2.4 with an SSD and a 45DCOE - Page 8
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: 2.4 with an SSD and a 45DCOE

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I don't drive like RallyBob or Charlie!!!!!!
    <SNIP>
    I have done many drives like Grandpa where I stayed at 50 or 70mph non-stop and never changed speed for 2 hours and still I only get 15mpg.
    OK Gordo, when life gives you lemons (non-racing type), spit out the seeds and smile! (It makes everyone wonder what you are thinking about!) I have been thinking about something that MAY help your problem. I have only been THINKING about this as it will NOT be anywhere near the top of my priority list (when it gets there). What you need to do is to get rid of your automatic transmission (don't get your panties in a wad just yet, I know that isn't going to happen that way) and get a DIFFERENT automatic transmission! This will be another MAJOR mod program but hear me out: my first impression is that a GM TH700R4 MIGHT fit YOUR engine.

By the numbers: 1. it is a FOUR speed auto with a 0.70 4th gear. I have put together a spread sheet showing the 4 speed manual, TH180 (yours), TH700 and some newer Electronic 5 speeds (which would be a real PITA to swap). You can play with rear axle ratios, desired cruise rpm, and tire diameters to see if a combo works for you. with the BIG overdrive, you will almost certainly want the 3.44 (or more) back in the axle!
    2. The early versions of the 700R4 had a 27 spline main shaft (like the TH180) so maybe that fits (this shaft was a weak point but it was used with small block Chevys),
    3. The 700R4 is a "mechanical" transmission so a computer is not required,
    4. Parts are readily available in the US (but with a 2.4 vs 327+ it should be bulletproof),
    5. The Opel Omega used a 4L60E(lectronic) which replaced the 700R4 so maybe a bell housing for your 2.4 will fit the 2 together,
    6. you can be the first kid on the block with a 4 speed auto attached to his Opel engined GT!

Probably more, but I just started thinking about this and thought my GOOD FRIEND GORDO NEEDS this!
    Now, the disclaimer: I have only a few hours (minutes?) of thought into this so, "Kids, don't try this at home!"

HTH - Doug

This file was developed on Open Office and saved as an .xls file. You may have to open Excel, then open this file from inside Excel. I have to do the reverse (open Open Office, then open Excel files). If it doesn't work, maybe someone else can help me convert!

The 3 numbers in RED in row 3 are to be changed as desired. The rest are data and output.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    OK Gordo, when life gives you lemons (non-racing type), spit out the seeds and smile! (It makes everyone wonder what you are thinking about!) I have been thinking about something that MAY help your problem. I have only been THINKING about this as it will NOT be anywhere near the top of my priority list (when it gets there). What you need to do is to get rid of your automatic transmission (don't get your panties in a wad just yet, I know that isn't going to happen that way) and get a DIFFERENT automatic transmission! This will be another MAJOR mod program but hear me out: my first impression is that a GM TH700R4 MIGHT fit YOUR engine.
    I have looked into the TH700R4 swap for the longest time, just haven't DONE it yet. I even picked up a 700R4 core years ago. Here's the deal, the V8 version has a huge bellhousing, and it is not removeable. The version used in the 2WD Chevy S10 pickup with 2.8 V6 is a better choice. It has a smaller bellhousing.

I figured I could cut about 1" off a stock Opel 4-speed bellhousing, machine a similar amount off the TH700R4, and weld them together. The transmission is almost exactly 4" longer than the TH180. It is a bit wider, so it would be snug in a GT, to say the least. Not such an issue in a Manta or Ascona.

The biggie is you would need a custom torque converter. The stock stall speed is tight for a 4-cylinder engine. The converter is also larger and heavier. Rather than rework the stock TH700R4 converter and Opel flexplate, my transmission guy said he can build me a custom converter that fits the Opel flex plate, has the stock
    OD, any stall speed I want, and sockets into the TH700R4 tranny pump. But it's about $500. He can even make it a lockup converter.

Anyway, my plans were to use a 3.89 axle ratio with the TH700R4, enjoy the increased acceleration, and still have a 2.72 final drive ratio for the highway.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oops, forgot my pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GoinManta likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    I have looked into the TH700R4 swap for the longest time, just haven't DONE it yet.
    Uhhh.......howsabout NOW?!!

