thinking of biting the bullet
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: thinking of biting the bullet

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads

thinking of biting the bullet

So I'm sitting here in Kuwait thinking of what project to tackle after this deployment...

I'm really thinking of the 4speed to 5speed swap. What's the current best option for this? I seem to recall that OGTS had a kit available. I'm assuming that is still an option, but in being a good consumer I thought I should check if it was the only option. Assuming the use of a kit, is it all inclusive? Is there anything else that might be needed?

thanks for any info!

-JaredT

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredT View Post
    So I'm sitting here in Kuwait thinking of what project to tackle after this deployment...

I'm really thinking of the 4speed to 5speed swap. What's the current best option for this? I seem to recall that OGTS had a kit available. I'm assuming that is still an option, but in being a good consumer I thought I should check if it was the only option. Assuming the use of a kit, is it all inclusive? Is there anything else that might be needed?

thanks for any info!

-JaredT
    OGTS sells the getrag 5 speed (when they have them) with a kit that, AFAIK is all inclusive. Or you can buy just the transmission and fab the rest yourself.

The other, less spoken of, alternative would be a Vega 5 speed. At this point it's just a Snipe hunt for one, though. People say they exist but nobody has actually seen one.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Downloads
    Uploads
    I purchased and installed the OGTS Getrag probably 6 or 7 years ago and it came complete right down to the synthetic gear grease. I think I had to send in my own drive shaft from a GT automatic for them to shorten but otherwise it all came as a package.
    If you go that route you could start looking for a drive shaft now and have it lined up for when you start the project.
    The other thing I had to do which I think was required was get a flywheel off of a 2.0 which in turn uses a 1/2" larger clutch. OGTS or OU should be able to help you with that as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You bring up a good point. I've got the S10 aluminum flywheel setup, will that work on the Getrag?

I'll probably need a custom driveshaft anyway, so don't think the driveshaft thing will be an issue.
    Last edited by JaredT; 12-30-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Army Rotorhead My location AV8R's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The five speed will work with the stock flywheel but many folks upgrade the flywheel and clutch while the transmission is already out. As far as the modified drive shaft, it comes with the "kit" if you get it all from OGTS. They are a little pricy but I would recommend getting the rebuilt 5-speed with the full kit. Worth the money in the long run.

p.s. How long are you there? I'll be heading there again soon. PM if you'd like to chat.
    Green '73 GT, Jewel --SOLD-- Back in Germany now
    White '73 GT, "Car and Driver" car
    Blue '73 GT, Project -
    Yellow '72? GT, Uhh...project?? maybe....

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When it comes to these old Getrag 240 transmissions I would def spend the extra money and buy one from a reputable vendor.

These are definitely a hit and miss affair and I've had 2 of them going bad on me.

The first one I paid quite a bit of money for back in the day and swapped it into my Ascona B, which is an "easy" swap if you get all the needed bits from a Manta B. However it lasted less than a year with a near stock engine, it became more and more difficult to shift and when I drained the oil, correct type of oil that I had put in at the time of conversion, it came out looking like silver paint .... back in with the 4 speed

The second one to go bad was the one in my Manta B and that was the original transmission for that car, stock engine at the time, and one day without warning it got stuck in reverse. Never found out what the problem was as these aren't easy transmissions to work with so I just sold it to someone else for parts and got another one. That one lasted me a long time even with the 2.7 engine and some track days thrown in.

So basically these are excellent transmissions when they're in good working order and one of the best upgrades you can do for an older Opel as you're not only adding that nice long legged 5th gear but it's a really slick modern feeling transmission. They are however difficult and expensive to overhaul and if memory serves me right used a different oil than regular 4 speed transmissions of the era so quite a few of them ran with the wrong oil in them just because people didn't know any better. Pay a little extra for a known good one because not only may it save you money in the long run but with the bell housing cast as part of the transmission they're not the easiest transmission to swap in and out so you don't want to do the job twice if it can be avoided.
    "I hate RallyBob"

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    they are usually back ordered from OGTs but saw a couple weeks ago or months? that they were in stock. I would jump on it now if it is available. might be many many months before available again if not years.

get the whole kit and choose rebuilt. spend the $ now.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    OGTS sells the <SNIP>

The other, less spoken of, alternative would be a Vega 5 speed. At this point it's just a Snipe hunt for one, though. People say they exist but nobody has actually seen one.
    Just an off the top of the head thought, could the 5 speed have been on the Cosworth Vega? It seems to be a natural place for it and they made less than 1500 or so which would make them pretty rare! Wikipedia says there was a "5 speed manual w/overdrive" in their data box, but not a word in the writeup. I'll research a bit more.

