a lot with aircraft engines and electronic ignition complete with programmed timing is standard, even on the carbed engines. Very clean and very reliable. That's what I'm looking for. Sounds like Juan's system is the leading candidate out there. Any other options?
    Mike Pilkenton
    70 GT - Corvette Yellow
    72 GT - Roadster, 3.1L V6, T5
    2008 Opel GT (w/ SKY badges)

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a look of this project secu-3.org. It is an open source.
    It has very flexible software for tuning (called "SECU-3 Manager").
    The author can also be found on the github.
    Last edited by Robdown70; 12-11-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    nitro123 likes this.
    Open source engine management / electronic ignition system project
    http://secu-3.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information