I even picked up a 700R4 core years ago.
    Yeah, I'm listenin'......

V8 version......huge. The version used in the 2WD Chevy S10 pickup with 2.8 V6 is a better choice. It has a smaller bellhousing.
    Yeah, yeah, keep talkin'........

I figured I could cut about 1" off a stock Opel 4-speed bellhousing,
    Yeah, yeah, blah, blah......

......machine a similar amount off the TH700R4.....
    tick...tock....tick....tock....C'MON! Get it done already!!!!

......and weld them together.
    Okay, now we're talkin'! AND.............?

The transmission is almost exactly 4" longer than the TH180.
    I can live with that. No pesky parking brake lever in the way.

It is a bit wider, so it would be snug in a GT, to say the least.
    I own a sledge hammer and a hack saw.

The biggie is you would need a custom torque converter. my transmission guy said he can build me a custom converter But it's about $500. He can even make it a lockup converter.
    That's drinkin' money. No problem.

When can I expect delivery?

RallyBob, wayne70gt and opelnut_1 like this.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have looked into the TH700R4 swap for the longest time, just haven't DONE it yet. I even picked up a 700R4 core years ago. Here's the deal, the V8 version has a huge bellhousing, and it is not removeable. The version used in the 2WD Chevy S10 pickup with 2.8 V6 is a better choice. It has a smaller bellhousing.

I figured I could cut about 1" off a stock Opel 4-speed bellhousing, machine a similar amount off the TH700R4, and weld them together. The transmission is almost exactly 4" longer than the TH180. It is a bit wider, so it would be snug in a GT, to say the least. Not such an issue in a Manta or Ascona.

The biggie is you would need a custom torque converter. The stock stall speed is tight for a 4-cylinder engine. The converter is also larger and heavier. Rather than rework the stock TH700R4 converter and Opel flexplate, my transmission guy said he can build me a custom converter that fits the Opel flex plate, has the stock
    OD, any stall speed I want, and sockets into the TH700R4 tranny pump.
    But it's about $500. He can even make it a lockup converter.

Anyway, my plans were to use a 3.89 axle ratio with the TH700R4, enjoy the increased acceleration, and still have a 2.72 final drive ratio for the highway.
    Bob, I guess I'm not as crazy as everyone thinks I am! Glad to know that you think it is a feasible option. In the Wikipedia writeup, I noticed that the big engine TH got a 31 spline shaft early on, but they implied that the 2.6 and "4 cylinder" cars stayed with 27. In another thread you said the 27 spline that was questioned would not fit the Opel engine. Does this one fit or is that part of the custom torque converter?

I know almost nothing (or maybe less than that) about automatic transmissions but I have 2 TH180s sitting on the floor of my shop and am thinking about taking one apart to see if I can follow the FSM with parts in hand and learn a bit. I was thinking that the 700R4 was common enough and used in so many Chevys that a modified torque converter was essentially available "off the shelf". What parts drive the custom "requirement"?

Was the 3.89 a GT rear or something else? My numbers would say 3000 rpm in OD would be 80+ mph. I was looking at a 4.10 from a Ford Ranger rear end but I almost never drive over 75 so 3000 rpm still works (more or less).

Thanks for the input! My priority list may get modified? Now, from your standpoint, I think you could sell one to Gordo for enough cash to build 2 and I don't know which of your cars gets the second one, but anyone you like! Could I get a ride as a "finder's fee"?

Doug

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Steinmetz install begins.....

As with almost all mods to our cars, you have to do all sorts of mods to get your mods to work. This manifold is no exception. Test fittings and preliminary observations revealed most of these to me before I got started, so I'm mentally prepared for this install to fight me tooth and nail. Here we go........

Before removing the Midikit set up........

Steinmetz install (1).jpg

After removal.....

Steinmetz install (2).jpg

Test fit of the manifold.......

Steinmetz install (3).jpg

The upper front corner of the manifold hit the thermostat housing, so I had to lop off a 10mm radius of it for clearance......

Steinmetz install (4).jpg

Carb and manifold all bolted in place.......

Steinmetz install (5).jpg

My 65mm velocity stacks are too long to slip inside the carb with the carb bolted in place. Yeah, I could attach them to the carb and THEN bolt the carb to the manifold, but they would be too close to the fender for good airflow and if I ever want to remove them I'd have to unbolt the carb. No, don't wanna do that. Better to order 30-35mm stacks...........

