Manual Transmission Stuck In Neutral
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manual Transmission Stuck In Neutral

101st Airborne - Viet Nam Site Supporter My location MICAH1 is on a distinguished road MICAH1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Manual Transmission Stuck In Neutral

My standard transmission will not move to any of the forward gears or reverse. Clutch cable is secure, lock nut is in place. Pulled the shift boot and did a visual of the shift to transmission and could see nothing out of place. The stick just moves freely with the clutch press in or not. All springs are connected. Also the clutch was replaced last April. I drove the car with no problems yesterday!!
    Thomas

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member My location West Coast GT is on a distinguished road West Coast GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Crawl under and check that the four bolts connecting your transmission to the bell housing are tight. If they loosen up you'll lose ability to engage your gears, starting with 3rd.

101st Airborne - Viet Nam Site Supporter My location MICAH1 is on a distinguished road MICAH1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads

Four Bolts

Checked the connecting bolt last month when I replaced the pan gasket to the transmission.
    Thomas

Opeler young_wrench is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the car on or off when having this problem?

Opeler My location dcm013 dcm013's Avatar
    Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MICAH1 View Post
    My standard transmission will not move to any of the forward gears or reverse. Clutch cable is secure, lock nut is in place. Pulled the shift boot and did a visual of the shift to transmission and could see nothing out of place. The stick just moves freely with the clutch press in or not. All springs are connected. Also the clutch was replaced last April. I drove the car with no problems yesterday!!
    Does the shift into gear "feel" right, that is the same as it did when it was working OK?

When you look with the boot off and move the shift lever does it move the linkage of the trans.? You should be able to feel the detents and hear it "snicking" into gear. If in doubt jack it up and make sure the levers on the trans. are moving when it's shifted into the various gears.

If not, something has come undone or broken in the shift linkage.

How does the clutch pedal feel? Any change in feel since it worked OK yesterday?

Any noises noted from the clutch area since it last worked OK?

Did you notice any slipping of the clutch? Odor?

If the trans. actually is engaging the various gears, you can engage gears with the engine running and the clutch engaged (pedal up), and the car won't move when you select a gear your clutch has failed or you have broken the transmission input shaft (not likely).

Don

Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads

ON or OFF

Young Wrench, Not sure what the car being on or off has to do with the gears shifting..... but to answer your question, I have tried to engage the gears with the car motor on and off..
    Thomas

Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dcm013 View Post
    Does the shift into gear "feel" right, that is the same as it did when it was working OK?

When you look with the boot off and move the shift lever does it move the linkage of the trans.? You should be able to feel the detents and hear it "snicking" into gear. If in doubt jack it up and make sure the levers on the trans. are moving when it's shifted into the various gears.

How does the clutch pedal feel? Any change in feel since it worked OK yesterday?

Any noises noted from the clutch area since it last worked OK?

Did you notice any slipping of the clutch? Odor?

If the trans. actually is engaging the various gears, you can engage gears with the engine running and the clutch engaged (pedal up), and the car won't move when you select a gear your clutch has failed or you have broken the transmission input shaft (not likely).

Don
    Nothing seems to be undone, by sight or by feel. When I push in the clutch the movement and feel is the same as it was when I pulled into the garage on Saturday. The linkage does not seem or look loose, but the shift will not S_T_A_Y or catch in any gear position!!
    Thomas

Member My location guyopel is on a distinguished road guyopel's Avatar
    Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a broken roll pin on a shift rail ..you would need to remove the trans. pan and have someone shift the trans. and see which shift arm is not moving to find what is wrong . HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing seems to be undone, by sight or by feel. When I push in the clutch the movement and feel is the same as it was when I pulled into the garage on Saturday. The linkage does not seem or look loose, but the shift will not S_T_A_Y or catch in any gear position!!
    So, are you saying that even if you sit with the engine off, shift the lever into first gear, for example, and let go it pops back to neutral by itself?

Even with the boot removed?

