70 opel kadett fastback
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 70 opel kadett fastback

Opeler opel fastback is on a distinguished road opel fastback's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

70 opel kadett fastback

i have a 70 opel kadette ls fastback. i just pulled the 1.1 as it was melted beyond belief. im looking to put in a 2.8 v6 out of a s-10 with the 5 speed. is this feasible? im new to this but i would like to put an engine that is reliable and cheap parts wise. is this engine swap a good idea? or am i barking up the wrong tree? thanks chris:banghead:
    Last edited by tekenaar; 11-24-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: title: kadette; feasable

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Intern My location Redskinsjbs is on a distinguished road Redskinsjbs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jay
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say try to find a smaller engine. The kadett is not a very large car, so if you are going to be putting in a larger engine, it will require extensive modification to the body/frame. If I were you, I'd try to find a 1.9l opel engine. This would fit nicely, be reliable with a Weber and Pertronix, and would require no modifications (minor ones, if that) to the body of the car. Plus, it would be an opel engine in an Opel car, which is always nice.

If you are looking for more power, the 1.9 will give you more, but many have used larger blocks or bored out the 1.9 block (It can bored out a HUGE amount and still be safe) and given them longer strokes. This, combined with a 5 speed transmission should be just about everything you could ask for in such a small car without converting it into a race car.
    Last edited by tekenaar; 11-24-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: puuting; modifictions
    J Swift Sincerely

Flickr photos

Videos

"Friend with Benefits" My location heimue is on a distinguished road heimue's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskinsjbs View Post
    If I were you, I'd try to find a 1.9l opel engine. This would fit nicely, be reliable with a Weber and Pertronix, and would require no modifictions (minor ones if that) to the body of the car.
    I wouldn't say this out loud. You need to modify:

- the front mask needs to accomodate the radiator, which is about 8" further forward as in the 1.1. You need a donor front mask to do it, and extensive welding is needed. Or gutting out your existing front mask, with even more cutting & welding...
    - switch out the complete front axle from a 1.9, including the larger brakes
    - while doing this, don't forget to put in the master brake cylinder with booster from the 1.9
    - use the gear box and drive shaft from a 1.9
    - use the rear axle from a 1.9

In short, forget about it. It's not worth the trouble . It's way cheaper to buy a finished 1.9, which has more HP, but is heavier too.
    As for the original question of Chris, you can drop in whatever you want, but be prepared to
    - spend half of your life doing it
    - spend half of your life's earnings doing it.

I would really like to see a Kadett with V6, since I LOVE Kadetts; but if you start, prepare for a long road ahead of you!

My recommendation: stay with a tuned 1.1, put a nice Weber on it, and enjoy your Kadett as it is. It's a lot of fun w/out modifications. And dirt cheap & absolutely reliable!

BTW, you own an Opel "Kadett", not a "kadette".

Enjoy,

Dieter
    Last edited by tekenaar; 11-24-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: half your live; some nice Webers

5,000 Post Club My location namba209 (R.I.P.) is on a distinguished road namba209 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Chris, Dieter has it right. To put in a larger engine, Opel or otherwise, you're gonna have to do some mods, as he stated. To give you and idea of what it will take to dorp in a 60 degree GM V-6 in an Opel check out the link at the bottom of this post. This little project took me 7 years in conjuction with a complete restoration, and I'm still paying off the credit card I started the project with.

Performance Articles - Opel Forums
    Ron
    72 GT 3.4L V-6/T-5/ZF posi - almost done - Just need AC installed.
    75 Chevy monza 5.7L/TH350/Auburn 3.08 posi - Next

Have Opel, Will Travel oldopelguy is on a distinguished road oldopelguy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The s-10 2.8 is going to be a hard fit in any Kadett mostly because of the starter and front crossmember. With the transverse leaf spring you can't modify the crossmember, and the starter is so long front to back there's no where for it to go unless you cut and patch the firewall so you can move the engine and trans back about 6".

If you have a FWD 2.8, though (or one of the dual-drilled 3.4 replacement motors) where the starter is on the driver's side, you might be able to use a late model Malibu gear reduction starter and make it all fit. I'll try and test fit one for you next week and get you some pictures, as I have a Kadett with no engine in it already on it's way this weekend.
    1958 Rekord Sedan, 1958 Olympia Wagon, 1959 Opel Olympia Sedan, 1967 Kadett Coupe, 1967 Admiral Sedan 4L CIH-6, 1968 Kadett fastback 1.1L, 1970 Kadett Wagon Turbo 2.2L, 1971 Kadett Sedan 1.1L, 1975 Manta Wagon 4.3L V-6

Opeler opel fastback is on a distinguished road opel fastback's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i appreciate everyones input on this. i have a parts car with a good 1.1 and the dual carbs but i wasn't sure if it was going to be durable enough as it seems i can hardly find parts for it. i have access to a 1.9 but id rather not rip it out of the car because it has an actual 274 miles on it. it had an accident brand new and was left in the garage. the old guy is still hesitant to part with it. its an automatic to. does a modern 2.4 dohc from a front driver gm bolt onto the opel transmission? thanks chris
    Last edited by tekenaar; 11-25-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: apreciate

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter My location tekenaar will become famous soon enough tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by opel fastback View Post
    i apreciate everyones input on this. i have a parts car with a good 1.1 and the dual carbs but i wasn't sure if it was going to be durable enough as it seems i can hardly find parts for it. i have access to a 1.9 but id rather not rip it out of the car because it has an actual 274 miles on it. it had an accident brand new and was left in the garage. the old guy is still hesitant to part with it. its an automatic to. thanks chris
    Yes, absolutely!! . . .
    does a modern 2.4 dohc from a front driver gm bolt onto the opel transmission?
    nope!
    Last edited by tekenaar; 11-25-2008 at 06:36 PM.

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

A little beauty!

... i wasn't sure if it was going to be durable enough as it seems i can hardly find parts for it. .. thanks chris
    Chris - have a look here:

Opel OHV engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tiny OHV motor is a really good motor and many parts are still available for it as it was used right through to 1993.

It is light, gives good power and is economical.

The 'rules' changed with the financial crisis - you may regret giving up the cost effectivness of the smaller motor!
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Opeler pw8penguins is on a distinguished road pw8penguins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel Kadett Fastback

Just like people to know. I just traded Chris for the Opel in the Forum..
    Last edited by tekenaar; 01-15-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: . . . Opel in the Form.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information