Auto Tranny Coolant Lines and Fittings - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Auto Tranny Coolant Lines and Fittings

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

AN-6 Male to Male 1/8 NPT Straight Flare Pipe Thread Fitting Adapter

Adapter fitting without quick disconnects:
    6AN 6 AN-6 Male to Male 1/8 NPT Straight Flare Pipe Thread Fitting Adapter Black | eBay
    $4.32 Black - Free Shipping

1/8 NPT to 6AN | eBay
    Other options on eBay. I would prefer steel or brass fittings instead of aluminum.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 1 Week Ago at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added 2nd Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the list of parts

Contents of Carton No.: 1

Six 555-100001 #6 STR HOSE END 4.99 / 29.94
    Two 555-100104 1/4" NPT TO #6 FLARE 2.99 / 5.98
    One 555-113600 TRANS FTG -6AN X 1/8 NPSM 15.99 / 15.99
    Two 555-100011 #6 45* HOSE END 13.99 / 27.98
    One 555-60359 QUICK-CON TRANS CPLRS (2) 69.99 / 69.99
    One 555-100913 #6 HOSE PRE-CUT 15-FEET 57.99 / 57.99
    One 259-12732 DYNOCOOL REM W/FAN -6AN 113.99 / 113.99

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FYI about auto tranny cooling temps:

I looked at quite a number of tranny coolers with fans and thermostats and all of the ones I stumbled across said they were preset to activate at 175-180 degrees, which is the same temp I have my water radiator fan set to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Credit to Jegs for 45-minutes of tech phone support.
    Hope that there is GT real estate (room) for all that stuff.
    If not, you are not shy with cutting saws or wheels.

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    FYI about auto tranny cooling temps:

I looked at quite a number of tranny coolers with fans and thermostats and all of the ones I stumbled across said they were preset to activate at 175-180 degrees, which is the same temp I have my water radiator fan set to.

For long life keep the ATF temps @ 120F.
    For what is worth
    GPS will dyno there tranny's at 150.
    Yes, there is a gizzno trans dyno thing.

Last edited by wrench459; 1 Week Ago at 02:40 AM. Reason: :-)
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    120* ! ! ! ! ! !

I've drank beer warmer than that!

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was curious as to how I would turn on the fan on this set up, did some research, and discovered the set up doesn't come with a thermostat to actuate it. Most don't. Most don't come with a fan either. I'm sure that this 8-row cooler is massive overkill for my little engine/tranny and fairly humble driving habits. I seemed to get along just fine with my previous 2-row cooler with no fan. But, it comes with a gee-whiz fan, so I might as well hook it up. I looked at fan controllers and stuff, basically seeking something similar, but lots cheaper, than my pre-existing pretty darn good radiator fan controller. Yeah, found a bunch of them with varying gee-whiz merits. I noticed in the phrasing of many of the descriptions, the addition of the letter "s" to the word "fan", apparently meaning that these controllers could power more than one fan in parallel. Oh yeah, many cars have two radiator fans, it would be kooky to have a separate temp probe and controller for each one. So I looked at the amp rating on the tranny cooler fan and the radiator fan I have and both are rated at 6.5 amps. Then I got out the instructions for my controller and it read that it can healthily operate fan(s) up to a total of 24 amps, with a max of 30 amps. So if I run both fans(13 amps) with the same controller, I've got an almost 2:1 safety margin. So, I'll wire the cooler fan into my existing controller and have it come on when the radiator fan turns on at 180*.

My previous tranny cooler was the same height(about 3.5") as the GT's horn mount crossbar that I had it mounted to. It had no direct flow of air through it, just radiant cooling. The new 8-row cooler is 10.5" high, so about 6" will stick out above/below the crossbar and be exposed to the flow of air coming through the grill. It should easily cool 3 times better than my previous cooler.

Ah, here's a question for Dan or whoever: At what rpm or situation does an automatic transmission generate the most heat? Do they generate the most while idling in backed up traffic? At high speed on the highway? When doing lots of shifting in and around town during low speed driving?

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 1 Week Ago at 10:11 AM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was curious as to how I would turn on the fan on this set up, did some research, and discovered the set up doesn't come with a thermostat to actuate it. Most don't. Most don't come with a fan either. I'm sure that this 8-row cooler is massive overkill for my little engine/tranny and fairly humble driving habits. I seemed to get along just fine with my previous 2-row cooler with no fan. But, it comes with a gee-whiz fan, so I might as well hook it up. I looked at fan controllers and stuff, basically seeking something similar, but lots cheaper, than my pre-existing pretty darn good radiator fan controller. Yeah, found a bunch of them with varying gee-whiz merits. I noticed in the phrasing of many of the descriptions, the addition of the letter "s" to the word "fan", apparently meaning that these controllers could power more than one fan in parallel. Oh yeah, many cars have two radiator fans, it would be kooky to have a separate temp probe and controller for each one. So I looked at the amp rating on the tranny cooler fan and the radiator fan I have and both are rated at 6.5 amps. Then I got out the instructions for my controller and it read that it can healthily operate fan(s) up to a total of 24 amps, with a max of 30 amps. So if I run both fans(13 amps) with the same controller, I've got an almost 2:1 safety margin. So, I'll wire the cooler fan into my existing controller and have it come on when the radiator fan turns on at 180*.

