Weber Hard Start Warm Problem
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Weber Hard Start Warm Problem

Opeler OriginalOpelGTOwner is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This summer for the first time since I have owned this car from 1971, the fuel is foaming (boiling) in the carbuetor bowl even though EVERYTHING electrical and mechanical checks out ok. The idle stability comes and goes when the ambient air temperature is above 80 F. This only started when I topped off the tank that had 7 gallons of winter gas left with premium summer gas. Since then I tried regular summer gas (same brand as the premium Mobile) with the same idle issue. Turns out summer gas has a lower vapor pressure (less than 14.7 psi) than winter gas (greater than 14.7 psi) to help minimize air polution, etc. I am actually starting to wonder if this year's summer gas has a new formulation and optimized for fuel injection. I will know when I get a chance to run this car on BP summer gas and BP winter gas late this fall. Also, I am wondering if different brands have different formulations for summer gas which may effect Opel idle. The last 2 tanks were Mobile. Before that (last year) I was using BP, Shell and Marathon without any idle problems. Thinking maybe we should start a thread listing gasoline brands where we are having problems and not having problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler My location JSTOLLE is on a distinguished road JSTOLLE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's a Gas!

You might have something there. In Minnesota the Minnesota Hot Rod Association posts stations that sell non-oxygenated fuel. Next time I fill up that's where I'm going to get something without ethanol in it. Hopefully that will help.
    Proud Original Owner of a 70 GT
    Not pumpkin ORANGE no more though !!

Just an old fart My location wrench459 will become famous soon enough wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5551212 View Post
    the 2.2 had an adapter plate that went from the manifold to the carb. That would not fit the Opel.
    That does not mean that it cant be used to our advantage.
    Look at rallybob's intake mods raise the ports and with the ..................

Opeler My location dcm013 dcm013's Avatar
    Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalOpelGTOwner View Post
    This summer for the first time since I have owned this car from 1971, the fuel is foaming (boiling) in the carbuetor bowl even though EVERYTHING electrical and mechanical checks out ok. The idle stability comes and goes when the ambient air temperature is above 80 F. This only started when I topped off the tank that had 7 gallons of winter gas left with premium summer gas. Since then I tried regular summer gas (same brand as the premium Mobile) with the same idle issue. Turns out summer gas has a lower vapor pressure (less than 14.7 psi) than winter gas (greater than 14.7 psi) to help minimize air polution, etc. I am actually starting to wonder if this year's summer gas has a new formulation and optimized for fuel injection. I will know when I get a chance to run this car on BP summer gas and BP winter gas late this fall. Also, I am wondering if different brands have different formulations for summer gas which may effect Opel idle. The last 2 tanks were Mobile. Before that (last year) I was using BP, Shell and Marathon without any idle problems. Thinking maybe we should start a thread listing gasoline brands where we are having problems and not having problems.
    Welcome to the club

My Opels have suffered this problem during extended idle conditions for the past few years, despite which brand of gas I use. Keep us posted if you find a brand that works better!

Don

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter My location opellane is on a distinguished road opellane's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Summer re-start problems

I've owned my GT for along time now ( since 1995) and I got sick of sitting in the Gas Station right after a nice drive. While everyones watching your neat car, and then just let the starter sing. :banghead: Aren't we making Fun.

So I got the Electric Fuel pump, and mounted it near the tank, and ran new 3/8 clear hard plastic tubing up to the Carb. with a Clear Fuel Filter (the fancy Glass kind).

So, Now when I turn off the car, I'll give a minute or two. The fuel Psi is still at 3.0 lbs or so. The new Fuel Pumps all got check valves in them, Now the Vapor/ Alcohol what ever, probably won't boil now. It's preasurized some what. Your Mech Fuel drops to Zero 0. Turns over on very first click. Rummm or if your worried key over 2 sec then GO.
    I telling you it's amazing. And I had this Problem for years and it drove me crazy for year after year., You might want to try it, It's just some tubing, a Fuel Pump and some wires. IT WORKED FOR ME.
    If you Install a delayed or T-stat electric Rad. fan will probably do the trick too. But I think this would make more sense. But this is only from my experences. By all means you ALL do what works for you.
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT,Citris Yellow 2.0L, Weber 38DGES
    1969 Opel GT Lt Blue Metallic 2.0L,Weber 38DGES
    1973 MGB, Red, Weber 38DG

Opeler My location JSTOLLE is on a distinguished road JSTOLLE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can relate!!

Mike-I can relate to your gas station horror story...happened to me yesterday as I was filling up on non-oxygenated fuel for $4.00 per gallon to see if that will help. Without fail someone always comes up to me and comments on the car. Then I get in and it cranks for a while while I pray for a start! Several posts in here reenforce the electric fuel pump idea. I just got done putting the old snorkel back on using the weber adapter from OGTS in hopes that that would bring cooler air into the situation. We'll watch that and the fuel for a couple of weeks to see if things get better. If not, I may be going the electric fuel pump route. Do you have or know of any pictures or wiring info on configuring that?
    Proud Original Owner of a 70 GT
    Not pumpkin ORANGE no more though !!

Opeler jmbinjax is on a distinguished road jmbinjax's Avatar
    Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JSTOLLE View Post
    Do you have or know of any pictures or wiring info on configuring that?
    Try this thread. It has a lot of good information and also has links to other threads.

