Opel GT Forum banner

Opel GT Hybrid

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  duaneb 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Not of that car but have seen it , see 1969 opel kadett hybrid post
a company sold kits to change cars over to jet starter motors..
:)

#3 ·
I don't know a thing about it, but honestly.... Don't know if youd be tearing up the strip or impressing the ladies with a 6hp motor. vroom vroom NOT

#5 ·
Electric motors may not have HP, but they have Torque. So you have to understand your not limited to the 6HP, with full batterys your HP is determined by the electric motor.

The 1.1l and 72-73 models had less than 50 hp at the wheels. Admittedly the weak 1.9L cars had more torque than the 1.1L but you get the idea. Not only that, the amount of HP to keep a car moving is much less than that to get it started from a full stop.

Being the GT is so aerodynamic, the chances it has a really low requirement for sustaining 55 MPH. If memory serves, a 400 AMP motor is about 50 HP and a good bit of torque. So performance may not be as bad as you think.

Charles

#6 ·
thing to work on is the electric motor ,the 6 hp motor is just to charge the batteries
i remember a few years ago a company here making a kitcar called the nova (it was sold in the states under another name) , VW beetle based and all the roof lifted up to get in and out
but 1 plan for it was to take out the flat 4 and mount an electric motor (dont know he size ) with a 35 cc motor from a weed wacker to run the charger
it did 0-60 in 6 sec and top speed was 130 mph and 3 fig milage if treated nice
these are speeds we spend a lot of money to get to and on a "6 hp motor "
i for 1 would not knock them :D

#8 ·
How did I know our resident electrical engineer would bust me on that ;)

I based it on a HVAC pump motor.. that has to have a 400 amp breaker.. tends to be 400 AMPs....

Charles

#9 ·
If memory serves me right(from my long ago Navy training) the tourque of a series wound DC motor is almost unlimited. Main limations are amount of current available and internal and external resistance, also RPM is only limited by load on the output shaft and the design limitations of the motor itself-ie how well the armature windings are contained in the armature.

I was one of the people that purchased the Mother Earth News plans for converting the GT to gas electric (never did the change) enjoyed the GT to much as it was to mess with it. I believe the jet starter moters were rated at 100 HP max. That would give you real good acceleration and the small gas engine would supply enough current at crusing speed to keep the batteries charged.
Feel free to correct me if Im wrong guys, Its been a long time since Ive played with high current DC. 1969 to be exact :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.