Opel Wheel Bolt Pattern
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opel Wheel Bolt Pattern

GT'er in training johnbran
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question ok....more questions

Here I go again, but I have another question about the wonderful GT. I have been told that the GT wheel bolt pattern is 4X101.6mm. Is this correct? I have seen GT's with the monza or vega type wheels which have the same bolt pattern as a chevette (4X100mm), so I recently tried one of my spare chevette wheels on it and it went right on with no troubles. I realize that the bolt patterns only vary by 1.6mm so it is not too surprising that it bolted on, but I was wondering if this would present a problem if actually driven on the street everyday. While it seems that the lug nuts tighten down firmly and correctly, they are just a little offset in their recessed holes. But they are all four equally offset so they should theoretically balance out the load. I was just curious if anyone had ever tried these wheels and if they had any problems with them. If these wheels will work, then it would increase the wheel options on the GT greatly since 4X100mm wheels are much more readily available, both new and used. Just thought I would throw that one out there and see what the consensus is on it.

Thanks,
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member My location Stanley_P Stanley_P's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    John,

Try this site, this article tell you all about tires and rims. http://www.opelclub.com/public/blitz...les/wheels.pdf

Thanks,
    Stanley

Have Opel, Will Travel oldopelguy is on a distinguished road oldopelguy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

101.6mm=4"

No, the Opel is 100mm, so is the Kadett D (Chevette) which is why those wheels go right on. Chevetts are good doner cars for wheels, but since they only ever came with 13" wheels, same as the Opel...

American cars, like the Vega and the Monza use the 4" pattern, or 101.6mm.

The 4x100mm bolt pattern is very common, but on front wheel drive cars where mounting flange on the wheel is set out farther torwards the outer edge of the wheel to allow cv joints to pivit nearer the center of the wheel. If one of these wheels is installed on an Opel you get a kind-of neat shrunken-head effect with the wheels and a "cool" 2-4" narrower track, both of which are not condusive to handling or asthetics.

Any Aussie guys out there? 80-82 vintage Holden Commodore's had the right size 15" wheel with the correct offset, stock. They also had some cool 80's style mags on the Sporty versions. The steel rims can be had for @$75 Aussie a set of 4, and the Mags for @$200 aussie a set. (remember 1 $US is almost 2 $ Aussie).
    My friend in Australia has fallen out of touch (even though I still have a 56 Desoto Hemi for him) but I would love to make some new friends...

Opel Geek chuckspeed
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you do a web search, there's a guy somewhere in the Midwest (i think) who imports old Holdens. If I remember right, I found him during a Road Warrior search.

the last of the interceptors...

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think the info sounded correct when I first heard it and I knew you guys could set it straight for me. I really appreciate all the helpful people on this site and I hope you all won't get annoyed by my endless questions before it's over. I'm sure I'll have many more questions before this project gets completed. I can just about tear down and rebuild a chevy small block with my eyes closed, but this GT is a completely different animal and there's alot I still need to learn about it. It really is great to have this site with so many knowledgable people that are willing to pass along some of that to us new GT'ers.
    Thanks again everyone,
    John

Giddy in Opelness Kristi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh John you cant have more mindless questions than I do .. and if they still talk to me you're so in the clear!

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I guess we all have to learn somewhere Kristi. Actually, you've asked a lot of questions that I need answered, so I've learned a lot from reading the replies to your questions. Between the two of us, we may someday know enough to keep our little cars going on our own.......well, maybe someday.

John

Giddy in Opelness Kristi
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I sure hope so cuz they're so dern cute!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information