Replacement Floor Pans
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Replacement Floor Pans

Member My location lezliewk lezliewk's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Tipton
    Downloads
    Uploads

Replacement Floor Pans

Does anyone know off a place to get replacement floor pans for GT. Looking for a friend who just bought a couple of GT's He is hooked:banghead:
    Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member madmann is on a distinguished road madmann's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in that boat also

I have been told that early 80's mustang floor pans will work.

also vw bug pans will work on one side but not both as they are not wide enough.

Senior Contributor markandson will become famous soon enough markandson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what they make welders for. The Ghia pans might be a little wider. Mine is in storage, but if I get a chance I will measure the floor width and let you know. Corvette Parts & Accessories / Air-Cooled Volkswagen Parts & Accessories from Mid America Motorworks
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSquirt, Ali Flywheel w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Karmann Ghia 05' Mazda Miata
    '08 BMW M3 '07 Lexus GS-350

Thread Killer My location Donha is on a distinguished road Donha's Avatar
    Real Name
    Don Harrold
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Moe and Curley.......looks like we could fill a need and do the club a service....I would be willing to proto this sheetmetal.....we could use the first set for Madmann's car...let's take some meaurements

Member My location Gordy is on a distinguished road Gordy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When I first joined the forum in 2002 the main reason was to sell some Opel parts that I had stashed in the rafters of my garage before we were to move to a new home. The items I sold on the forum were new replacement floor pans, inner rocker panels, and rear wheel arch replacement panels, all for GTs, which I had purchased from C&R Small cars probably in the early 90s. Not sure who had purchased the panels (I think I got $70 each for the floor pans- boy, should have moved those with me!) but if anyone has some that can be used as a template, that would be a great start.

1000 Post Club wklopf is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    New replacement floor pans are available, but in Germany. Below are links to the listings for the two sides. Both include the inner sill. The price of 289 Euros is equal to approximately $385 at the current exchange rate. BUT, these prices include the German value added tax of 19%. Products shipped outside of the European Union are exempt from this tax, which would bring the price down to about $310 to $315 each. Shipping would be significant, but if a larger number of items were ordered and shipped together and maybe distributed at Carlisle, the costs might be manageable. Bill

Bodenblech mit Schweller Opel GT opel-gt-teile.de, Kotflgel, Blechteile, US GT, Neuteile

Opel GT Bodenblech Schweller opel-gt-teile.de, Kotflgel, Blechteile, US GT, Neuteile

Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This German outfit also has the middle and outer sill parts to go with the new floor pans which have the inner sill. Prices on these run about $50 each, again including the tax. Can someone reproduce these parts over here for that price?

Auenschweller Opel GT opel-gt-teile.de, Kotflgel, Blechteile, US GT, Neuteile

Zwischenschweller Opel GT opel-gt-teile.de, Kotflgel, Blechteile, US GT, Neuteile

Opeler My location Katheryn_ca is on a distinguished road Katheryn_ca's Avatar
    Real Name
    Katheryn McCoy
    Downloads
    Uploads

61 Rekord Floor pans?

Any volunteers on these? I have tried all the sites that have been recommended but no one has the floor pans. Also need to rebuild rocker panels and rear 1/4's.
    Ms. Kat
    a.k.a. Crazy Opel Lady

1961 Rekord - At the farm, waiting for spring time
    1971 GT - Standard
    1972 GT - Automatic
    1975 Sportwagon (purchase in progress )
    1985 AMC Jeep XJ - For Sale
    1988 Mercedes 420SEL - For Sale
    1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE (what the heck, it was free)
    1998 Mercedes E320
    2002 Chev Malibu
    2002 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Thank God I don't pay for parking!

~* A girl can't have too many cars! *~

1000 Post Club My location grslightng02 is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
    New replacement floor pans are available, but in Germany. Below are links to the listings for the two sides. Both include the inner sill. The price of 289 Euros is equal to approximately $385 at the current exchange rate. BUT, these prices include the German value added tax of 19%. Products shipped outside of the European Union are exempt from this tax, which would bring the price down to about $310 to $315 each. Shipping would be significant, but if a larger number of items were ordered and shipped together and maybe distributed at Carlisle, the costs might be manageable. Bill
    Wouldn't it be easier to order just ONE set of right and left floor pans and find a place here in the US that can replicate these parts for production in larger quantities? Unless you're hardcore on keeping your car esthetically identical, as long as the floor pan fits, is functional and safe, I wouldn't mind if it varied slightly from the original part.

Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Katheryn_ca View Post
    Any volunteers on these? I have tried all the sites that have been recommended but no one has the floor pans. Also need to rebuild rocker panels and rear 1/4's.
    Katheryn, You might check this link out. They used to offer these repair kits for Rekord 2-doors, but I haven't seen those in a while. You might inquire. Bill

Einstiegsblech/Schweller Opel Rekord P2 4-türig BJ60-63 | eBay

1000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano will become famous soon enough P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lezliewk View Post
    Does anyone know off a place to get replacement floor pans for GT. Looking for a friend who just bought a couple of GT's He is hooked:banghead:
    Floor pans for GT are also available from Splendidparts, Germany.
    Left: Bodengruppe komplett, links -- Splendidparts
    Right: Bodengruppe komplett, rechts -- Splendidparts

Not cheap, though...

