rusEfi - open source ECU
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: rusEfi - open source ECU

Downloads
    Uploads

LightbulbrusEfi - open source ECU

I know there is some interest towards aftermarket engine control units here so wanted to present mine.

I am playing with this for over three years now, back in 2014 it looks like this

but since then some progress was made and now it looks more like this

that's using a connector and case shared by mazda and toyota back in the 90s

This ECU is pretty drive able now - couple of lemons races and getting closed to 10000 road miles

This May I will race this Opel

and hopefully later that would be rusEfi vehicle #35
    http://rusefi.com/ - one of true open source ECUs

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dang and I had to use this non-open thing.

markandson likes this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like you need a driver that has more confidence in their ability to shift gears.
    P.J. Romano likes this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Paul Gerstenberger
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    Dang and I had to use this non-open thing.

Are you running injection on an Opel with the EEC-IV or just spark? I just got into Ford stuff this last year with my Volvo 5.0 swap. I have a whole EEC-IV setup in a box, I ran my '98 on EEC-V from the donor Explorer.
    1971 Opel Kadett Wagon - TBI EFI with MS2, Prepping for LeMons Rally - Summer 2017
    1972 Opel GT - parts car
    1998 Volvo V90 with Ford 5.0 V8 Swap
    2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Red0ktober View Post
    I have a whole EEC-IV setup in a box, I ran my '98 on EEC-V from the donor Explorer.
    OMG, this box?

Real Name
    Paul Gerstenberger
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by andrey2 View Post
    I know there is some interest towards aftermarket engine control units here so wanted to present mine.
    I'm not opposed to running your ECU, I just already have Megasquirt. I think if you want to offer something to Opel guys, the easiest way to make it happen would be what I laid out in the other thread.

Have a procedure or product to lock out the distributor mechanical advance and run a pertronix ignitor as a VR input to your ECU.

Have an onboard high current coil driver to fire the coil directly.

Your injector drivers would need peak and hold or PWM to run low-z injectors used in GM TBI, GM TBI being the easiest and most common junkyard package to retrofit.

I really prefer underhood packaging for ECU, like the Microsquirt. Simpler wiring, smaller holes drilled.
    1971 Opel Kadett Wagon - TBI EFI with MS2, Prepping for LeMons Rally - Summer 2017
    1972 Opel GT - parts car

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you running injection on an Opel with the EEC-IV or just spark? I just got into Ford stuff this last year with my Volvo 5.0 swap. I have a whole EEC-IV setup in a box, I ran my '98 on EEC-V from the donor Explorer.
    I started with a megajolt controller for spark.I was running downdrafts at the time.
    Then added the EEC-IV to handle the fuel injection side.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Paul are you using any software tools?
    Like SCT,Quarterhorse....

Real Name
    Paul Gerstenberger
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Paul are you using any software tools?
    Like SCT,Quarterhorse....
    I have a Quarterhorse and I'm using EEC Editor. I'm undecided which direction I want to go. My Explorer ECU isn't the best supported, but it's the only OEM calibration for a 5.0 with EEC-V/OBD2. I need to pay some substantial money to get it dialed in. Either I need to get a custom SCT tune from a dyno shop (that's their recomendation), or get on a better supported ECU/strategy. I'm thinking of having a newer 4.6L ECU re-tuned for the 5.0. The SCT tune might be the way to go, but it's a pretty closed system. Though if it's done well, I shouldn't need to get in there and tweak things on my own.

I have a 4R70W electronic transmission, also controlled by the EEC.
    1972 Opel GT - parts car

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

WARNING! Thread sidejack

The more people talk about this stuff, the more it becomes confusing.

Juan said he was making a programmable distributor. I was all ears. I never got answers as to what we need or what all went into a package.
    Then there was the teaser about fuel control. I've been reading and not understanding much about all the acronyms and abbreviations.

I'm not a dumb guy.

So now there's more talk about this and that and acronym this and abbreviation that. And then Wrench comes in and NEVER makes any sense or helps out and people are talking to him like he has anything helpful to add.

This is me confused.

Look, I would like to BUY, for less than an inheritance, a system to run my coil and a system to run my EFI. Or both combined, or whatever. I need one that you can program with a GUI (graphic User Interface) so even a guy like me can add and subtract event attributes. Ideally, I'd like this to be on the fly but I'm OK with pulling over to the curb to make a change.

And I'd also like my parts back that I lent to help build the system that's no longer being pursued/offered/engineered/whatever.

I don't ask for much.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would it help just a bit to

a) not discuss Ford EEC-IV HOWTO within this thread?
    b) not discuss systems no longer being pursued/offered/engineered/whatever within this thread?

