Stuck in gear, reverse lever shaft broken?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck in gear, reverse lever shaft broken?

Opeler Limerick is on a distinguished road Limerick's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Leutheuser
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stuck in gear, reverse lever shaft broken?

Hello! I am currently trying to tackle a problem that remains a little out of my depth. A little while ago after a drive on a hot day, I attempted to park my GT but suddenly found that reverse was nowhere to be found. I would try to put it in gear but the shifter felt spongy and there was nothing where reverse used to be. I had heard nor felt anything during the drive that would have alerted me to any problem occurring, and I was able to return it to my house (not to far away) with all 4 gears functioning well.

Once I parked the GT at home, however, I found that the car was now stuck in gear. The shifter was in the 1st position, and far forward. It is still stuck there, and I can't get the shifter to slide back into the neutral position and out of gear. I consulted OGTS and Gil mentioned that due to the hot temperatures the day of the drive, the gear oil may have started to leak. I have opened up the transmission and have attached some pictures showing what is jammed. Sure seemed like it was missing some oil as well, which would make sense as my speedometer angle drive has a bit of a leak I hadn't noticed until after this problem cropped up.

Seems to me that the reverse lever shaft snapped, there is what looks like the head of it stuck on the magnet on the tranny plate, and its arm is what is preventing the shifter from returning to neutral. I am a little lost on where to go from here or if I am even looking at the right thing! I tried to circle the problem area to give a better idea of what I think the problem is. Also the arrow points in the direction the reverse lever wants to move in to get to neutral but is blocked. Does anyone know what's up here? Thank you very much in advance!

EDIT: So after further investigation the spot I've circled is not in fact where the shifter gets stuck but is somewhere else. I'm not quite sure how the linkages work but the shifter cannot move more than a quarter inch left or right when sitting in the driver's seat, and no more than a half inch or so forward and backward. Hence my assumption that it was stuck in gear!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Limerick; 06-11-2013 at 11:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Heeeeeeres Jimmy! Frozen Tundra GT will become famous soon enough Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jimmy J
    Downloads
    Uploads
    looks like you need another 4 speed. there is plenty of huys on here who might be able to spare one. I would put an ad on ad board and might as well consider a new clutch possibly too. or at least throwout bearing etc

Opeler Limerick is on a distinguished road Limerick's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Leutheuser
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reply! I have actually got it worked out, turns out one of the selector shafts had over rotated and was somehow out of its slot. Worked it back in by adjusting the shaft's extension and 1st-4th came right on back! There is a small nub that is responsible for selecting reverse in the gearbox, and I can't seem to find a separate part listing in the FSM, but it was the part that had "sheared off" and was stuck to the magnet. Stuck it back in its usual place and it actually doesn't want to budge now, but I imagine it isn't secure as it fell out once before! Does anyone know how this "nub" is usually attached? I think this is the part in the FSM.
    Attached Images

Heeeeeeres Jimmy! Frozen Tundra GT will become famous soon enough Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jimmy J
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry, I must have been mistaken. I thought the chunks of metal broke off other internal parts of your tranny.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information