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter My location opellane is on a distinguished road opellane's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JSTOLLE View Post
    Mike-I can relate to your gas station horror story...happened to me yesterday as I was filling up on non-oxygenated fuel for $4.00 per gallon to see if that will help. Without fail someone always comes up to me and comments on the car. Then I get in and it cranks for a while while I pray for a start! Several posts in here reenforce the electric fuel pump idea. I just got done putting the old snorkel back on using the weber adapter from OGTS in hopes that that would bring cooler air into the situation. We'll watch that and the fuel for a couple of weeks to see if things get better. If not, I may be going the electric fuel pump route. Do you have or know of any pictures or wiring info on configuring that?
    So I am not alone here, when she's cranky, It's amazing Now, When I stop to get gas fuel/ and now I like to hit the Ice Cream Stands too, the kids love it.

I only had hard starts in the Spring and Summer, when you want to drive the car the most.
    I've been using 93 octane Sunco and adding lead to fuel. Nothing else. For Hot Summer Days,Make sure that your fuel tank vent / canister is working properly, as you don't want to trap Fuel Vapor and overload the fuel pump. The Electric Pump is the way to GO, It's pretty easy to install yourself, just make sure you drain all the fuel and also make sure you remove the fuel sock inside the tank too. Then mount the Pump and run your switch leg and a Ground, I used a 24 Volt relay as current draw less on the Ignition switch.
    and you can get a Inertia Switch made for electric fuel pumps if your worried about safety.

Again, just my thoughts hope this will cure your problem.

Do you have a pilot relay on the starter motor?
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT,Citris Yellow 2.0L, Weber 38DGES
    1969 Opel GT Lt Blue Metallic 2.0L,Weber 38DGES
    1973 MGB, Red, Weber 38DG

ILLUMINATI JonsZX2SR is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can relate to the starting problem. Opels, especially the GT's get quite hot under the hood. I removed the mech. fuel pump on my '72 GT years ago and mounted and electrical pumo under the rear luggage cover in my GT. The electric pump draws from the tank and pressurizes all the fuel forward of it at about 4.5-5.0 psi avoiding vapor lock problems.

I've used this setup on two cars with the stock Solex 32/32, hybrid Solex 32/35 (using Audi parts) Weber 32/36 and with a single Weber sidedraft 40DCOE setup.

Never had a problem, unless the carb itself was completely bunged. I would never go back tio the stock fuel pump setup.

tomking My location tomking is on a distinguished road tomking's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I put the carter rotary fuel pump on my 73 Manta. But the other day I drove it to town and while I left it running at the cleaners while I picked up my clean clothes it vapor locked. It took 45 minutes before it would start and remain running again. So the electric fuel pump didnt stop mine from the vapor lock. Plus I have the bypass fuel filter just before the carb. Needless to say I was dissappointed.
    TMK

Opeler My location dcm013 dcm013's Avatar
    Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tomking View Post
    I put the carter rotary fuel pump on my 73 Manta. But the other day I drove it to town and while I left it running at the cleaners while I picked up my clean clothes it vapor locked. It took 45 minutes before it would start and remain running again. So the electric fuel pump didnt stop mine from the vapor lock. Plus I have the bypass fuel filter just before the carb. Needless to say I was dissappointed.
    My Opels, at least in the past, have restared after a prolonged crank, but they won't idle for more than a few minutes when hot. No problem with vapor lock in the fuel line but the gas boils in the carb/manifold. If I open the hood, they're usually fine. Heat's the culprit (with today's gas anyway). Hope I get to Charlotte OK See you there!

Don

Weber Carburetor Guru bigjim5551212 is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JonsZX2SR View Post
    I can relate to the starting problem. Opels, especially the GT's get quite hot under the hood. I removed the mech. fuel pump on my '72 GT years ago and mounted and electrical pumo under the rear luggage cover in my GT. The electric pump draws from the tank and pressurizes all the fuel forward of it at about 4.5-5.0 psi avoiding vapor lock problems.

I've used this setup on two cars with the stock Solex 32/32, hybrid Solex 32/35 (using Audi parts) Weber 32/36 and with a single Weber sidedraft 40DCOE setup.

Never had a problem, unless the carb itself was completely bunged. I would never go back tio the stock fuel pump setup.

If you run 4.5-5 psi, you will have other fuel problems, like flooding the engine.

'72 Opel GT (Sara) My location newman27 is on a distinguished road newman27's Avatar
    Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My experience with this is slightly different. My car never fails to start but will "vapor lock" on really hot days after a restart following a short rest. For example, if I drive the car for several miles and get the car to full temperature and then park it for 15 - 20 minutes, when I come back to the car she starts right up but then "vapor locks" after about a mile or so of driving. Stopping and popping the hood for as little as 5 - 10 minutes enables me to get home. It's a pretty rare occurence but under the right conditions I've had this happen. I'm using BP Premium (93 octane).

Matt
    Last edited by newman27; 08-25-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, Custom CAI, Sprint Manifold,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Other Cars:
    '09 Pontiac G8 GT (Panther Black) "Jet"
    '06 Pontiac Solstice (Envious Green) "Mina"
    '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS (Black Onyx) "Raven"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information