Just an idea

As for the general sense of confusion, I do not have a plug-and-play setup for Opel GT

Unfortunately rusEfi is only a universal ECU so whoever (if anyone) would ever want to try on an Opel gt, that would be a steep learning curve.
    Last edited by andrey2; 03-01-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Real Name
    Paul Gerstenberger
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    That we are talking about with EEC, etc - is Ford's system. Reverse engineering an OEM's system is the least expensive way to get into EFI because it's all inexpensive junkyard stuff, but it was not designed for the end user to muck about in, and it's VERY confusing.

Megasquirt is not the cheapest, but it WAS designed for the end user to fiddle with and reconfigure, nice GUI, auto-tuning, etc. The more to pay, the more R&D has gone into making it easier (FiTech, Holley, Haltech, FAST, and so on). An OEM system can be made easier to work with, but you're going to be paying for some more advanced software. Again, the R&D a person or company has put into making the black magic of fuel injection easy.

Keep an eye on my Kadett thread, I'm doing EFI on it with Megasquirt in a simple but effective manner. I've run a GM V6 with TBI on Megasquirt, so it's not completely new to me.
    1972 Opel GT - parts car

Real Name
    Paul Gerstenberger
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As for the general sense of confusion, I do not have a plug-and-play setup for Opel GT

Unfortunately rusEfi is only a universal ECU so whoever (if anyone) would ever want to try on an Opel gt, that would be a steep learning curve.
    The steep learning curve is unfortunately the deal killer for most. The quantity of people who cross-over between gearhead and open-source developer are few.
    1972 Opel GT - parts car

Downloads
    Uploads
    The steep learning curve is unfortunately the deal killer for most. The quantity of people who cross-over between gearhead and open-source developer are few.
    Obviously you do not need to be a software developer to use rusEfi - obviously no users write code, users are just using online tuning software (actually same as MegaSquirt - rusEfi and speeduino both are integrated with TunerStudio)

but it's also obvious that having 1000? 10000? 100000? MegaSquirt installations on this planet helps them a lot so that's where we are trying to get more features for less $$$ because more modern processor allows that.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That we are talking about with EEC, etc - is Ford's system. Reverse engineering an OEM's system is the least expensive way to get into EFI because it's all inexpensive junkyard stuff, but it was not designed for the end user to muck about in, and it's VERY confusing.

No it's not all that confusing

I am having fun with my Opel thats using a EEC-IV PCM.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads

but it's also obvious that having 1000? 10000? 100000? MegaSquirt installations on this planet helps them a lot so that's where we are trying to get more features for less $$$ because more modern processor allows that.
    So a fast processor will allow better fuel control?
    Or are you going to add anti-lock into the system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So a fast processor will allow better fuel control?
    Yes and no.

Very little CPU speed is needed to control fuel - but the more speed, memory and input-output pins you have more features you can have and more user-friendly you can be. Emphasis in user-friendly - I am trying to make the device more usable, with same good fuel control.

Our unit has knock decoder on board - I believe no MS device has knock detection? I could be wrong. Only most expensive MS units have SD card logging - ours has SD logging and an LCD for human-readable diagnostics in the field without a laptop.

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ms2 onwards supports knock cotrol
    i think its with an add on board.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post

Juan said he was making a programmable distributor. I was all ears. I never got answers as to what we need or what all went into a package.
    Then there was the teaser about fuel control. I've been reading and not understanding much about all the acronyms and abbreviations.

I'm not a dumb guy.

So now there's more talk about this and that and acronym this and abbreviation that. And then Wrench comes in and NEVER makes any sense or helps out and people are talking to him like he has anything helpful to add.

This is me confused.

Look, I would like to BUY, for less than an inheritance, a system to run my coil and a system to run my EFI. Or both combined, or whatever. I need one that you can program with a GUI (graphic User Interface) so even a guy like me can add and subtract event attributes. Ideally, I'd like this to be on the fly but I'm OK with pulling over to the curb to make a change.

And I'd also like my parts back that I lent to help build the system that's no longer being pursued/offered/engineered/whatever.

I don't ask for much.
    Just abandon all of this stuff and instead of trying to reinvent the wheel go with MegaSquirt which is a proven system that will do whatever you want it to do with whatever engine you have. JMTCW
    nickincrete and Red0ktober like this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

3000 Post Club blancojp (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    Just abandon all of this stuff and instead of trying to reinvent the wheel go with MegaSquirt which is a proven system that will do whatever you want it to do with whatever engine you have. JMTCW
    Let's do this, I believe it will work out better for everyone and James will not be on my case anymore.

Send an email to support@EDCATL.COM with a list of the parts you sent in, I will return the parts to you and life continues.

When the device is finished and properly tested then you can determine if you want one or not.
    kwschumm likes this.
    www.edcatl.com
    Home of the S-ECU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information