Early Rear Axles With Snap Rings
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Knorm65
  • 1 Post By Knorm65
  • 1 Post By The Scifi Guy
  • 2 Post By First opel 1981
  • 2 Post By The Scifi Guy

Thread: Early Rear Axles With Snap Rings

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had to replace a snap ring on my rear axle end today. For those of you that don't know, the 1968-1970 rear ends on the GT are held in place by snap rings on the splined axle shaft.
    What really freaks me out is the fact I found my missing snap ring in the sludge in the bottom of the diff and it was NOT broken OR stretched! This means that when a previous owner was driving this car at some point his right rear axle was no longer attached to his car!!!

HOW TO REPLACE SNAP RINGS:
    I ordered new rings from OGTS and used a 90° snap ring plier to cram into the tiny amount of area for putting the ring on.
    1. Unless you can find snap ring pliers that can expand more than mine do you will have to do it this way.
    2. Push the axle in to where the splines are barely held into the differential but not visible behind the rear cover.
    3. Position the snap ring on the pliers directly in front of the hole the axle will push through.
    4. Push the axle in as hard as you can, this will pin the snap ring into the groove on the axle.
    5. Apply pressure to the wheel hub and slowly turn it towards you as pry unseated parts of the snap ring into the groove with a flat head screw driver.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1451444363.901640.jpg
    On the left is an intact snap ring on the right is the axle missing one.
    ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1451444585.712759.jpg
    Brand new snap ring from OGTS
    ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1451444687.247607.jpg
    The missing snap ring found in the bottom of the diff. Notice nothing is wrong with it!?
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT ARA AC, European 2.0L and Weber DGAS
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa "Fancy Rat Rod"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It could be a good idea to remove the drum before pushing the axle inwards.
    Just sayin

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    It could be a good idea to remove the drum before pushing the axle inwards.
    Just sayin
    Why would you even take time to comment that? First off I don't even have brake drums. Second off it wouldn't matter if they were on and would probably give you more leverage.
    Frozen Tundra GT likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I realize upgrading to the newer style axle would be ideal but is there anyway to better secure the old style axles that a snap ring?

Harold

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    I realize upgrading to the newer style axle would be ideal but is there anyway to better secure the old style axles that a snap ring?

Harold

TWO snap rings. I think it was Otto who carved the axle's groove a little wider so that two snap rings could be put on to take up some of the play between the snap ring and the diff gizmo. We discussed this when I was putting the disc brakes on my early style 3:18 rear.

Knorm, I never had to push on the axles with any force to get them to pass though the diff gizmo enough to get the rings on. Are they fighting you? You might want to check out why if this is so.
    That snap ring you found in the funk looks a little sprung. They only have to be sprung a little bit to not fit well at all. If something is making your axles not want to stay in the diff or is actively trying to pull them out, a loose fitting snap ring could pop off.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    TWO snap rings. I think it was Otto who carved the axle's groove a little wider so that two snap rings could be put on to take up some of the play between the snap ring and the diff gizmo. We discussed this when I was putting the disc brakes on my early style 3:18 rear.

Knorm, I never had to push on the axles with any force to get them to pass though the diff gizmo enough to get the rings on. Are they fighting you? You might want to check out why if this is so.
    That snap ring you found in the funk looks a little sprung. They only have to be sprung a little bit to not fit well at all. If something is making your axles not want to stay in the diff or is actively trying to pull them out, a loose fitting snap ring could pop off.
    That snap ring may be "sprung" to much but it is not any more so than the new one are after using snap ring pliers on them. The reason we had to force the axle in is because my snap ring pliers couldn't expand near enough to put the ring on the axle.

The end of my axle shaft is perfectly fine and there's nothing else in the diff that could cause it to fall off. I wonder if the previous owner pulled on the hub so hard for some reason that it popped off.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    That snap ring may be "sprung" to much but it is not any more so than the new one are after using snap ring pliers on them. The reason we had to force the axle in is because my snap ring pliers couldn't expand near enough to put the ring on the axle.

The end of my axle shaft is perfectly fine and there's nothing else in the diff that could cause it to fall off. I wonder if the previous owner pulled on the hub so hard for some reason that it popped off.
    Likely scenario is that some bonehead owned the car previously and didn't know the axle even had a snap ring.
    He then, probably, proceeded to use the sledge on the brake drum method of extracting the axle from the housing.
    This would be enough force to pop the snap ring off the axle and it would just slide out fine.

Then, not knowing the axle had a snap ring, he reassembled it and let the dust cover hold the axle in place.

Ask me how I came to this conclusion...
    poor gt (R.I.P) and Knorm65 like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Likely scenario is that some bonehead owned the car previously and didn't know the axle even had a snap ring.
    He then, probably, proceeded to use the sledge on the brake drum method of extracting the axle from the housing.
    This would be enough force to pop the snap ring off the axle and it would just slide out fine.

Then, not knowing the axle had a snap ring, he reassembled it and let the dust cover hold the axle in place.

Ask me how I came to this conclusion...
    That is a likely scenario too. There's no evidence of scrapes on the bottom of the car, so I guess that person never drove it again.
    Moral of this whole story is don't hammer or yank on an early axle I guess haha.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aint the early model axles held in with C-clips.
    The only way to remove them is by first taking the cross pin out.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aint the early model axles held in with C-clips.
    The only way to remove them is by first taking the cross pin out.
    Look at the pictures above. It's a snap ring, you can remove it by expanding them with pliers and wiggling the shaft out.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    Look at the pictures above. It's a snap ring, you can remove it by expanding them with pliers and wiggling the shaft out.

Yes I looked at them.
    The stock C-clips has a much higher load level foot print than those silly snap rings! IMO

If you want I can tell you how to make a open diff. act more like a lsd unit.....

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I looked at them.
    The stock C-clips has a much higher load level foot print than those silly snap rings! IMO

If you want I can tell you how to make a open diff. act more like a lsd unit.....
    What Wrench is talking about is, most GM diffs, for years, had C Clip axles, with a center pin holding them in, that could not be taken apart until you took out the center pin, which meant taking out that weird bolt, which was usually broken.

If this early rear end, is on a daily driver, it's no big, but I'd consider having the rear axles machined for those C Clips.

Those snap rings are a Failure waiting to happen.
    I'm just another Opel Rehab Failure.

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, tell me all about how to mod the clippy snappy thing on my 3:18 rear with the discs. I haven't put it back together micro-partly because of the clippy snappy thing. And what's all this talk about safety pins holding stuff together?

I'm going to need high quality pics, painfully obvious and detailed instructions with correct spelling and punctuation, and some beer.

Opeler My location Bill Hoffmann's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My dad told me how he lost an axle clip once and the axle started sliding out. It was probably a Chevy. He was able to slide the axle back in, but had to drive the rest of the way home taking only right turns so it would not slide out again.

Bill

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Many years ago, I had a rear wheel bearing go bad on my 1966 Kadett. What I found there was that there was no retainer of any kind on the axle shaft. I just reviewed tha parts catalog on that Kadett as well as the GTs. On that Kadett, the only thing holding the axle in place was the bearing retainer on the wheel bearing. That holds true for the 1.1 liter GTs. Bill

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thread Information