Rear Glass Defroster Grid Replacements
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Glass Defroster Grid Replacements

Opeler Opel_convert is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Gordon Coggins Jr.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Rear Glass Defroster Grid Replacements

Does anyone know what the DC resistance of the rear window defroster is on the GT? I went to a junk yard today and purchased what looks to be a stock rear window with the defroster and tinted but it doesn't work, Shame because the shape of the glass was amazing.

Is there any company out there reproducing the rear window glass with the rear defroster? I am sorry if this post is in the wrong section; however, I searched the site for a windows section, but only saw window trim section.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Uber Genius My location First opel 1981 will become famous soon enough First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know the resistance but if you took a meter and checked continuity, you would be able to determine if the elements are toast.
    ANY continuity would cause the defroster to work (even in part). If you have zero functionality then you either have a blown heating element or a bad circuit.

Something to consider. The more elements that fry, the easier it is for others to fry. That's why it's important to always repair the elements if they fail.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

άber OpelGT.com Moderator My location kwilford will become famous soon enough kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sometimes you can use an ohm meter to determine where the grid is broken by carefully using the probes to look for a break in continuity. A change in resistance will indicate that the current is having to go around the break via one of the other grid circuits. If it goes "open circuit" then there are at least two breaks: one behind the outer probe, and another one behind that break!

There used to be a product sold that was a conductive paint specifically for repairing rear window defrost grids. You might check with an automotive supply store. An alternative is called a "conductive pen" which leaves a thin trace of silver, almost like a roller tip ink pen but the "ink" is actually conductive, and made of a solution that leaves a trace of actual silver. Some are actually "solder-able" but only at quite a low temperature. That and/or copper circuit tape can work to repair cracks and scratches in the grid. Both are available from an electronics supply store.

There are aftermarket stick-on grid defrosters that work fairly well. I have used them a couple of times, and I have a kit ready for when I install my rear window. It can be tricky to install them when the window is already in place as there isn't much room back there to work.

HTH
    Last edited by kwilford; 11-25-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    Keith Wilford
    If I could only find the time to work on my '71 Opel GT...

Member My location heliman is on a distinguished road heliman's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure it can be purchased in other places, but Ford sells the silver conductive paint made specifically for repairing the window traces. I've used it many times and it's always worked perfectly.

Opeler Opel_convert is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Gordon Coggins Jr.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I spent hours yesterday trying to find the open or opens but was not very successful. I did reattach the two electrical tabs as they were off when I found them. I carefully cleaned the contact points with rubbing alcohol and #0000 steel wool prior. I also wire wheeled the terminal to clean years or oxidation from it. Before attaching I tried to measure the resistance and it was open or at least greater than 20 Meg Ohms, Meter's capability. The meter and leads are working properly.

The window from my car and the junk window both measure open.

I am disappointed because I am the type of person that if it is installed on the car it has to work. I am trying to make this a show car but not an all original one. Just has to look stock but will have subtle mods for modern safety and performance. For example three point replacement seat belts, larger brake booster and master cylinder, lower stance by 1 inch, Weber carb and header.

What would most of you guys do? Install the real nice non-working factory tinted rear window, install the one that came out that doesn't work and is clear glass with terrible deep scratches, try to find another used one that works or find an after market one that works. I guess I could also try to take it to a glass place to see if they could repair it.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 11-24-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Uber Genius My location First opel 1981 will become famous soon enough First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Opel_convert View Post
    I spent hours yesterday trying to find the open or opens but was not very successful. I did reattach the two electrical tabs as they were off when I found them. I carefully cleaned the contact points with rubbing alcohol and #0000 steel wool prior. I also wire wheeled the terminal to clean years or oxidation from it. Before attaching I tried to measure the resistance and it was open or at least greater than 20 Meg Ohms, Meter's capability. The meter and leads are working properly.

The window from my car and the junk window both measure open.

I am disappointed because I am the type of person that if it is installed on the car it has to work. I am trying to make this a show car but not an all original one. Just has to look stock but will have subtle mods for modern safety and performance. For example three point replacement seat belts, larger brake booster and master cylinder, lower stance by 1 inch, Weber carb and header.

What would most of you guys do? Install the real nice non-working factory tinted rear window, install the one that came out that doesn't work and is clear glass with terrible deep scratches, try to find another used one that works or find an after market one that works. I guess I could also try to take it to a glass place to see if they could repair it.
    ^this
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 11-24-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Opeler Anonymous D is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The tiny defroster conducting elements within the glass are vulnerable to corrosion from the combination of direct sun exposure and internal car moisture. The metal conducting strips were not located to be accessible where they run within the glass for service, and their metallic formulation was not designed to last for 40 years.

Replacements were sold in Germany in the 1990's in various tinted shades, and there may still be a pane or two available from someone's old stock if you track it down.

Kalifornia Kid My location DennisGardiner is on a distinguished road DennisGardiner's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Purchased a universal rear defroster grid kit from JC Whitney back in the mid 90s for my Kadett. It was a very nice kit that was very easy to install with the glass out of the car. Came with the timer electronics with an automatic off feature, relay etc.
    The only draw back was the grids were about double the thickness of the oem ones. With the Internet search engines today, I can only imagine you'd find a nice kit that features skinny grids.
    Drifting: dorifuto sōkō, a motor sport where the driver intentionally oversteers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while preserving vehicle control.

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder is on a distinguished road jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Opel_convert View Post
    I did reattach the two electrical tabs as they were off when I found them. I carefully cleaned the contact points with rubbing alcohol and #0000 steel wool prior. I also wire wheeled the terminal to clean years or oxidation from it.
    What did you use to re-attach the electrical tabs to the glass? I'm in the same spot and would liket to attach them back on the window.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Member My location guyopel is on a distinguished road guyopel's Avatar
    Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GM recommends using silver solder on the terminals. HTH
    John
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 11-26-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information