Which MIG Welder for Body Work?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which MIG Welder for Body Work?

Senior Member My location EJprovost is on a distinguished road EJprovost's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which MIG Welder for Body Work?

I need advice on the right welding equipment to buy for welding on the body of a GT. I am looking at a MIG 90 AMP FLUX WIRE WELDER, 115 Volts. Any suggestions? I would like to do some minor welding here and there and after that use the equipment to weld together extra car parts for a garden sculpture. Will this equipment work?
    Last edited by EJprovost; 11-14-2007 at 02:19 PM.
    "Original Opel GT owner 1971, 1973"
    "Enjoy The Ride!"
    1969 GT, 1973 GT "Quazar"
    1995 Camaro Z28
    New Birthday presents for daughters:
    1970 GT, 1971 GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler rowdygt is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Liz...It will work..but not too well...get a MIG that is convertible from core wire (gasless) to gas wire using argon mix. The core wire works great with thicker metal, but for body panels you will find the gas works much better...Lincoln 135 MIG is a really nice setup, reasonable price, and runs on 110 volt. They usually come with the regulator but you will have to get an Argon mix tank at Welders Supply...kinda pricey for what it is though.

Kalifornia Kid My location DennisGardiner is on a distinguished road DennisGardiner's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will second that vote.

Get a MIG that uses the Shielded Gas.

I have recently upgraded from a Non-Gas Mig to a Lincoln 180c (I'm using NOS gas, recommended by my gas supply house) and the difference in weld performance is night & day.

With the old welder, I easily burned through Opel sheet metal. To slow or 'try' and prevent this I'm crank up the air compressor to reduce the voltage in my garage so I could weld better.

With the new welder,.... oh my!!!!! the welds are sooooo nice, it makes me look like a professional boiler maker!

Clean, no slag, excellent penetration, no burn through, easy to start the arch, ..... just so, so so nice.

I'll never go back to my old machine, (unless I really hate myself that day).
    Dennis:banghead:
    Drifting: dorifuto sōkō, a motor sport where the driver intentionally oversteers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while preserving vehicle control.

Opeler My location SpringGT is on a distinguished road SpringGT's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a MIG that uses inert gas shielding. It's much better than the flux core and will make you proud of your welds. Look at the Millermatic 140 if most of your work is auto bodywork. It is 140 amp (24 ga.- 3/16" capability), uses 110 V.,and uses gas shielding.
    It has automatic setting. You just dial in metal thickness and wire size and it gives you the proper setting, or if you want you can manually set the amps and wire feed speed. If you get a much larger amp capacity than this, you'll need a 240 volt input supply.
    Last edited by SpringGT; 11-14-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Site Admin My location Gary will become famous soon enough Gary will become famous soon enough Gary's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought one of these cheapo imported TIG/ARC/Plasma cutter combo units. Have not used it extensively yet, but the plasma cutter and stick welder work well. There was a minor problem when I first fired it up but that was fixed by removing the cover and checking the internal plug connections as one was loose from shipping. TIG should work well for sheetmetal and you can weld aluminum with the AC/DC model.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.

Senior Member My location EJprovost is on a distinguished road EJprovost's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice suggestions! This is exactly what I need to know. Now for the Garden Sculpture: I thought I would do my own engine rebuild with a lot of sarcasm involved. I have a bunch of crazy carbs I took off the cars I bought, those are going to look real good attached to my engine creation. Will the above welding recommenations be able to weld the heavier metal in the carbs and manifolds?
    "Enjoy The Ride!"
    1995 Camaro Z28
    1970 GT, 1971 GT

Member My location Dennis Texas is on a distinguished road Dennis Texas's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I bought one of these cheapo imported TIG/ARC/Plasma cutter combo units. Have not used it extensively yet, but the plasma cutter and stick welder work well. .

Have you used it for cutting stainless yet if so how thick will it go and how good did it respond?

If everything seems to be going well you have obviously overlooked something.:banghead:

Site Admin My location Gary will become famous soon enough Gary will become famous soon enough Gary's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Texas View Post
    Have you used it for cutting stainless yet if so how thick will it go and how good did it respond?
    No stainless yet. It cut through a piece of 2" channel iron like it was butter and then made some fancy designs some sheetmetal.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.

baz
    boomerang opeler My location baz is on a distinguished road baz's Avatar
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EJprovost View Post
    Nice suggestions! This is exactly what I need to know. Now for the Garden Sculpture: I thought I would do my own engine rebuild with a lot of sarcasm involved. I have a bunch of crazy carbs I took off the cars I bought, those are going to look real good attached to my engine creation. Will the above welding recommenations be able to weld the heavier metal in the carbs and manifolds?
    mixed metals like steel/cast iron and the alloys used in a carb will not weld together you can weld steel tabs to bolt the carbs on to it though
    Copyright 2003-2012 barry williams
    All Rights Reserved

