LSD install to early type GT axle
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By kummel
  • 1 Post By kummel
  • 1 Post By kummel
  • 1 Post By kummel

Thread: LSD install to early type GT axle

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

LSD install to early type GT axle

Here i will try to document what happens when i try to install 45%lsd from omega to a early c-clip opel GT rear axle.
    I bought a omega lsd and started with the axle strip down.
    Original differential is about 5mm wider than lsd unit, to compensate that i needed to make the following modifications.
    1) First machine lsd to take original size bearings.
    2)make a bushing for one bearings so i can move it outwards about 2mm more
    3) take 3mm off from the crown wheel to get located like it was in original unit. That depends on your rear axle ratio.
    This is what is done already, took the machinist almost half day to get the lsd unit and crown wheel done. Tomorrow i will be the installation back to the axle housing and adjusting the differential by moving different sized spacers under the bearings.
    4)Half shafts will be machined after i have the lsd in so i can get correct length for both half shats, because one need little shortening and other stays the same.
    Because i have early axle with no good c clips, i will be converting it to newer style bearings and makeing it to take opel rekord (VKBA 992 = 361984 DA
    d 35 x D 67 x B 22,5 x C 21 mm) bearing.
    That means that i have to take Alot of material off it. Original diameter for the bearing contact area was 47mm so it needs 12mm taken off.
    Everybody said that i will brake after that, still i think i have to try that on myself (same conversion has been done in finland and raced 5 years in historic class and still going)
    5) after tha shafts and new wheel bearing are in, i need something to hold the bearing on the shaft itself. For that use my plan is tu use a special bushing what will go inside from the wheel bearing on the shaft and that will be installed glowing red so it stays in the shaft and holds the bearing and the shaft not leaving from the axle.
    6) Also a new adapter will be made to hold the bearing inside the tube, that needs to be 68mm diameter. Because the new bearings are 22,5 wide it means that they come about 5,5mm over (hanging on the air).
    Oil seal will be moved inside the adapter and the adapter also get small groove for o ring to seal the adapter and axle tube. Tomorrow more pictures going. Sry for the ms paint made drawings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Scifi Guy and ggl like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some pictures of the car without the axle.
    Team Unter Puff likes this.

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am glad you posted this!!! It is rare that something is posted to this extreme, and detail. I like when other members come out and share some progress, as it keeps this site fresh with update tech info. I am assuming that the axles would not need the modifications if a later style axle was used?
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    with the later style axle you can skip all that half shatf mods and just to the lsd mods. that is pretty easy if you can acces machine shop.
    Costs so far also.
    LSD unit 150eur
    new wheel bearings 39eur for 2pc
    machine work for the lsd and crown wheel 30eur (friend did it)
    oil seal about 10eur for 2pc
    half shafts machined 20eur.
    installation about 50eur.
    Mistakes about 160eur (smart ones can skip that)
    hrcollinsjr likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Latest news from the machine shop, the axles are hardened thru so it takes more job to take it new measures but still it has enough meat to stand what 2,4 has to offer.
    I also found that the bearings (mentioned in earlier are with build oil seal and groove for the oil ring) so i can skip that part. Diff is back together and monday or tuesday i will get the axle back. Considering that the half shaft has 26mm as the smallest diameter and it will be 35 under the bearing it should hold just fine. After the winter rally i can comment how it has hold up. I think even with normal diff and problems with the bearings it might be un upgrade (early type i mean) bearings also come with bushing what goes on under heat and pressure to hold it place. I also asked about should i heat treat it again but the answer was no, because of the power and the material is tough enough.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shafts machined, lsd unit in the housing. Next step is to measure how much the shafts needs to be shortened. First calculations showed that i have to cut where the locking ring groove is, that is about 5mm shorter than original, but that should be fine because the spline area is long enough even after shortening.New bearings going to the housing and some material for distance adjustment.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Had first tesdrive today, seems to be working.I have to change one bad bearing but otherwise 2wd drive is quite nice compared to old 1wd. got it up to 75mph with out any noises from the back. I will give it some abuse on the weekend so we will see was it a good idea or not.

Real Name
    Adam Davidson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kummel View Post
    Had first tesdrive today, seems to be working.I have to change one bad bearing but otherwise 2wd drive is quite nice compared to old 1wd. got it up to 75mph with out any noises from the back. I will give it some abuse on the weekend so we will see was it a good idea or not.
    Glad to hear it is working out well. Good luck this weekend.
    1970 GT - Why can't I find any of my nuts.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    after some driving in a snow storm, i can say that it is working well, no weird sounds at least. Still because the gt is very light car, 12cm of snow can make take offs difficult because its just spinning both wheels and digging in. i will try some more weight in the back. It had some take offs on the tarmac also and some nasty pot holes, everything is still attached. This project tought me that it is possible you just have to calculate everything million time before any modifications. It also showed that original opel parts are not so perfectly made and also 40 years of abuse is changed little bit all the parts.
    So measure everything ,even if they look and should be the same part.
    Our winter rally start is on 23.veb before that i need to make some 500-1000km to brake in the engine a bit.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    old video from last years winter rally. without lsd in the back and original 1.9 engine.
    good parts is from 14:00min until 16:00

Thread Information