removing a locked gas cap without a key
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GTJIM

Thread: removing a locked gas cap without a key

Member My location matl59
    Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads

removing a locked gas cap without a key

So I realized a simple trick to removing a locked gas cap from the filler neck without a key this morning. Thought I'd post it because I've heard people ask before but I've never come across this in any post...I couldn't actually find any of those posts when I did a quick search though. (mods feel free to move this post to one of them if you can find one and feel compelled)

A little background, I've had some trouble with water getting in my gas cap and freezing. Up until today it seamed to always happen to the lock mechanism itself not allowing the key to go all the way in and up until now this phenomenon only happened after I unlocked it.

Well, this morning when I went to remove it the lock mechanism was already frozen and I wasn't able to put the key all the way in. I quickly realized that the whole cap was frozen this time. I just turned it right off the filler neck like it was unlocked. Put it right back on when I was done with no problem. Checked it again a little later that day to make sure I wasn't crazy and had actually left it unlocked. Sure enough, it spun freely.

So, long story short if you find yourself with a gas cap stuck on a filler neck without a key, drench the cap, freeze it, and spin it off like its unlocked

Guess my locked cap isn't as secure as I thought.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Member My location West Coast GT is on a distinguished road West Coast GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a good tip. Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hard to fit a Gt in my frezer

For us San Diegians that would be a neat trick

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What I did to stop my cap from freezing and being unable to get the key in all the way was to remove it and spray carb/brake cleaner into the cylinder while holding it upside down. You hopely flush all moisture and any grit that might be in it out. I let it drain and dry for some time and then added a lube designed for key cylinders. I didn't have that problem again until my significant other forgot to close the cover a few days later and it got rained on and I had to go through the process again. Gotta love 'em.

Harold

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder is on a distinguished road jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OpelJim View Post
    For us San Diegians that would be a neat trick

Liquid Nitrogen or Dry Ice may work for you guys
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Member My location matl59
    Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't had a chance to let it dry thoroughly. I've sprayed some WD-40 into it a couple times but still freezes up went its really cold... its only a minor annoyance. The door locks are even more fun on really cold days.

What I really need is a garage to park in at night...

Opeler My location David12345 is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Explain..

Could someone explain why freezing the cap would allow it to be removed without a key .. I don't see the picture.

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if the whole unit, especially the inside were frozen, it would become one solid unit, and able to turn. Like if your door handle freezes and you can't get the key in or if you do, it won't turn, or you can't press the button to open the door
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love Opel ...

The gas cap on a GT is actually 'unlocked' when it spins freely - and the two parts 'locked' together so it can be taken off.

Thus - when the two bits are frozen together ... the cap can be taken off!

BTW - some water dribbled down the key-hole and a blast (or two!) from a CO2 fire extinguisher should do the job.

Oh! .. and use a thick glove when removing the frozen cap - or you will stick to it.

HTH
    Steam likes this.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder is on a distinguished road jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJIM View Post
    Oh! .. and use a thick glove when removing the frozen cap - or you will stick to it.

HTH
    Like a tongue to a cold flagpole
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Opeler teppy is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try drilling a hole on an angle from the cap center where it is in the filler neck. Then insert a nail into same hole allowing you to remove the cap. If it still doesn't work, try this one: Removing a fuel tank cap.

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder is on a distinguished road opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does not apply

Teppy,
    your above post would not apply to a GT gas cap. If you drill it, you destroyed it. I don't like putting nails into anything other than wood. Your link is concerning new gas caps. The GT has a large chrome locking gas cap.
    And they can be a pain sometimes when they are in the locked position getting off. Please though, do not use a drill!!!!! You may be able to snake out the filler neck on certain year models. Some have a guard that prevents this
    Keith
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Karl Senula
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For the San Diegoans, take the neck off and put it in the freezer

Karl

Opeler Steam is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Locking gas cap getting key hole frozen up.

Quote Originally Posted by matl59 View Post
    I haven't had a chance to let it dry thoroughly. I've sprayed some WD-40 into it a couple times but still freezes up went its really cold... its only a minor annoyance. The door locks are even more fun on really cold days.

What I really need is a garage to park in at night...
    Actually, as with all locks, you should be using a dry lubricant. If that doesn't work, you should try a white lithium grease spray directly in the lock. It's what I've used on a starter that stuck and it loosened it up and it doesn't freeze.
    One other 'northern states, no-brainer' used for frozen locks... hold a lighter on key to get hot before inserting. It will melt the small amount of ice. (Don't leave the key in the key hole to refreeze though!) It usually works in a pinch. Good luck!

If you have just lost your key to your locking gas cap... Take a old flat head screw driver (don't want to mess a good one) and tap it into the key hole slowly with a hammer. They are built cheaply to keep out the usual 'honest people'. Once you get it into the key hole keep checking to see if you can turn it or not. Eventually, you will get it in just far enough to break all the plastic tabs and be able to turn the cap & remove it. Don't go at it like a 'cave man' with that hammer. You don't want to punch it all the way through and put that crap into your tank/gas filter, etc.. and cause a bigger problem. Then get a new cap and leave a key in your ash tray so it's always with the vehicle for anyone that may drive it & want to put gas in it for you!
    Why post in this color? Cus I'm a woman!
    Last edited by Steam; 05-10-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to say how to remove one that has lost key!!

Über OpelGT.com Moderator My location kwilford will become famous soon enough kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    If you have just lost your key to your locking gas cap...Take a old flat head screw driver (don't want to mess a good one) and tap it into the key hole slowly with a hammer. They are built cheaply to keep out the usual 'honest people'. Once you get it into the key hole keep checking to see if you can turn it or not. Eventually, you will get it in just far enough to break all the plastic tabs and be able to turn the cap & remove it. Don't go at it like a 'cave man' with that hammer. You don't want to punch it all the way through and put that crap into your tank/gas filter, etc.. and cause a bigger problem. Then get a new cap and leave a key in your ash tray so it's always with the vehicle for anyone that may drive it & want to put gas in it for you!
    Um, sorry "Steam", but I am pretty sure that this won't work for an Opel GT locking gas cap. No plastic tabs (they are brass), and the "locking" principle is different for the GT locking cap than just about every other locking cap. The GT cap spins freely when it is "locked".

Out of curiosity, do you have an Opel?
    Keith Wilford
    If I could only find the time to work on my '71 Opel GT...

Senior Member My location zippy7575 is on a distinguished road zippy7575's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cameron Earnshaw
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by teppy View Post
    Try drilling a hole on an angle from the cap center where it is in the filler neck. Then insert a nail into same hole allowing you to remove the cap. If it still doesn't work, try this one: Removing a fuel tank cap.
    I had to do the nail in the hole trick years ago when I temporarily lost the key. It worked, and the hole is still there in case I ever need to do it again.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Weber 32/36 (so long Solex!), Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information