Few more questions to get the Pertronix Install Right - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Few more questions to get the Pertronix Install Right

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lets get through the pictures first.

That silver canister in the first and second picture is a fuel filter. I prefer to use a clear filter up in that location so I can have visual confirmation that fuel exists up by the carb. The glass ones are very nice, but NAPA and the like usually only carry the cheap plastic ones. They cost ~$2 apiece for the plastic ones, so its worth swapping a new one in just to make sure that has no issues

The third and fourth pictures of the Weber box with K8257 means the PO bought a conversion kit 32/36 DGEV carburetor. That is the typical carb most daily driver Opels will have and it means I understand what you are working with! That specific version is an electric choke, which means it might be possible that the choke isn't opening up - causing a high idle. If the key has been on for a few minutes and you look down the throat of the carb, is the choke open? The choke plates are the big square plates at the top of the carburetor.

A fast and unsteady idle is a classic sign of a vacuum leak. And the biggest instigator for vacuum leak issues is sitting in a hot and dry climate for a few years unused - exactly your situation. Opel GT Source has a great write up in their 'Tips' section of their website dealing with the GT fuel system and the vacuum lines at the carburetor.

I would say read through the liked article, double check everything they suggest first and then come back with an update and we can move on from their.

One additional test I would like to ask about is brake pedal feel. Assuming the brakes work, when the car does start up and run, does the pedal get softer? And after the engine shuts off, does the pedal stiffen up again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Paul and Amanda Opelers
    Real Name
    Paul & Amanda Shankland
    Downloads
    Uploads

uggg

Thanks ! On the way into work I pit stopped by the Opel to see if I could discern soft-vs-hard brake pedal... Well, three failed attempts to get any fire and start.... I'll presume its fuel, but later will just check the plugs for fire if it fails one more time.... It TRIED to stumble a few times when I floored the throttle on the start attempts... but no workie... Ugghhh... The brakes were stiff with no start though, LOL...

More when I get more - thanks again!!
    Paul
    Paul and Amanda
    Arizona 73 Opel GT Owners

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.catherine View Post
    Thanks ! On the way into work I pit stopped by the Opel to see if I could discern soft-vs-hard brake pedal... Well, three failed attempts to get any fire and start.... I'll presume its fuel, but later will just check the plugs for fire if it fails one more time.... It TRIED to stumble a few times when I floored the throttle on the start attempts... but no workie... Ugghhh... The brakes were stiff with no start though, LOL...

More when I get more - thanks again!!
    Paul
    Seafoam should go in the gas tank.

There's not much that's going to fix this running til you get the gas system cleaned out.

The Weber 32/36 is pretty universal. When you order a kit you are just going to get some brass pieces, some gaskets, and an accelerator pump diaphragm. When you rebuild it, just spray some gumout through the passages to get all the varnish out. It will clean up pretty quick.

Gumout will take the shine off of paint so protect surfaces when using it.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information