Kadett to GT rear axle swap, Rallybob HELP PLEASE!!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kadett to GT rear axle swap, Rallybob HELP PLEASE!!

Opeler aknassassin is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kadett to GT rear axle swap, Rallybob HELP PLEASE!!

I'm currently in the process of swapping a '70 Kadett rear axle with my GT rear just because its available. To much dismay they torque tubes are different and the driveshaft on the GT doesn't attach to the Kadett tube. Has anyone done this swap and have some pointers or ideas for what I can do? Rallybob, could really use some insight into this one. I can swap parts off the GTs tube onto the Kadetts and vice versa, all the diameters are different and its going to take some machine work no matter what. Might end up being as crude as a saw, grinder, and welder but we'll find more out about that later. Any any insight, ideas, whatever is welcome, lets make this a good thread, maybe some other pre early GT owners could benefit from this swap since the pinion bearings alone are $180. Oh yeah i tried multiple searches and found nothing on this so if theres already a write up on this just yell at me or something cause I couldn't find it.
    Oh yeah i'm in Alaska, machine shops are limited but hey Fairbanks is only 230 miles away, have to go get some groceries anyway.
    '69 OPEL GT Rebuilt 1.9L w/ 5 Miles(rearend locked up on maiden voyage)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Senior Contributor My location Killer Texas GT is on a distinguished road Killer Texas GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds as if your Kadett is a 1.1 the 1.9 Kadett rear end is a bolt over swap for the GT. If so, ( 1.1 ) it won't hold up to the 1.9 power so don't waste the money or the long drive around the block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, i'll be taking it back to the guy I got it from.

Opeler mrtzmd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bmw or Isuzu

Just a suggestion... Think about doing the swap with an isuzu impulse (82-84) or an 80's 3 series bmw. I've done the isuzu and very happy, bearings are $60 and you'll have disc brakes in the back . The beamer swap is more complicated but it will withstand up to 200 HP and last a lifetime. Both of these rearends are at you pickurparts and go for 180 to 250 dollars. Good Luck.
    Mauri

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks I'll look into that, being in Rural Alaska i'm not sure how many beamers or Impulses we have laying around but heck i didn't think I'd run into another opel either. , to bad that opel wasn't what i needed. Thanks again. Time to do some more research.

Senior Contributor My location Killer Texas GT is on a distinguished road Killer Texas GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

another idea

look for a Buick Opel by Isuzu 76 to78 or 9 you have to modify a few things for the panhard bar to work but the rest of it will work with the GT rear end, torque tube, and shaft, gearing is a little differant 318 ratio, only 3/4" wider that the GT instead of 2" for the Impulse. (and by chance you find both the disc brakes of the Impulse bolt onto the Buick Opel by Isuzu rear end)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are parts such as bearings, diff. gear ratios, and brake pads widely available for the Buick Opel By Isuzu? I did find one of these locally and am going to look at it tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information