slow windshield wipers
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: slow windshield wipers

BDD
    Member BDD is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

slow windshield wipers

What are the most common causes for the windshield wipers to move very slowly when activated? 72 GT wiring, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Pathologic Opeler My location opeldean is on a distinguished road opeldean's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

for me

for me it was low voltage, but I think there is a more common cause

Thank you:members of opelgt.com for helping me on a 7year reconstruction of the most beautiful car in the world:

Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,Manta finned pan,small oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.

Driven twice to Carlisle 2,351 miles RT successfully, broke down on first trip

crazy opeler My location opelgt73 opelgt73's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Every GT I have ever had was slow. I think they just seem slow by modern standards.
    Chris
    Shanghai, China

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder is on a distinguished road jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Disconnect the battery and clean the 4 posts in the center of the fuse box with a dremel. Undo the nuts, clean them, and clean the threaded posts and the 4 red wire connectors with a dremel. You will see brighter lights and faster wipers(still slow compared to todays standards)

HTH

Jeff
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Senior Contributor markandson will become famous soon enough markandson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have never disassembled the wiper arm pivots and the motor and re-lubed everything, there is a real good possibility that old grease is your problem. I rebuilt mine, making one good one out of two and it will run the wipers on a dry window at full speed
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia 05' Mazda Miata
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

BDD
    Member BDD is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine are very slow right now. Too slow to have been normal. I remember my past GT's being faster than this. So it's a mechanical or electrical thing.

Pathologic Opeler My location opeldean is on a distinguished road opeldean's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

my experience

mine was exactly as Jeff descibed. That is what I did and it went much faster.

Thank you:members of opelgt.com for helping me on a 7year reconstruction of the most beautiful car in the world:

Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,Manta finned pan,small oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder is on a distinguished road jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Opeldean;

Which Jeff?

I suggested cleaning the terminals

Markandson's Jeff sugguested lube of the motor.

I think performing both will yield the best results. It all depends on how much time you want to put into this.

Since I don't drive mine in the rain(except Carlisle ) it is not a major issue. I also have spare wiper motors so I might tear one down to see how easy it is to lube.

What worked for you?

Jeff
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

cleaning terminals

oxides at the 4 nuts and bus bar between was my problem, I will try to lube the motor in addition

Detritus Maximus opelbits is on a distinguished road opelbits's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is also the possibility that after all these years the wiper motors need to be 'overhauled'. This would mean having the stator and such turned and cleaned, new brushes, new wiring/terminals, etc. All of these parts can get corroded, worn, or dirty and cause a reduction in performance. A good electric motor shop can do much of the work, usually for a decent price.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information