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grslightng02 View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to order just ONE set of right and left floor pans and find a place here in the US that can replicate these parts for production in larger quantities? Unless you're hardcore on keeping your car esthetically identical, as long as the floor pan fits, is functional and safe, I wouldn't mind if it varied slightly from the original part.
    I have some German reproduction floorpans in my barn. I tried to get quotes on having them made here years ago. If I had 500-1000 pieces made, the price was reasonable. But if I had 50-100 pieces made (a more realistic production number), the cost of the tooling was stratospheric relative to the final part. But the tooling price must be absorbed in the final product cost.

Think about the size of a floor pan, and then think about a male and female solid metal die for each side (left and right). There's probably $3000 in metal alone in each die, not including the cost to design and machine them!
    Last edited by RallyBob; 02-10-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Member madmann is on a distinguished road madmann's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    I have some German reproduction floorpans in my barn. I tried to get quotes on having them made here years ago. If I had 500-1000 pieces made, the price was reasonable. But if I had 50-100 pieces made (a more reaslistic production number), the cost of the tooling was stratospheric relative to the final part. But the tooling price must be absorbed in the final product cost.

Think about the size of a floor pan, and then think about a male and female solid metal die for each side (left and right). There's probably $3000 in metal alone in each die, not including the cost to design and machine them!
    Rallybob may have a better template to get measurements for the floor pans. Bob we may need you to take some measurements of our floor pans. It may be possible for us to reproduce them without dies. Don have some nice laser cutting equipment and metal forming equipment. I was nice enough to prototype them in my gt restoration. I telling you taking one for the team that's a solid!

regards

tomking My location tomking is on a distinguished road tomking's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by madmann View Post
    Rallybob may have a better template to get measurements for the floor pans. Bob we may need you to take some measurements of our floor pans. It may be possible for us to reproduce them without dies. Don have some nice laser cutting equipment and metal forming equipment. I was nice enough to prototype them in my gt restoration. I telling you taking one for the team that's a solid!

regards
    All for one, one for all and every man for himself!
    TMK

Thread Killer My location Donha is on a distinguished road Donha's Avatar
    Real Name
    Don Harrold
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a way to soft tool these....might have to change the strengthening ribs a little and go with a welded seam in a few areas.....SWMO is going to take this challenge....I own a fabrication business...see at www.midampp.com......you will see that our capabilities are within making this happen....Mike, Tom and I will measure these up and present a CAD drawing model for your feedback......

Opeler jaykellogg is on a distinguished road jaykellogg's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jay Kellogg
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Couple of thoughts. I recall seeing people working on 3d models of the GT on the internet. Is it possible to create flat templates from a 3d model? How cool would it be to have a catalog of say Adobe PDF files for every body panel. Take the file to Kinkos and get it printed to scale and then make the simple pieces or take to a fabricator for the trickier pieces. I think making measurements of a panel and reproducing from that would be very difficult. many different angles, bends curves....

That being said, after cutting out my rotten floor board sections I traced the holes with manilla folders and cut with scissors to fit. I bought 3 pieces of sheet metal from Lowes ($33 each) and that was enough to replace all rot on the bottom of the car. Since I don't have the ability to put the stamped dimpling in, it was eliminated and I went with a slightly heavier gauge to hopefully replace any loss in strength that the stamping adds.

Kind of covering both ends of the spectrum here!

Opeler Site Supporter My location wayne70gt wayne70gt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Noticed these on craigslist. $400 for rust free floor pans.

Opel GT Rust free floor pans

Wayne

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykellogg View Post
    Couple of thoughts. I recall seeing people working on 3d models of the GT on the internet. Is it possible to create flat templates from a 3d model? How cool would it be to have a catalog of say Adobe PDF files for every body panel. Take the file to Kinkos and get it printed to scale and then make the simple pieces or take to a fabricator for the trickier pieces. I think making measurements of a panel and reproducing from that would be very difficult. many different angles, bends curves....

That being said, after cutting out my rotten floor board sections I traced the holes with manilla folders and cut with scissors to fit. I bought 3 pieces of sheet metal from Lowes ($33 each) and that was enough to replace all rot on the bottom of the car. Since I don't have the ability to put the stamped dimpling in, it was eliminated and I went with a slightly heavier gauge to hopefully replace any loss in strength that the stamping adds.

Kind of covering both ends of the spectrum here!
    Actually the "dimples" or formed in "rails" are to eliminate noise and vibration rattles, could be simulated by welding in small square tubing, at least that's what I am contemplating doing to the under side of my soon to be made homemade floor pans in similar positions to the "rails", unless some one gets around to producing them soon.
    "Be Like Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee

Opeler jaykellogg is on a distinguished road jaykellogg's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jay Kellogg
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow73GT View Post
    Actually the "dimples" or formed in "rails" are to eliminate noise and vibration rattles, could be simulated by welding in small square tubing, at least that's what I am contemplating doing to the under side of my soon to be made homemade floor pans in similar positions to the "rails", unless some one gets around to producing them soon.
    Thanks for the info, I did not know that. Hopefully the Eastwood Acoustic Barrier we used will help compensate for eliminating the dimples. Manufacturer states 65% reduction in road noise.

enu
    Dog Man My location enu is an unknown quantity at this point enu's Avatar
    Real Name
    patrick capasso
    Downloads
    Uploads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information