My previous tranny cooler was the same height(about 3.5") as the GT's horn mount crossbar that I had it mounted to. It had no direct flow of air through it, just radiant cooling. The new 8-row cooler is 10.5" high, so about 6" will stick out above/below the crossbar and be exposed to the flow of air coming through the grill. It should easily cool 3 times better than my previous cooler.

Ah, here's a question for Dan or whoever: At what rpm or situation does an automatic transmission generate the most heat? Do they generate the most while idling in backed up traffic? At high speed on the highway? When doing lots of shifting in and around town during low speed driving?

Most heat under load.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My tranny cooler parts arrived and I started fooling around with different configurations and combinations. The quick disconnect couplers WEIGH A TON! Like 2-3lbs EACH! That sucks. I wanted to mount them inline midway in the tranny line path, somewhere's near cylinders 3+4, but they're so darn heavy I'd have to make big beefy brackets to support them. Also, Jeg's sent me the wrong size disconnect adapters to pull off that trick, so I had to kill time exploring other mounting locations for the disconnects. The instructions only suggest one place: Screw them directly into the tranny. I didn't want them in the tranny. It's really tight and hard to get at auto tranny stuff in a GT. But I pursued that route during these pictures:

IMG_5193.jpg IMG_5194.jpg IMG_5202.jpg IMG_5203.jpg IMG_5204.jpg

In order to pull off the configuration above, I needed to order different fittings. At least one 90* AN fitting. Next, I needed to test fit the fan and see how running the lines to it would work out and possibly need to order different fittings for that. Shiit, it's tight. Too tight. Grabbed the angle grinder and siyonara charcoal canister ledge. There's enough room now, but I'm gonna need more 90* AN fittings to make it work. So, there I am on Jeg's website getting ready to order, when another idea occurs to me: Mount the disconnects directly-ish to the tranny cooler outlets. The disconnects would interfere less and I can support them better there and the line connections to the tranny could now be super simple and all sorts of angles and clearance and weight of the couplings issues go away. I'll need two 90* AN fittings and 2 of the correct adapters for the disconnects to do this configuration.

So, it'll be a few more days for more fittings to arrive before I can make more progress.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 6 Days Ago at 06:55 AM.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Our 41 foot patrol boats had V8 Cummins VT 903 M engines, diesel. Once a day, oil samples had to be drawn from them and the oil viscosity checked for fuel oil dilution of the oil.

The oil samples were taken at the remote lube oil filter housing. Picture a 1/4 inch npt nipple with a butterfly valve (to open, turn valve handle a quarter turn) capped with a 1/4 inch npt pipe plug.

Over time, engine vibrations cracked the brass fittings; releasing 5 gallons of hot lube oil into the entire bilge of the aluminum boat. This always happened when you were underway, both main engines at full throttle. The alarm bell and red lube oil pressure light came on and the boat driver coxswain brought the boat down to idle and stopped the engine. Then the real fun of cleaning that disaster began.

Eventually, we went to a nifty oil sample valve that involves using a needle like that found in inflating a football or basketball. And never had a problem since.

Your configuration there reminds me exactly of the heavy weight suspended off those lube oil filter housings, held in place by a weak brass fitting that always.......and I mean......always,......one more time: always, cracked by the vibrations of the engine. There were times we disassembled the fittings to do a visual inspection and found the fittings already cracked. And consider this: that was good ole made in the USA brass. Not this cheap Asian stuff made imported today.........

