Electronic Ignition with advance
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Electronic Ignition with advance

Real Name
    Mike Pilkenton
    Downloads
    Uploads

Electronic Ignition with advance

Ok, almost all modern electronic ignitions have built in timing functions, such as advance and retard, which are preset based on rpm and rate of rpm change. I noticed the Pertronix Ignitor III models have this feature. With this you can eliminate the vacuum advance and gain a cleaner install and better performance. Is there such a unit that will fit in the Opel 1.9 engine?
    Last edited by tekenaar; 05-13-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: sp
    Mike Pilkenton
    70 GT - Corvette Yellow
    72 GT - Roadster, 3.1L V6, T5
    2008 Opel GT (w/ SKY badges)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Opel View Post
    Ok, almost all modern electronic ignitions have built in timing functions such as advance ans retard which are preset based on rpm and rate of rpm change. I noticed the Pertronix Ignitor III models have this feature. With this you can eliminate the vacuum advance and gain a cleaner install and better performance. Is there such a unit that will fit in the Opel 1.9 engine?
    I put in a late model opel distributor that has electronic ignition and it was just a distributor swap. Later Opels had the 1.9 engine only with electronic ignition. Easy swap and starts/runs with barely a touch of the key. Looks completely original too. No one could tell the diff.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank J View Post
    I put in a late model opel distributor that has electronic ignition and it was just a distributor swap. Later Opels had the 1.9 engine only with electronic ignition. Easy swap and starts/runs with barely a touch of the key. Looks completely original too. No one could tell the diff.
    Did you do a write up, or a thread with any detail info on this? Or is it really so simple that you just swap out the distributor and fire it up? Is the electronic control module built into the dist?
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Enclosed is a pic of the distributor. It really was almost that easy. you do have to take the manual fuel pump out first and change the coil as well. The modulator/ electronics were all built in the distributor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Enclosed is a pic of the distributor. It really was almost that easy. you do have to take the manual fuel pump out first and change the coil as well. The modulator/ electronics were all built in the distributor.
    Here are some pics inside the distributor and 1 with the rotor out

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, in case your wondering why the fuel pump out? because the fuel pump operates on a cam at the base of the distributor. You just got to back off the 2 fuel pump bolts without disconnecting the fuel lines before the distributor will pull out.

Real Name
    Jack Redman
    Downloads
    Uploads

Donner

Which Opel did the electronic distributor come out of?

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stacks View Post
    I believe it was a 1975 Opel Asconsa with the 1.9 L engine.

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe it was a 1975 Opel Asconsa with the 1.9 L engine.
    They also had fuel injection for the first time that year, but only in the USA because of tighter pollution requirements in the US.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stacks View Post
    They didn't come in any US-spec Opels. 1975 Opels still had points and condenser, though they did have L-Jetronic fuel injection.

Bosch came out with L-Jetronic in 1974, so the 1975 Opels were one of the first production cars to use the system.
    Last edited by RallyBob; 05-13-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    They didn't come in any US-spec Opels. 1975 Opels still had points and condenser, though they did have L-Jetronic fuel injection.

Bosch came out with L-Jetronic in 1974, so the 1975 Opels were one of the first production cars to use the system.7
    I am not sure of the year and it could have been a Kadet. I am not that familiar with the sedan body styles so much and the person that I bought it from didn't make it clear.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not sure of the year and it could have been a Kadet. I am not that familiar with the sedan body styles so much and the person that I bought it from didn't make it clear.
    The year would typically be on the distributor body.

I'm just clarifying that no North American spec Opels used this system. Last year for Opels in the US was 1975. The electronic distributors came after 1975.
    Last edited by RallyBob; 05-13-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    The year would typically be on the distributor body.

I just clarifying that no North American spec Opels used this system. Last year for Opels in the US was 1975. The electronic distributors came after 1975.
    Later today I will look it over and see if I can find a year. I have had the system installed over 20 years now and it is hard to remember that far back.

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Later today I will look it over and see if I can find a year. I have had the system installed over 20 years now and it is hard to remember that far back.
    Ok. just went out to the garage with a mirror and a mag light. One side says Bosch, made in Germany and the other side in very tiny numbers appears to be 83. Learned something new again today. Had no clue that the years were stamped on the distributors. I looked over my old distributor first so I would know where to look for the year and it says 70 even though my GT is a 71.

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok. just went out to the garage with a mirror and a mag light. One side says Bosch, made in Germany and the other side in very tiny numbers appears to be 83. Learned something new again today. Had no clue that the years were stamped on the distributors. I looked over my old distributor first so I would know where to look for the year and it says 70 even though my GT is a 71.
    here are the pics of the year and my old distributor. Maybe you can read it better. That is an inspection mirror image so it will be reversed.

Real Name
    Jack Redman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the information. Any idea where I can get one of these distributors?

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    at the end of the day, pertronix does the same thing. without buying different dizzy, appropriate coil, and ignition module

but OGTS sells used 2.0/2.2 efi ignition set for $200. including the above.

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    at the end of the day, pertronix does the same thing. without buying different dizzy, appropriate coil, and ignition module

but OGTS sells used 2.0/2.2 efi ignition set for $200. including the above.
    it's not a dizzy coil. It's a bosch and looks identical to what was there before except more power. No wiring changes, just an easy direct swap out. Why criticize something just cause you wish you thought of it first. There is no wiring of modules it is all built in . 3 bolts and the distributor comes out (including fuel pump). 1 bolt and the coil slides out after unclipping the wires. That's all. Why bad mouth an awesome plan that's worked for me for 20 years completely trouble free. Glad i'm not in your head.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    huh?

I didn't mean my post as negative criticism at all. my apologies if sounded that way.

no knock against your method, I wish I had your distributor for my efi... just posted a question about it yesterday.

just pointing out to other gentleman who wanted to do it, pertronix for $50 does the same.
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra GT; 05-13-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Opeler
    Real Name
    N/A
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Google UK ebay, then search for Manta B distributors from late 70-early 80s. There are several from new to rebuilt and used. Actually if you understand German, you could go to ebay /german and look there to. I believe it also fits a Ascona B as well with 1.9 or 2 liter.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 05-14-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information