Opel GT V8 Project!!!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opel GT V8 Project!!!

Opeler Snakes111 is on a distinguished road Snakes111's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down Opel GT V8 Project!!!

I am currently starting on my project to put a Chevy small block 350 in my 69 Opel gt and was looking for some tips on how to get it ready like beefing up the suspension and or anything else. So if you can help please post thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

First ....

Put 300 lbs of sand on the hood and drive it - that is how your GT will handle with a Chevy cast iron V8 in it ... Nice Huh??
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Curve Crazy GT My location coolchrisp is on a distinguished road coolchrisp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not everyone puts in a V8 for handling. most likely for just goin fast in a straight line.
    before you worry about suspension you have to support the hole car! there is alot of threads on here about connecting the front and rear with rocker supports!
    thanks
    chris
    Owned Cars:
    1973 Opel GT
    1980 Chevy Monte Carlo-Current 383 project drag car.
    1972 Chevy Monte Carlo
    2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Supercharged 2.4 My location Gumby is on a distinguished road Gumby's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakes111 View Post
    I am currently starting on my project to put a Chevy small block 350 in my 69 Opel gt and was looking for some tips on how to get it ready like beefing up the suspension and or anything else. So if you can help please post thanks.
    My suggestion if you are dead set on a V-8 GT is to use an aluminum rover v-8 instead of the chevy small block, because it is a great deal lighter than the cast iron block.

Like others have said, a quick search of the forums will provide a wealth of information on what to expect in this kind of swap.

Good luck on completing your swap!

Über OpelGT.com Moderator My location kwilford will become famous soon enough kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After being a member for almost a year and a half, albeit with only 11 posts, I suspect that you should know to search first, then add to an existing thread, BEFORE you start a new thread, ESPECIALLY in the WRONG Forum (this was in the GT Forum, which is reserved for non-technical topics relating ONLY to the GT, so I moved it to the Engine Swap Forum). Please look around this Forum and THEN ask away.
    Thank you for your consideration.
    Keith Wilford
    If I could only find the time to work on my '71 Opel GT...

Non Civilian My location opelwasp is on a distinguished road opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll need to stop the body twist too, unless you like popping windshields out every time you mash the accelerator. You'll need to tube the chassis, upgrade the brakes so you can actually stop the beast, and also a whole new rear end is a must. The Opel ones just cant take the power.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    1987 Yamaha FZ600 (my new toy)

Opeler Snakes111 is on a distinguished road Snakes111's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmm...

Well i did some more researching and found there are many more things that would need to be done. But i was wondering if there was anyway to make the frame stronger without replacing it with a tubed frame?

5,000 Post Club My location namba209 (R.I.P.) is on a distinguished road namba209 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakes111 View Post
    Well i did some more researching and found there are many more things that would need to be done. But i was wondering if there was anyway to make the frame stronger without replacing it with a tubed frame?
    Nope, you can't replace the frame, the whole car is the frame, it's a uni-body. You can only add to what's there. Contact JP in FL, or the Gages in OH, they've both done the swaps correctly.
    Ron
    72 GT 3.4L V-6/T-5/ZF posi - almost done - Just need AC installed.
    75 Chevy monza 5.7L/TH350/Auburn 3.08 posi - Next

former opel racer My location jeff denton is on a distinguished road jeff denton's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff "Oh-Oh" Denton
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to tell you, I would not worry about putting a V8 in my chassis, which is the original frame and floor and tunnel and firewall, all very radically stiffened by rollcage galore rising up out of my unpatented Speedway Rocker Panels. The front suspension and rear end would certainly need some help, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that my car could handle 400 horsepower easily! With an aluminum block and heads and careful weight placement/planning, I guarantee you I could make it handle reasonably well, too. Course this is getting into a rather spendy little wet dream here, but I didn't see this thread start with the usual "how much is" baloney. Personally, I still like the Rover/Oldsmobubble V8. I just have always liked that motor. Have seen some neat stuff done with them. Have two of them in my own little collection of bizarre junk. One was in my S10 for a while, but then that idea got changed to 412 cubic inches... lots more fun to drive!
    Last edited by jeff denton; 03-31-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Opeler rowdygt is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree to agree....many successful unibody Chevy Vega, Monza, and Ford Pinto V8 conversions. As long as horsepower and torque are kept reasonable. Never saw one "pop out a windshield'. Using aluminum heads and light weight components, i would bet you could get the weight of the small block close enough to the 1.9 that the GT would not know the difference