Detents inside the trans. will hold it into gear unless they for some reason are not present - I've seen threads about losing the detent when removing the trans. pan but can't remember the details right now - the shift boot will tend to pull the lever back to neutral if the detents aren't working.

Or does this only happen when the engine's running and you start to engage the clutch and launch the car? This would be worse.

Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, are you saying that even if you sit with the engine off, shift the lever into first gear, for example, and let go it pops back to neutral by itself?

I push in the clutch, shift the stick to the position of first gear, but it will not catch...... just slides back to the neutral position. :banghead:
    Thomas

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I push in the clutch, shift the stick to the position of first gear, but it will not catch...... just slides back to the neutral position. :banghead:
    Quite possibly an issue with the detents. See my previous comment about the boot. Does it still pop out of gear when the boot is off (or at least detached from the floorpan/console)? When the weather is cold the boot will have a greater tendency to pull the shift lever back to neutral.

If you hold the shift lever in the first gear (or reverse, etc.) position while you start to engage the clutch does the car start to move? This should help determine whether the trans. is basically OK and you just have a detent problem. Once torque is applied the "torque lock" in the synchronizer sleeve should prevent the trans. from popping back to neutral. At least until you depress the clutch pedal again.

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sprung!

When you changed the pan gasket last month did you put the detent ball and spring back in - the one that falls out when you remove the pan ..... ?
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

DCM, The shift will not engage any gear!!!! It is like every movement is one big neutral!!!!

GTJIM, that is a big ten four on the detent ball and spring...
    Thomas

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gently!

..Then there is probably something wrong with either the shift linkage - maybe the long pivot bar has come loose where it bolts on to the side of the tranny or something else is loose or bent.

Ya gonna have to get under there while someone else 'wiggles' the stick.

Here is the layout of the linkages.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by GTJIM; 03-05-2008 at 12:00 AM.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads

Trans Linkage

Jim, I did get under the car to inspect the linkage, but did not have anyone else in the car to move the clutch and linkage while there. Your suggestion is the best, so I will set things up to pursue that direction this weekend. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by MICAH1; 03-05-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    Thomas

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder is on a distinguished road jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Going back to a simple approach, did you replace the pilot bearing and release bearing when you replaced the clutch?
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jlthunder View Post
    Going back to a simple approach, did you replace the pilot bearing and release bearing when you replaced the clutch?
    I had a shop install the 1.9 clutch kit I purchased from OGTS last April, then drove the car to Carlisle and up until Saturday just past..
    Thomas

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder is on a distinguished road jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you ordered part # 8072 8.0 INCH CLUTCH KIT
    New German 8.0 inch clutch kit included pressure plate, clutch disc, release bearing and pilot bearing, then this should not be your problem. Check your receipts because if you only got the clutch, then one of the other items may of failed.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don
    I think your clutch is fine.

I agree it sounds most like a linkage issue since you're sure your detents are OK. Am I correct in assuming you can't feel the detent loads as you shift into gear, then it pops out?

If you look at the picture GTJim sent you'll see on the passenger side there's a flat "rod" on the passenger side that attaches the shifter mechanism at the rear of the trans to the shift lever on the side of the trans. This is what selects each gear. Take a look at the trans section of your FSM for a more complete picture of the linkage assy. installed on the trans. The rod is only held on by cotter pins. If you can't select ANY gears, maybe one has rusted or broken and the rod is detached.

If the pin at the front broke I would expect you'd see the rod hanging down, but if the rear broke it MAY be resting on the backup light switch wires. You should be able to get under the car and see if the rod's attached at both ends.

The rod on the driver side has a pivot in the middle and it is what moves the selector shaft inside the transmission into the gate selected, 1-2, 3-4, or reverse.

Don

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thomas;
    On the passenger side of the trans, at the front of the bar that runs down the side of the trans, there is a short link that it connects to. This short link then connects to a shaft that goes into the trans. See if tthis link is moving the shaft when you move the shifter. I have attached an augmented diagram.
    Attached Images
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information