Antiseizing stainless steel for helical inserts
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Antiseizing stainless steel for helical inserts

Opeler Lindsay
    Downloads
    Uploads

Antiseizing stainless steel for helical inserts

Viewing McMaster-Carr to compare key-locking thread inserts and helical style.
    Found antiseizing, 18-8 stainless steel for helical inserts.

Anybody have experience with antiseizing helical inserts?

Stainless Steel Threaded Insert Material Types:

*18-8 Stainless Steel Offers excellent corrosion resistance; it may be mildly magnetic.

*Antiseizing 18-8 Stainless Steel Lubricated for gall resistance. Galling, also called seizing, is when two metals stick together and cannot be easily loosened. A combination of nonmagnetic 18-8 stainless steel, manganese, nitrogen, and silicon reduces friction to minimize wear with no additional plating or coating required. Compatible with stainless steel fasteners.

*316 Stainless Steel Has better corrosion resistance than 18-8 stainless steel because it contains molybdenum, which increases resistance to chlorides and sulfates.

NOTE:
    I placed this discussion in exhaust system. Consider antiseizing helical inserts to repair a SPRINT exhaust manifold. Don't think there is enought edge distance at "exhaust pipe header flange" to use key locking inserts. Key-locking insert for M8 x 1.25, requires M12 or 1/2-13 tap hole to install insert.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 11-11-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added Note:

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

HeliCoils

HeliCoils are bad news for cast iron exhaust manifolds as they tend to unwind when the bolt is removed some time later.
    Just drill the stripped holes to 5/16" (8mm is very close) and tap the holes 3/8" UNC so you can use 3/8" stainless steel studs. The larger and coarser UNC thread is much stronger in cast iron. With studs the thread does not get stressed so much and may never need fixing again.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Detritus Maximus opelbits is on a distinguished road opelbits's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Although I have not had any problems with helicoils in cast iron, if you can save as much cast iron meat as possible, do it.

And use brass nuts, not steel or stainless. The brass won't seize and if there is a problem, it is much, much easier to drill it off.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

jtb
    Member My location jtb is on a distinguished road jtb's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When I had aluminum heads with cast iron exhaust manifolds, I had lots of problems with the exhaust bolts ripping out the threads. After using helicoils, I found that liberal amounts of Nev-R-Seize helped prevent galvanic corrosion.

HTH,

jtb

5,000 Post Club My location namba209 (R.I.P.) is on a distinguished road namba209 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've put this info out here before, but it seems appropriate to do it again. For all exhaust bolts, got to your local airport and get the same anit-sieze compound they use to put the spark plugs in the aluminum heads. It may have a military specification "MIL-T-555" This compound has a two-fold application, first and foremost it allows the plugs to be removed without stripping the threads. Secondly, it is graphite based and helps in making a ground from the plug to the engine head. And because it is designed to be used on aircraft spark plugs, it will withstand the heat. Every bolt or nut installed in Willit? has the first 1/4" of threads applied with this compound.
    Ron
    72 GT 3.4L V-6/T-5/ZF posi - almost done - Just need AC installed.
    75 Chevy monza 5.7L/TH350/Auburn 3.08 posi - Next

Opeler Lindsay
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.opelgt.com/rp/showproduct...oduct/26/cat/3

I am aware of these studs with copper nuts for use with OPEL exhaust header. Still need to find time to remove two broken studs in my Sprint exhaust manifold. Read about soaking in COKE for several days/ week. Then, use high heat and apply candle wax. Once I remove broken studs, will evaluate either M8 or 3/8-16 size replacement. Need to purchase specific anti-seize compound that Ron recommended. THANKS ALL!

Have Opel, Will Travel oldopelguy is on a distinguished road oldopelguy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vw

The VW shops all sell a set of 8 copper or brass nuts for the exhaust studs in the standard 8mm thread pitch but with 11mm heads instead of the usual 13mm heads for the tight clearances around big VW air-cooled headers. Dirt cheap, a set is under $5, and getting a 11mm socket in there is a whole lot easier than a 13mm one.
    1958 Rekord Sedan, 1958 Olympia Wagon, 1959 Opel Olympia Sedan, 1967 Kadett Coupe, 1967 Admiral Sedan 4L CIH-6, 1968 Kadett fastback 1.1L, 1970 Kadett Wagon Turbo 2.2L, 1971 Kadett Sedan 1.1L, 1975 Manta Wagon 4.3L V-6

5,000 Post Club My location namba209 (R.I.P.) is on a distinguished road namba209 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    http://www.opelgt.com/rp/showproduct...oduct/26/cat/3
    Need to purchase specific anti-seize compound that Ron recommended. THANKS ALL!
    Lindsay, take a run out to Montgomery Field and check out some of the maintenance supply shops. Or if that's too far south, try Palomar Airport up north.
    Ron
    72 GT 3.4L V-6/T-5/ZF posi - almost done - Just need AC installed.
    75 Chevy monza 5.7L/TH350/Auburn 3.08 posi - Next

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information