5,000 Post Club My location namba209 (R.I.P.) is on a distinguished road namba209 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    RowdyGT, I've got a 75 monza with a factory installed 350 in it, and you would not believe the extra bracing the factory did to make the body survive the extra torque it puts out over the stock I-4 engine. Things like extra steel panels in the rear wheel well, braces welded in from the frame to the front sheetmetal and a very longish torque arm from the differential to the tranny, just to name a few. The body weighs about 200-300 lbs more than the stock I-4 body, and that doesn't include the suspension upgrades to handle the extra engine weight. Jeff is probably right, that he could put one in his GT and it will handle the power easily, but he's got a full cage inside his, which as he said, radically stiffens up the body. Plus like he said, suspension and drivetrain have to be modified or built to be able to handle it too. I'll take the word of the general consensus that I'm approaching the limit of what an almost stock GT can handle with my 160 HP V-6 setup.
    Ron
    72 GT 3.4L V-6/T-5/ZF posi - almost done - Just need AC installed.
    75 Chevy monza 5.7L/TH350/Auburn 3.08 posi - Next

Non Civilian My location opelwasp is on a distinguished road opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdygt View Post
    I agree to agree....many successful unibody Chevy Vega, Monza, and Ford Pinto V8 conversions. As long as horsepower and torque are kept reasonable. Never saw one "pop out a windshield'. Using aluminum heads and light weight components, i would bet you could get the weight of the small block close enough to the 1.9 that the GT would not know the difference
    Vega's, Pinto's, and the Monza are very different cars than a GT. The GT's extremely curved windshield makes it more prone to pop under high power applications.
    And as far as keeping torque and horsepower "reasonable", who wants a 200 HP V-8? If someone puts a V-8 into a GT I don't think reasonable is what they had in mind. Someone drops in a V-8 it will likely be pushing at least 300 HP, WAY beyond the GT's body limits.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    1987 Yamaha FZ600 (my new toy)

Moderator My location jordan is on a distinguished road jordan's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I would say as well if you have a 200hp goal I would just build a hot opel engine. Probably cost less in the long run and save a alot of time hacking the engine bay. Also it makes for a much more interesting car, the original tiny opel engine putting out your power goal, or a big v-8.....big deal.
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who wants a 200 HP V8?....Buick/Rover 215 V8's are so popular with MGB owners that it makes this engine hard to get. No popped out windshields on the MGB either. To get a small block Chevy to produce 300 real live no B.S. horsepower on a REAL no B.S. rear wheel dyno takes some work- beyond stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are comparing apples to oranges, most MGB V-8 conversions are done on the convertibles and not the MGB GT because the convertible has a beefed up unibody that allows the car to supports itself and also enough to handle the additional hp and torque that the V-8 puts out (within reason.) Many people think the reason for this is merely because the B-GT isn't as popular, but there is more of a reason.
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