My former professional experience is now your forewarning.
    John B likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should just use, 6-AN to what ever pipe thread fitting at your transmission, and a similar connection on the cooler, and forgo the use of the bulky disconnects. For how many times you will actually use them, there not worth the hassle. A few turns on a AN fitting are quick enough for this application.
    kwilford and First opel 1981 like this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This picture shows the rough layout of the cooler and disconnect connections. The 45* 6AN hose ends will be replaced with 90* female-to-female 6AN elbows attached to the cooler. They will attach to 3/8"NPT-to-6AN adapters at the disconnects. The coolant lines will then attach to the adapters at the other end of the disconnects:

IMG_5205.jpg

This picture shows how tight the fan area is and why I needed 90* fittings at the cooler. The bottom disconnect will pretty much lay on the belly pan(with padding underneath), the upper disconnect will point down at about a 60* angle, relieving some of it's weight stress. The 6AN fittings at the cooler are much beefier than the tiny brass 1/8"NPT fittings I would have had to use at the tranny:

IMG_5207.jpg

Since half of the air flow under the horn mount crossbar is already blocked by the battery on the passenger side, I've decided to mount the cooler as low down as possible on the driver's side. 2/3's of the engine's radiator is above that crossbar and I wanted the area above the crossbar to be as unobstructed as possible, that's why I've mounted it as low as possible. This picture shows the relatively unobstructed area above the crossbar:

IMG_5206.jpg

These pics roughly show how the hose connections will now look at the tranny. I want both the coolant lines to run down the left driver's side of the engine and I wanted them both to flow through that little pocket behind the bulge of the bell housing. To reduce sharp bends in the hose, I needed to order a 90* AN fitting for the tranny's front coolant outlet:

IMG_5208.jpg IMG_5209.jpg

I'm going to stick with the disconnects for now. They have shut off valves in them that close when the disconnects are separated to stop the tranny fluid from pouring out. Gordo likes that. Gordo hates tranny fluid. Gordo skeeves at the feel and look of yucky red tranny fluid on his fingers and car. Gordo hopes he will skeeve less with this set up. If it all leaks or breaks or otherwise pisses me off, I'll ditch the disconnects.

John B likes this.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You should just use, 6-AN to what ever pipe thread fitting at your transmission, and a similar connection on the cooler, and forgo the use of the bulky disconnects. For how many times you will actually use them, there not worth the hassle. A few turns on a AN fitting are quick enough for this application.
    I agree with the quick disconnect elimination. They are for use when there will be a regular reason to disconnect the oil lines. In racing, you might need to swap transmissions really fast. Use disconnects AT the transmission. Putting them near the cooler is adding stuff just for the sake of adding stuff, assuming you don't need to regularly remove the cooler to, say, replace or charge the battery, etc.

I'd swap them out for a flexible coupling any day.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If for instance, you don't have room to tighten the fittings on either end, and have to tighten every thing before the the cooler and transmission are in place, you could cut the lines in a convenient location and use, 6-AN coupler's to join the lines together on final assembly.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The AN fittings I needed arrived and I made a little progress by cutting the hoses with a fresh bought pair of giant Harbour Fright hose cutters. They lasted one cut. I found I could do a better job with sheet metal cutters. The AN fittings are pretty good to work with. I attached the right angle fittings I needed at the cooler and then test fit the lines I made up at the tranny. I use pipe thread compound on the various fittings. Next I'll do the final attachments at the cooler.

Braided tranny lines with AN fittings (3).jpg Braided tranny lines with AN fittings (1).jpg Braided tranny lines with AN fittings (2).jpg

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The AN fittings I needed arrived and I made a little progress by cutting the hoses with a fresh bought pair of giant Harbour Fright hose cutters.
    I've found it cleaner to install a hose clamp over the braided hoses then slice with a narrow zizz wheel.
    Lindsay and The Scifi Guy like this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ref Post #36:
    Transmission looks like it has been dragged across the garage concrete floor and up/ down your basement stairs.
    What are the plans to upgrade appearance before installation?

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Ref Post #36:
    Transmission looks like it has been dragged across the garage concrete floor and up/ down your basement stairs.
    What are the plans to upgrade appearance before installation?
    WHAT! I'll have you know that my tranny is an Opel Nationals winner! Dang ye! Okay, so the silver engine paint is a little scuffed and having to pull my engine every year for the past 5 years has taken it's toll on my $5 paint job. Just for you I'll hit it with a can of engine cleaner and hose it off!

All done!:

Tranny cooler disconnects and lines installed (1).jpg Tranny cooler disconnects and lines installed (2).jpg

I needed about 6' of tubing for each line, but they sent me 15'. Without the engine/tranny installed and indecision as to whether to keep the disconnects, the exact lengths needed of each line is unknown, so I decided to simply cut the 15' into two 7.5' lengths and make two loops to suck up the extra 1.5 feet of each. I might tie them off vertically or somehow otherwise pad or suspend them so that they don't rattle against the belly pan. Since the whole point of this exercise was to put an end to leaks, if I find just one drop of tranny fluid on my shiny belly pan patch plate, I'll remove the disconnects, spill tranny fluid all over the place, and just connect the lines directly to the cooler.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if I find just one drop of tranny fluid on my shiny belly pan patch plate,
    Fifty bucks on the Opel/GM trans to leak again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information