center console ideas for 72 GT
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: center console ideas for 72 GT

Army Opeler MarkRHayes is on a distinguished road MarkRHayes's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

center console ideas for 72 GT

My opel has the big old air conditioning center console but until i figure out if i'm going to fix the A/C in it, i'm going to take it out (more room without it). Underneath it is unfinished with wiring and insulation showing. What do I do to make it look finished? Is there a kit or what? It's an automatic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

5,000 Post Club My location namba209 (R.I.P.) is on a distinguished road namba209 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ask if someone has a spare auto console cover. Sometimes they will have one gathering dust, and it doesn't hurt to ask anyway.
    Ron
    72 GT 3.4L V-6/T-5/ZF posi - almost done - Just need AC installed.
    75 Chevy monza 5.7L/TH350/Auburn 3.08 posi - Next

1000 Post Club My location grslightng02 is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ebay

Keep your eye open for the two panels that go in it's place. One goes from the bottom of the dash to the end of the shifter. The other panel goes over the emergency brake and seat belts between the seats.

I recently saw a black one for sale on EBAY. You may also find other members who have extras for sale. What color is your interior?

1000 Post Club My location Sparky73 Sparky73's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jon
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an extra Emergency Brake console (the plastic one) that is black. It's not in perfect shape, but still looks nice. Send me a PM if your interested. I am also in Michigan, so shipping would should be cheap and quick.
    Current
    1970 GT; Under Construction

Previous
    1969 GT; Street/Strip Project
    1969 GT; White with Black Interior, Automatic
    1969 GT; Black Parts Car
    1969 GT; White Parts Car
    1970 GT; Silver with Red Interior
    1971 GT; Orange with Black Interior, Turbo
    1972 GT; Red Parts Car
    1972 GT; Blue with Black Interior
    1973 GT; Pearl Blue with Black interior. Full body kit.

Member My location West Coast GT is on a distinguished road West Coast GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That console (non air conditioned model) is an area that has bothered me for years. It's fairly useless. Coins, keys, screwdrivers, etc., slide around and rattle against the hard plastic.

I'm looking into fabricating a lockable cubby / armrest / cup holder in its place. A couple of speakers would be nice too, but I'm afraid room just wouldn't be adequate. Plus, I still need access to the park brake lever.

But any ideas and/or suggestions would be welcome.

Army Opeler MarkRHayes is on a distinguished road MarkRHayes's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my interior is black. i actually have the one piece from the dash to the shifter. i need the emergency brake piece. sparky, i'll send you a pm.

'72 Opel GT (Sara) My location newman27 is on a distinguished road newman27's Avatar
    Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast GT View Post
    That console (non air conditioned model) is an area that has bothered me for years. It's fairly useless. Coins, keys, screwdrivers, etc., slide around and rattle against the hard plastic.

I'm looking into fabricating a lockable cubby / armrest / cup holder in its place. A couple of speakers would be nice too, but I'm afraid room just wouldn't be adequate. Plus, I still need access to the park brake lever.

That would be a cool upgrade (especially the cup holder which I am still struggling with). I have a short term solution though. I went to Target and bought a couple sheets of this black "grippy" material and cut it to size to fit in the emergency brake console. This stuff is "sticky" on both sides but does not have a permanent adhesive (it is sold in the automotive section for this purpose). Now, coins, etc. stay put and it is black so it just blends right in...

HTH

Matt
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, Custom CAI, Sprint Manifold,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Other Cars:
    '09 Pontiac G8 GT (Panther Black) "Jet"
    '06 Pontiac Solstice (Envious Green) "Mina"
    '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS (Black Onyx) "Raven"

1000 Post Club My location baronbors baronbors's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast GT View Post

I was thinking that possibly a 96-00 Honda Civic center console arm rest might work with some minor modifications. Has anyone tried it?

eBay Motors: 96-00 Honda Civic center console arm rest ex lx dx (item 270250919963 end time Jul-04-08 10:53:15 PDT)

Texas Opel Preservation Society

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information