Opel GT Forum banner

GT Differences

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  greensmurf20 
#1 ·
I found two GT in the wrecking yards hear abouts and was looking at purchasing one for a parts car since the bodies are rusted to the point of uneconomical repair but they do have fair interior and running gear in them. What are the differences in the years? Were there major differences in the drivetrain and suspension? What is a reasonable price to pay for a parts car? The prices the yards quoted me seemed to be a little steep to me...$750 for one and $800 for the other. I was looking in the no more than $400 range. Is that unreasonable? Calling on all you GT professionals to help edumecate me!!!!

#2 ·
800 is too high for parts car by far. 400 for a highly rusted GT is high unless it has some real usefull parts on it. 70 and older has the high compression, solid lifter engines, worth 20HP over stock low compression or so. 69 has a bunch of odd pieces you'd notice immediately. other than that they're pretty much the same, just look at the rear axles to see if either of them have factory swaybar mounts, not likely but never hurts to look.

#3 ·
Yes, $800 and $750 are to high. I would offer him $250 and then walk away. Those cars are going to be there for a loooonnnngggg time at that price.

The 1973 (some) at the end of the production run had split tail lights. The 1969 had square turn signels light indicators on the dash and the wiring was a little different.

Do a search on the this site and I beleave there is a paper (adobe I think) that tells all the differences going thru the years.

#4 ·
Um, have you seen them? Motor, tranny and suspension is about it. The rest is gone or no good. There was a like new original air filter snorkel and reasonable culumn and at least the better of the two's front glass. Don't make a bid on a car without seeing it. Are these the same 2 I told you of?

#5 ·
Parts Cars for $0.00

You should be able to pick up a good parts car for for under a $100 if not free, just have to look around and be patient they are out there. Believe me I don't have a dozen parts cars for that kind of money at 700-800 a piece. I picked up a 73 Manta Raylle off e-bay a few months back for $31.00 (and its well worth restoring) and a GT got thown into the deal just to haul it off and it was full of parts, pluse the parts on the car. Just look around they are there, for $700-800 it should be virtually rust free or no major rust out, clear title, and run and be 85-95% complete, sure it may have rips in the seats, need a little body work and paint or maybe need some new tires and a set of matching wheels, a light lense cracked or broken, or some rewiring. But not for that kind of price for a parts car. I know where you could pick-up 12 GTs for $1200, form 69 to 73, 1.1's to 1.9's, but in my opinion the the lot should go for less than $500 for me to haul them off, and they pay me.
rk

#6 ·
If it's the two I saw I can't agree more. I looked them over well and didn't need even a box for good parts. Granted your looking for a different part. One thing you have to keep in mind is distance. A 31 dollar car in northern Texas for me in colorado just became 400. Another lesser known fact is there were two in this area collecting Opels and between them the number is staggering of how many left the area in one way or another. Something in the 280 cars range of Opels left this area so parts cars don't fall off trees nearby.

Take the rear and check it for play and take that route is my opinion.

#7 ·
Available parts/parts cars

Well the yards that have the two GT's one in Salt Lake city for $750 (W & W) and the other in Grantsville for $800 (McBrides) are not going to negotiate on there price for these "parts cars". They will indeed be keeping them for a long time because my mama raised no fool... So I'm back to square one on my search. I've attempted to get in touch with Todd at Opels Unlimited but getting in touch with him is as easy as winning the lottery. My quest continues for a seviceable rear end for my 72. This wil enable me to keep my GT on the road and rebuild the original at my leisure. Would also like to aquire a rebuildable 1.9 and standard tranny to work and keep for spares. If anyone in the community can help this new Opeler out it would be greatly appreciated!!! It's a crying shame to leave a fine looking automobile in garage jail!!!

#9 ·
i have a whole pile of 4 speeds if you'd like one, come get it or pay its postage is all i ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.