The Critter - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Critter

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the factory did it! Great job!

Doug

I don't want to dupe it, but I would like to see the file as I have always wondered what one looked like!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Looks like the factory did it! Great job!

Doug

I don't want to dupe it, but I would like to see the file as I have always wondered what one looked like!
    It won't let me upload an STL file, but you can view it online here, and copy it if you make an account:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57...c107acf65d7d4a
    Jon - '73 Opel GT (in work)

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting! How long did it take you to "build" the part/file? In the mid-late '90's, I convinced my company, Rockwell at that time, to purchase an early version of a "3D printer" (called a Stereo Lithography Apparatus in those days). The manager of aerodynamics was trying to purchase a small (24" x 42" throat) wind tunnel at the same time and we "leveraged" each others purchase to justify our own. Each purchase was about $1/4 million (in 1996 dollars). I got mine delivered and installed first and made a sample part to show capabilities (and hopefully drum up some business). The other department directors were not impressed and tried to force it to be returned because "they" had other budget concerns and didn't see any value to making "toys". By then, the wind tunnel was installed and running with a model we had made in less than 2 days. There was a basic design fault which we found and diagnosed in about 2 hours, made a design correction and built a new model overnight. The new model showed the design fix worked and we completed the testing (showing that both "toys" were working). When I was asked to "justify" the SLA, I asked the aero manager to briefly explain his first test, which he did. When I asked him to estimate the $$$ savings from the early test and quick fix (compared to larger scale tests and model turnaround times), he said $200,000 would be conservative and would be much more if he stopped all the employees of the other departments from working until the new models and tests had been completed as there was "no reason to build a Finite Element Model of the wrong airplane, etc". I paraphrased his answer by "asking" if it was fair to say that we had saved 1/2 the total cost of both "toys" on our FIRST aircraft/test sequence? He agreed and I asked if there were any other questions. When the directors had nothing to say, the VP of Engineering asked if I could see him when the current meeting was over and went on with the next agenda item. When I returned to the VP's office, he told me that his broker had recommended buying stock in the SLA company and asked if I had any. I told him I did not because it could be thought there was a "Conflict of Interest". He wasn't sure about that part, but I said it was safer to not buy the stock and be sure rather than to have an "apparent" problem.

While we were waiting for the delivery of the machine, my designers, programmers, and the aero guys had all worked together to write and test an interface between the in-house software we used for design and the SLA software used to build the part. I never saw any of the software (or output), but used both extensively. FYI, our machine was capable of building inside a 1 foot cube and we built the parts standing on end as that provided the highest resolution.

Thanks, and again "Nice Job!" -- Doug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information