Steinmetz install (6).jpg

The two remaining problems: The location of the vacuum port and it's proximity to the linkage shaft and the extreme angle of the oem length linkage shaft where it meets the carb.

Steinmetz install (7).jpg

I could put an elbow fitting(s) on the manifold to fix the vacuum port issue. Fixing the linkage issue has me stumped at this point. I have the fancy stainless linkage kit and it comes with swivels at the firewall pivots, so I can angle the rod to meet the carb and not incur binding, but the angle at the carb itself is a BIG problem. The changing angle of the roll pin through the linkage shaft as the shaft rotates means that it will slide in and out of the slotted carb actuator lever. I can deal with that. Maybe. But there's nothing presently to keep the linkage on the screw-on ball thingy on the carb shaft. That end of the shaft doesn't have the spring clip feature and the angle that the shaft meets the ball is so extreme that I might not be able use a clip. I don't want to go the cable throttle route because that would mean weeks of reconfiguring everything and lots of mods.

How can I rotate the carb's throttle while still maintaining all or most of the solid linkage set up?

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Need to do something with that stock GT (air filter) canister mounting bracket.
    Stick a stainless steel bolt w/ washer into the M8 hole, or cover it with a chrome/ stainless steel thing.
    Threads look rusty or discolored in the pictures.

Owner of EZ2Wire.com My location GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fixing the linkage issue has me stumped at this point. I have the fancy stainless linkage kit and it comes with swivels at the firewall pivots, so I can angle the rod to meet the carb and not incur binding, but the angle at the carb itself is a BIG problem. The changing angle of the roll pin through the linkage shaft as the shaft rotates means that it will slide in and out of the slotted carb actuator lever. I can deal with that. Maybe. But there's nothing presently to keep the linkage on the screw-on ball thingy on the carb shaft. That end of the shaft doesn't have the spring clip feature and the angle that the shaft meets the ball is so extreme that I might not be able use a clip. I don't want to go the cable throttle route because that would mean weeks of reconfiguring everything and lots of mods.

How can I rotate the carb's throttle while still maintaining all or most of the solid linkage set up?

Crazy idea, its made for weber side drafts, Gil is selling the manifold, shouldn't he have a solution ? I would have thought it would be in directions he sent with the manifold.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '05 Pontiac GTO

In the past owned:
    '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    '73 Blue Max Manta Luxus
    & at least 20 other Opels

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    <<< delete >>>
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 04-08-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I put my round magnetic tool tray where the filter canister used to be:

Engine 10-27-15 (7).jpg

Instructions?

Wah! Ha! Ha! Ha!

You sound like that guy a few weeks ago who asked us if there was a "kit" to put a Hemi in a GT.

Wah! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Or those guys who ask if there's a "kit" to put FI on your Opel!

Wah! Ha! Ha! Ha!

No, Charlie, it didn't come with instructions. It's a 40 year old design that NO ONE has ever put on a car. I'm on my own.

tick...tock......I just called OGTS and got Dennis on the road to somewhere. He also suggests I talk to Gil, but he recalled seeing a video of one of these on a running car and he sent me a YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcqp9leKcQ

Cable throttle. Also notice that carb in the video is a smaller, more compact, Solex. Look at the vertical cable stop bracket near the throttle.

Hmmmm.......this does not make Gordo happy.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 04-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.

2000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads

Instructions?

Wah! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Hmmmm.......this does not make Gordo happy.

Works for you! But you have cut out the heater box where the extra bracket would be screw on!
    So you must add a "Siemens Air Hook" ;-))

2pcs 6x6mm RC Boat Universal joint coupling U-Joint US TH038-03201E | eBay
    "www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-6x6mm-RC-Boat-Universal-joint-coupling-U-Joint-US-TH038-03201E-/171792418286?hash=item27ffa045ee:g:NWQAAOSw~OVWv8o C]2pcs 6x6mm RC Boat Universal joint coupling U-Joint US TH038-03201E | eBay"
    Last edited by kwilford; 04-08-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: AutoGuide is forwarding eBay links to VigLink, so copy and paste the URL
    P.J. Romano and The Scifi Guy like this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The easiest way might be to go to a cable setup like P.J. did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The easiest way might be to go to a cable setup like P.J. did.
    If at all possible use an existing cable setup as a model. They are a royal PIA to do from scratch. You need enough travel for full range pedal operation matched to enough travel for the carb without over or under driving either end while maintaining a decent pedal feel.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    Works for you! But you have cut out the heater box where the extra bracket would be screw on!