Doug

PS - Just found what I was looking for and it says the Borq Warner 5 speed was an OPTION on the Cosworth. The production number (total) it quotes as 3508 so there aren't too many out there with the optional transmission (especially as the car cost was nearly $6000 (without options) and a new Corvette was less than $7000)!
    Last edited by slracer; 12-30-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added PS

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So I've got at least one vote for OGTS and their conversion kit. I've dropped them an email asking if they have any in stock. I see they sell both used and rebuilt. Any info on their rebuilt versions? It looks like an $800 rebuild on a $900 transmission. I could probably have someone locally do a rebuild if I needed, not sure anyone would have a load of experience on this transmission which would tend to drive the cost up.

I'll just need the correct yoke for the transmission, a custom driveshaft is already planned for.

-jt

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ...I'll just need the correct yoke for the transmission, a custom driveshaft is already planned for.

-jt
    This has been mentioned before but bears repeating... You need a yoke from an Opel automatic. GM splined yokes will fit but they do not have a chamfer on the spline and will bind on the chamfered Getrag tailshaft.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So I've got at least one vote for OGTS and their conversion kit. I've dropped them an email asking if they have any in stock. I see they sell both used and rebuilt. Any info on their rebuilt versions? It looks like an $800 rebuild on a $900 transmission. I could probably have someone locally do a rebuild if I needed, not sure anyone would have a load of experience on this transmission which would tend to drive the cost up.

I'll just need the correct yoke for the transmission, a custom driveshaft is already planned for.

-jt

its worth the peace of mind and the $200 or so more just to have OGTS trans guy rebuild it. They have rebuilt many getrags, and no doubting their work.

most cities has some type of driveline shop or referrals from machine shop. IN my case it was a semi truck repair shop that does drivelines. Under $100 for all the work.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It should be noted that the Opel getrag 240 and the BMW getrag 240 are the same internally. Any shop that could rebuild an BMW 240 can rebuild an Opel 240.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    It should be noted that the Opel getrag 240 and the BMW getrag 240 are the same internally. Any shop that could rebuild an BMW 240 can rebuild an Opel 240.
    How much is the complete kit??? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOpel View Post
    How much is the complete kit??? Thx

Used Getrag 5 speed - Transmission 5 sp CIH - Opel GT - Store | Opel GT Source
    Lifes too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers. Just don't do them at the same time.

No boring cars:
    1973 Opel GT
    The non-Opel Collection:
    1966 Lotus Elan S2/SE
    1968 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3
    1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
    1973 Triumph TR6
    1973 Porsche 914
    1979 Triumph Spitfire with GT6+ conversion = "Spit6"
    2005 Lotus Elise

2000 Post Club My location poor gt (R.I.P)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    its worth the peace of mind and the $200 or so more just to have OGTS trans guy rebuild it.
    Sorry JJ, OGTS gets an extra 700.00 bucks to rebuild the trany these days, been that way for a while. As FO1981 said, any BMWhat 240 are the same guts. But for 700.00 to have them do it, is cheap compared to a shop I'm sure of that, Probably more like 1,500 to 2,000 for labor & parts

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    Sorry JJ, OGTS gets an extra 700.00 bucks to rebuild the trany these days, been that way for a while. As FO1981 said, any BMWhat 240 are the same guts. But for 700.00 to have them do it, is cheap compared to a shop I'm sure of that, Probably more like 1,500 to 2,000 for labor & parts
    I meant compared to a local shop, that rebuilds BMW tranny occasionally. say they would rebuild for $500 ish

it would be worth it all day long to pay the extra 2-400 for alfa Italian to do it..

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    Unless my math is completely off, it's looking like $800 difference between the "used" transmission vs the "rebuilt" transmission. From the sounds of it tho, that might not be a bad investment.

Just got the flier in my inbox that they got a shipment of transmissions in. I guess my timing is impeccable!

Thread Information