Opel GT Forum banner

Luggage carrier / Luggage rack

7K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  fredopelgt 
#1 ·
Hello

I'm looking for some pictures of GT's with a luggage rack. I've already seen two different types, but I dont have any pictures of it.

I think there is a type which start on top of the rear window. And the other one start below the rear window. I'm not sure.

I hope you can help me.

#2 ·
racks

DeGoes;
The one that starts above the rear window is actually a ski rack for the GT VERY rare in this country, better chance out in the ski areas of the US. There were two types that started below the rear window, one was a cheap one that you could get at Walmart, Kmart, Target and such. It rusted real quick and never stayed tight. The other, which was meant for it, was made by AMCO. It fit very well, triple chromed, and was hinged to allow access to the gas cap. The AMCO one pops up on the US Ebay every now and then. If the ski rack is what you're after, you would have a better chance in Europe than here of finding one.
HTH,
Gene

#6 ·
Take a look here in my memeber gallery:
http://opelgt.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/12551
I have two pictures of the luggage rack I have. One is a shot of the whole thing, looking down, and the other is a shot of the securing knob that holds the back ened down. Undo it and the rack tilts up.

#7 · (Edited)
DeGoes said:
Hello

I'm looking for some pictures of GT's with a luggage rack. I've already seen two different types, but I dont have any pictures of it.

I think there is a type which start on top of the rear window. And the other one start below the rear window. I'm not sure.

I hope you can help me.
If you go to main menu, photo gallery, f , fredopelgt, you will find a pic of the opel (GM) manufactured luggage rack.

An Opeler colleague of mine has made some drawings of the afore mentioned. However we only met up once a year.

I know Buchta Motorsport is also on the same mission.

Hope this has helped.

One further thought I used to have one on my Opel GT and it does cause your chrome to discolor.

Fred

#9 ·
tglepo71 said:
Hello,

I just bought an old GT rack, and I am wondering how it can be mounted. Can you help me ? I am leaving in belgium too and think that I have the one which has to be mounted just under the rear glas .

Thanks a lot !

Pierre
Pierre;
Which type do you have? Is it the AMCO type? Can you supply a picture?

#10 · (Edited)
eBay....

A NOS AMCO rack just sold on eBay ... for $356 and change .....

Try luggage rack and ski rack in the search here for some pictures of both the luggage racks and the ski rack - I have loaded them on to threads before.

Try: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557&highlight=Ski+rack

There is also a luggage rack that bolts on to the ski rack ..... gotta spin one up out of stainless tube for my GT.

BTW: What brand of Rifle Rack do you have, Gene? We want pictures!

#12 ·
Heh! Heh!

BQS4 said:
Jim;
It's just a joke. I was feeling red neckish that day and decided to go all out.:D
Gene
Just calling your bluff! Was once accused of being a "*******" by a female radio talkback host - hotly denighed it! "My neck is CRIMSON - just the thin veneer of civilisation that makes it look RED!" I told her (and the whole country it seems as we were on air at the time) .... :)

#14 ·
Thanks so much ...

Hello All,

Now I understand better ... If the one I got is a real GT one, it's more going to be the cheep one that was for sale at Wallmart. Not the AMCO for sale on e-bay. I saw the Amco on a GT in France some weeks ago. Picture attached.

I have attached pictures on the one I got too. Does it look like a GT one ?

Thanks so much for your help !

Pierre

Attachments

#17 ·
Hmm, doesn't seem like it would be too tough to make one of these at all. Could even build a 'pickup truck' style full roof rack for those GT owners getting 2 x 4's from their local home improvement center!

#22 ·
Well spotted Jim, bonus points for you:)

Funny you should say that.....I'm just getting on the plane now, the sad thing is the only thing missing from the rack is the skin-tone bung with alloy hooks, I had it in the garage til about 5years ago!!

The thing is both racks look so easy to replicate, I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much to repro them....anyone fancy a taking on the task.....another group buy maybe?

#23 ·
The ski rack is so close to my home ...

What a world !

I am living so close to Leverkussen (150 miles) where the ski rack is for sale, and not so interested in it, more in the Amco one, which is so complicate to find here in Europe...

FYI, new copies of the ski rack are available in Europe now. But no chrome !

I have attached two examples.

Pierre

Attachments

#26 ·
And Flared trouser, Dunlop Green Flash trainers and hairy band-dito mostaches.........OMG I'm becoming my DAD:scared1:

Personally I think it'll be just awesome to turn up at some of the events with a ski-rack and skis attached.....especially in the height of summer, lol.

Also being really practical, considering what a practical car the GT is, the Ski-rack is far nicer because there's no drilling the body-work, so if the price is right I may just have to get one...or ten!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.