B.O.O.B. founding member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    mixed metals like steel/cast iron and the alloys used in a carb will not weld together you can weld steel tabs to bolt the carbs on to it though
    I'm used to using a mixture of oxygen propane, however I don't think that will get hot enough. What gas or mixture should I be using to weld the steel tabs? Or will the MIG welder work?
    Last edited by EJprovost; 11-15-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    "Enjoy The Ride!"
    1995 Camaro Z28
    1970 GT, 1971 GT

Detroit,where my home was My location 2 Fast 4 U is on a distinguished road 2 Fast 4 U's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erick Janssen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With the mig welder I use a mixture gas of 86% Argon and 14% CO2, welds very wel with my recently bought mig welder, just see if the transformer wires are made of copper instead of aluminium, they are a bit expensiver but are a lot trust worthy. jmtcw
    Last edited by 2 Fast 4 U; 11-15-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Opel Ascona;
    Only built from 1970 - 1975

Senior Contributor markandson will become famous soon enough markandson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also get a 100 Amp machine made by Lincoln at your local home depot. Just make sure it is the model that comes with the gas gauges and you are all set. Mine will weld up to 1/4" material, but can be turned down for sheet metal when you use .024" wire. You need a 20amp circuit to power it, and don't use an extension cord unless it is at least 12ga and not over 25' long.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSquirt, Ali Flywheel w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Karmann Ghia 05' Mazda Miata
    '08 BMW M3 '07 Lexus GS-350

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oxy-acetylene

Quote Originally Posted by EJprovost View Post
    I'm used to using a mixture of oxygen propane, however I don't think that will get hot enough. What gas or mixture should I be using to weld the steel tabs? Or will the MIG welder work?
    The oxy-propane mix is best used for cutting and heating - if you want to weld steel you need oxy and acetylene for a 'gas' torch - one with a flame.
    An electric MIG welder will weld steel tabs/screw studs very well too.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Harbor Freight is having a sale right now on this type of equipment. The brand name on the equipment is "Chicago Electric". Anyone familiar with the quality of this brand?
    "Enjoy The Ride!"
    1995 Camaro Z28
    1970 GT, 1971 GT

Member jerseyopel is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

mig

Yes. Go with miller or Lincoln. The Lincoln equip at home depot works well for home/shop use. I have a lot of knowledge with welding and would not use much else.

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel is on a distinguished road neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's the cheap, chinese-made stuff. For something like a welder, I think most people would recommend going with a quality name like Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, Century, etc.

If you DO go with something like the Chicago Electric, try to find out if your consumables will cross over with other brands (like the tips, for example). You'll eventually be replacing various parts (stuff like wire sleeves and rollers) and it's convenient to have parts near by at home improvement stores or the like.

For working on your car a mig welder would be excellent. For your art needs, have you considered a Henrob torch? It's cheap (like $400). It's basically an advanced oxygen/acetylene torch that will allow you to weld steel, stainless, aluminum, and will even allow you to repair cast iron. It will also allow you to cut up to 1 inch thick steel. It's a little cumbersome to use at first but with practice it will allow you to make some really nice welds that approach that of a tig weld. For SMALL sheet metal jobs it's great because the heat control helps keep down warpage and your weld remains malleable (not brittle like a mig weld). It welds like a tig welder and uses tig rod - so it's slow, but it can be equally strong. One other big plus is that it is portable.
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

Manta Saviour blancojp will become famous soon enough blancojp's Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We use a different approach when it comes to sheet metal. If you do some research on a company called "eastwood", there is an attachement for a stick welder which allows you to weld sheet metal using thin rods. We use this all of the time and the results are excellent.

Not bad for a $79 price tag!!

For all other items we use the standard Lincoln gas wire feed unit which can do the rest of the work quite nicely.

Opeler My location Gary Sullivan is on a distinguished road Gary Sullivan's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

HTR Tig?

Anyone had any good or bad experience with the HTR Tig? They are not as pricy as the Millers & Lincolns, but I haven't heard from anyone whether or not they have used them and liked them?
    Gary
    NYAsconaGuy

Kick a little asphalt My location MantAscona is on a distinguished road MantAscona's Avatar
    Real Name
    Duane
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Gary,

I'm guessing you mean the HTP Invertig 201. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I'll let you know when I begin using it.

Duane
    Attached Images
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel is on a distinguished road neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those look like really nice units. Plus, they apparently deliver 200 welding amps using only a 30 amp 220 volt single-phase line in your shop! Can't do that with the comparable Lincoln or Miller units. Cool Duane! So let me know when you're able to lay a sanitary weld in stainless steel - I have a brewery half built. The payoffs will be worth it!

Todd
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information