4-barrel Opel intake manifold with pics
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4-barrel Opel intake manifold with pics

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads

4-barrel Opel intake manifold with pics

I found this intake manifold after having misplaced it for many years.

A little background first, it was custom made by Dave Cooley (used to work for C & R Small Cars) in 1984. The intent was to have them mass produced and sold in the US and European markets. So after some preliminary testing in the US, the intake and carburetor (I bought the 390 cfm Holley 4-bbl and the air filter) were shipped to Stefan Lukas at Parsget in Germany. He installed the setup onto an Opel GT, and proceeded to try to achieve TUV approval. Unfortunately, the intake/carb combination did not pass due to increased emissions levels over stock (Germany was really just then getting 'green' when it came to these issues). However the ironic thing it that nobody ever changed the jetting from stock! So it possibly would have passed with some fine tuning.

Anyway, 9 months later the intake came back to the US, and it was then put on a shelf by Dave. My intent was to get a mass-produced intake for 'free' by supplying the carb and air filter (per a deal I struck with Smitty, one of C & R's owners). However without the European market to sell to, the intake was never mass produced, and I was essentially 'SOL'. Years later, after Dave had been out of Opels for some time, I contacted him looking for my Holley carb and air filter, and asked him if he wanted to sell the intake. We arrived at a number and struck a deal, and it was mine.

Fast forward many years later, and I ended up putting the intake on my flow bench and finding some flow issues with it (mostly distribution). So I proceeded to correct these issues, and then again put it on a shelf. At which point I forgot which shelf exactly, and which box!

So fortunately I recently 're-found' my intake, and took a few pics for posterity and historical reasons. So here it is:

My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Detritus Maximus opelbits is on a distinguished road opelbits's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Bob-

If emissions were a consideration, can I assume the intake/390 combination was meant to work on engines near stock or slightly modified?
    If not, what sort of engine set up was it intended for?
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Moderator My location Ooooner is on a distinguished road Ooooner's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, do you think this could ever be made to be practical for 1.9L or 2.0L engines?
    Roy Bell
    1973 GT
    1972 1900 Wagon
    1974 Manta Rallye
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club
    OMC

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob has a spectacular aura about RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelbits View Post
    Hi Bob-

If emissions were a consideration, can I assume the intake/390 combination was meant to work on engines near stock or slightly modified?
    If not, what sort of engine set up was it intended for?
    It was tested originally on a stock 1974 Opel wagon with a low compression hydraulic engine and an automatic tranny!

In Germany it was run on a GT with a stock flat-top/solid lifter engine with a 4-speed tranny.

The divider was added after initial testing showed the low compression engine bogged a lot under load. The divider eliminated the bog altogether.

The intent was to fit ANY low port heads, any chassis (thus the low plenum height), and any engine displacement.
    My Flickr photos.

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    So, do you think this could ever be made to be practical for 1.9L or 2.0L engines?
    See my last response....
    My Flickr photos.

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bob;
    Are you going to try and see if you can improve on the past and bolt it to a proper motor and tune it?
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel is on a distinguished road neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Would this work?
    Last edited by RallyBob; 04-06-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: underlined text
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

Member 1000 Post Club My location Paul is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was in a salvage yard in the Oklahoma City area back around 1985 and ran across a 1975 FI manifold that someone had hacked the top off of and welded an aluminum 4-barrel adaptor plate onto it.... I just laughed.... For giggles, I asked how much and they answered with some outragus price, like $75. Again I just laughed.
    Paul

Just an old fart My location wrench459 will become famous soon enough wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    I found this intake manifold after having misplaced it for many years.
    Unfortunately, the intake/carb combination did not pass due to increased emissions levels over stock (Germany was really just then getting 'green' when it came to these issues). However the ironic thing it that nobody ever changed the jetting from stock! So it possibly would have passed with some fine tuning.
    I like it Bob. Strange story because we all know that Holley's are jetted correctly from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I was in a salvage yard in the Oklahoma City area back around 1985 and ran across a 1975 FI manifold that someone had hacked the top off of and welded an aluminum 4-barrel adaptor plate onto it.... I just laughed....
    And now I know how to make a tunnel ram intake for my GT LOL
    Thats a riot Paul!!!!!!
    Black Horse

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    Bob;
    Are you going to try and see if you can improve on the past and bolt it to a proper motor and tune it?
    Gene, I'm toying with bolting it onto the 2.2 in my wagon. Depends how the 40 mm Mikunis run, and the fuel economy with each setup.

I have the old 390 cfm carb but it's pretty haggard and needs to be overhauled. I also have a 450 cfm 4-bbl I originally got for my Bonneville project, and it's brand new in the box. The 2.2 *might* be able to handle that carb.
    My Flickr photos.

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neuropel View Post
    Would this work?
    A wee bit too much flow I think....1375 cfm for the small versions!
    My Flickr photos.

"Friend with Benefits" My location heimue is on a distinguished road heimue's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can see that you didn't stand a chance with the German TÜV in the 80's. That is definitely different nowadays, it should be doable now. Although, I'm sure that a Holley carb is high-priced in Germany, and not in everybodies budget (I'm making an assumption here).

Dieter

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by heimue View Post
    I can see that you didn't stand a chance with the German TÜV in the 80's. That is definitely different nowadays, it should be doable now. Although, I'm sure that a Holley carb is high-priced in Germany, and not in everybodies budget (I'm making an assumption here).

Dieter
    The intent was to offer just the intake alone, and to also offer the intake with the carb, air filter, gaskets, and throttle linkage as a package. A new Holley 390 is $360 from Summit Racing. Back 25 years ago I think I paid $240 for mine, which was about $60 more than a 32/36 DGEV cost back then (in the US). So not so expensive in the scheme of things, and with W.D. purchasing power I'm sure the cost would have dropped substantially.
    My Flickr photos.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information