"www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-6x6mm-RC-Boat-Universal-joint-coupling-U-Joint-US-TH038-03201E-/171792418286?hash=item27ffa045ee:g:NWQAAOSw~OVWv8o C]2pcs 6x6mm RC Boat Universal joint coupling U-Joint US TH038-03201E | eBay"
    ...or I was thinking a flexible drive extension, such as
    30cm 1/4&#034; Silver Hex Flex Flexible Hose Screwdriver Extension Bit Holder Adapter | eBay
    "http://www.ebay.com/itm/30cm-1-4-Silver-Hex-Flex-Flexible-Hose-Screwdriver-Extension-Bit-Holder-Adapter-/292049043219?hash=item43ff7abf13:g:WDIAAOSwo4pYhWj-"
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    " Reason: AutoGuide is forwarding eBay links to VigLink, so copy and paste the URL "

When it came up by me in the past,I switch it off on the VigLink site
    No problems now!

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post

Great! That's EXACTLY what I was thinking of for a solution: A universal joint in the linkage! I could put one end directly on the carb throttle shaft and chop the ball cup off of the end of the linkage rod and put the other end of the universal joint on there. I think that would work! I have old linkage rods that I could use to experiment with.

But I think it is too late in the year to try this mod now. I have a reliable, well-working, system right now and driving season has begun. I will order the u-joint and the shorter velocity stacks and play with attaching them, but I think it is best for me to put everything back the way it was for now.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    If at all possible use an existing cable setup as a model. They are a royal PIA to do from scratch. You need enough travel for full range pedal operation matched to enough travel for the carb without over or under driving either end while maintaining a decent pedal feel.
    Yup, you said it. I still have Vietnam-style flashbacks from 3 years ago when I tried to put duals on the Red Baron and I tried to make my own cable throttle set up.

Here's some more pics. I took the assemblage off the car. The darn thing is, the solid linkage would work just fine if a bracket assembly was made that had a push/pull connecting rod that went from the linkage to the throttle:

More Steinmetz install (5).jpg More Steinmetz install (4).jpg

If the rod could come straight out from the firewall, like it normally does, it would end up 1" BELOW the vacuum port and about 3" away from the throttle shaft and below it at a 30* angle. I would need to make a mounting plate/bracket for the linkage to pivot at and anchor things in place, but there's no decent place to mount it.

More Steinmetz install (2).jpg

Here's Norbert's idea using a U-joint:

More Steinmetz install (1).jpg

I have plenty of side draft carb rods and widgets I could use to make it:

More Steinmetz install (3).jpg
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 04-08-2017 at 07:21 PM.

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My 65mm velocity stacks are too long to slip inside the carb with the carb bolted in place. Yeah, I could attach them to the carb and THEN bolt the carb to the manifold, but they would be too close to the fender for good airflow and if I ever want to remove them I'd have to unbolt the carb. No, don't wanna do that. Better to order 30-35mm stacks...........
    From some reason it is difficult to find slide-in type velocity stacks shorter than 65 mm. They are available for DCOE 40 but I could not find them for DCOE 45. If you locate them, please let me know.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. Romano View Post
    From some reason it is difficult to find slide-in type velocity stacks shorter than 65 mm. They are available for DCOE 40 but I could not find them for DCOE 45. If you locate them, please let me know.
    P.J., here are ones in 40mm for DCOE 45.You can take it when be here in Europ
    You can use my home address and I will bring your parts to Sevenum Meeting!
    There are also 16mm and 25mm lenght if you click left on "Ansaugtrichter"

Alu Ansaugtrichter DCOE 45 L= 40mm -- Krause-Rennsporttechnik.de

Or here my favorit dealer with other lenght.Scoll down.

http://www.di-michele.de/html/ansaug...uftfilter.html
    Last edited by norbertone.gt371; 04-09-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    P.J. Romano likes this.

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Norbert indeed. I will have them shipped to my daughter in Holland.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information