former opel racer My location jeff denton is on a distinguished road jeff denton's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff "Oh-Oh" Denton
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Uh-oh. Time for a quick lesson about one of my personal favorite sports cars, the MGB GT. I've had two of them. I came to love them when I was stationed in Scotland, where a local tavern owner had one called a MGB GT/V8, he also had a Lotus Europa, what a car!
    The Olds 215 aka Rover V8 was an option in an MGB GT, it was clearly marked GT V8. Factory stock. I didn't see very many of them, when I did they were a blur blowing by me on the highway between Glasgow and Gourock, a superhighway I traveled often. My MGBs both had the four cylinder, five speed OD, fun yes but no tire fryers...
    I haven't followed any MG stuff in many years, when I got back to the States I went more into drag racing, hot rodding, and circle track. Kind of left the four cylinder stuff behind until I decided to enter the Compact Class fray with an Opel GT of all things...
    So I don't know what the long term lifespan of the MGB GT V8 was, if there are any around anymore, if they are valued and treasured, or what.
    My machinist friend at Hilde Construction years ago in Great Falls used a 215 in his autocross car, an MGB with the windshield and posts removed, when you walk up to the car the whole thing incuding the rollbar came up to just above my belly button! His engine used a homemade billet crank, aluminum rods, was bored and sleeved, displacement was 304. It screamed.
    It is my understanding that the latest Rover V8s are the good old 215 basically, with all forty years of improvements and modern tech added.
    This would truly be an awesome engine for any little car you want to make a rocket out of. Oh sure, it would be some work to do it and get it right, certainly not a challenge I'd be afraid of, here comes an argument that only a pro could pull it off... There would be some fab work involved. There is no kit in JC Whitney for under twenty dollars. Some structural mods may be needed to the Opel GT unibody, but, hey, let's face it, most of them are rustbuckets now anyway, they need structural help just to hold together with the 1.1 engine, right? I could be wrong, maybe not most of them, but lots of them, certainly any of them that have been "thrown away" or passed on as junk. These are the cars to hack up and play with!
    Wanna get really crazy? Use the new Chev LS series engine. All aluminum, all 400 plus horsepower. You can pick up the phone and order one from many distributors. See what Hot Rod Mag did with one recently. Put it in a Solstice. Yes, again, a major fab job, but all the hardware needed was listed in the article by GM part number.
    Last edited by jeff denton; 04-01-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Über OpelGT.com Moderator My location kwilford will become famous soon enough kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan View Post
    You are comparing apples to oranges, most MGB V-8 conversions are done on the convertibles and not the MGB GT because the convertible has a beefed up unibody that allows the car to supports itself and also enough to handle the additional hp and torque that the V-8 puts out (within reason.) Many people think the reason for this is merely because the B-GT isn't as popular, but there is more of a reason.
    The MGB-GT V8 conversion is probably more common that the convertible. At least it is here in Calgary, as we have a shop that specializes in Rover V8 MGB conversions,
    Home
    When they brought their customer cars to our VSCCC show, three of the five conversions were the coupes. Malcolm converts both, but the B-GT is far stiffer than the convertible, so handles the power better.
    Also, it is pretty hard to pop the windshield in an MGB due to body twist as the windshield just sits in a frame attached to the body, rather than being part of it.
    The biggest problem IMHO with installing ANY V-engine in a GT is the width of the engine bay. As Ron can attest, it requires pretty radical surgery and clever re-structuring of the foot-well to make the darn things fit. And in his case, it was a 60 degree V-6, not the wider 90 degree in the SBC V8
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kwilford; 04-01-2007 at 01:13 PM.
    Keith Wilford
    If I could only find the time to work on my '71 Opel GT...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a convertible that was at carlisle a couple years ago that I took a picture of. I am not quite sure of the engine size but the fellow says that it does have a stiffened unibody to help handle the power. http://www.opelgt.com/photos/showpho...0/ppuser/13272
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh i do realize how much work would be involved...and can understand the hell that Ron went through stuffing the V6 in his GT, and that a subframe and roll bar set-up would really enhance the install, but ruined handling and popped out windshields...i'm not buying in to. No disrespect to the GT purist...the GT is a neat little car just the way it was built, but if a fella wants to modify it...why not. Like any conversion, whether it be a Vega, Pinto or MGB ot Opel, if you take it beyond it's limit..you will break it. Someday my GT will recieve a V6 or V8, and the more that this surgery is documented (thanks Namba) the easier it will be for others (me)

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh Yes you Are ....

Quote Originally Posted by rowdygt View Post
    ruined handling and popped out windshields...i'm not buying in to.

. Someday my GT will recieve a V6 or V8, and the more that this surgery is documented (thanks Namba) the easier it will be for others (me)
    I have both a Rover 4.4L alloy V8 and a Lexus 4.0L alloy V8 sitting here beside my GTs - Rationality struck home as I was having the body work done and I realised how thin the sheet metal in a GT body is and how light the running gear. They were built as light as possible to 'enhance' performance with their small motors with very little margin of strength.

When carefully examined, the GT body is a technical marvel - other than the doors, hood and light buckets it is welded into ONE piece. The first production car to be TIG welded together.

Mine was parked beside a Ferarri in the body shop and the vast difference in quality of build was self-evident - the Ferarri was a hodge-podge of over-lapping lumps of sheet metal just spot-welded together ...

Good luck with fitting a V8 - just don't ruin another GT. Try finding a finished conversion ... and drive it around some twisties with a 4-cylinder GT for comparison.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information