Fuel Filter Full?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter Full?

Destiny is to Fly My location ronskydivepops is on a distinguished road ronskydivepops's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Fuel Filter Full?

Here's another question that's been bugging me! Maybe one of you can help. Should my see thru fuel filter be full, half full, or near empty when the engine is idling? Mine seems to have a mind of it's own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club My location spdkilz02 spdkilz02's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    on my gt when it is running it seems to be almost full...there is a little air bubble on the top side of the filter...
    Adam

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please!

Someone must know the answer to this - I have even filled mine with fuel before installing it and it half empties itself again. The motor does not seem to be starving for fuel though ......
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Senior Contributor My location asdasc is on a distinguished road asdasc's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it really depends on the orientation. Mine is pretty much full of gas always, and stands up on end with inlet at the bottom and exit on the top.

I think if you lay it sideways, it will never fill completely as the air can't get out.

How are your positioned?
    Steve
    "ever notice you are never done tinkering with the GT?"
    Never mind, I am WAAAY beyond tinkering now...

1000 Post Club My location spdkilz02 spdkilz02's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    so which really would be the best way to have it..or doesnt it really matter?
    Adam

No....its not a Buick.... My location yellaopelgt is on a distinguished road yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    mine is of the clear glass type and stands on end. It is always full and have not had any issues with it as of yet.

Destiny is to Fly My location ronskydivepops is on a distinguished road ronskydivepops's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Fuel filter

As usual the simple solution is unattainable with the GT. My sons always tease me about tinkering with an old bucket of bolts like my GT. They tell me I should buy a real sportscar like a corvette. My response-who do you think designed the corvette, after he designed the GT?? Then I pop the hood on whatever new, modern car they may be driving and ask them to find the oil dipstick within 30 seconds.
    I think I may need to do some more research. I probably have a fuel pressure problem or an intake leak still. I thought I had solved the intake leak with two gaskets at the intake/exhaust manifold, and replacing the carb hold down studs. More tinkering with my bucket of antigue bolts, while my sons search for the dipstick-which I removed when they weren't looking!!!
    Maybe I should buy a corvette-so I could dream about tinkering with a real sportscar-MY GT Stands for Get Tinkering!!

Member My location Wolf Spyder is on a distinguished road Wolf Spyder's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In installed a see-through filter and it sits at a 45 degree angle. While running it is almost full, when stopped it goes down to about 1/2.

Senior Contributor My location asdasc is on a distinguished road asdasc's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think that if the float on your carb makes a good seal when raised, that no air could get back in the line, and the filter would be the same running as not running. The only way that the level should drop would be if air is getting into the line somewhere between the filter and the carb bowl.

Double check the hose clamps and connections between the two points as well as the little rubber tip on the fuel float mechanism.
    Steve
    "ever notice you are never done tinkering with the GT?"
    Never mind, I am WAAAY beyond tinkering now...

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Fuel filter

I just rebuilt the Weber and all the fuel lines are new and tight. I do notice a slow sequence of air bubbles coming from the carb end of the filter after I shut off the engine. OGTS states that "if the "bowl" of this filter looks less than half full, you will instantly know to check for a vacuum or fuel system problem." I put a new fuel pump in a few years back. I haven't driven the car really-about 21 miles around the block. I wonder if I should think of an electric fuel pump? I've heard it mentioned before, so it's back to more Get Tinkering!!

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter My location tekenaar will become famous soon enough tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fuel filters . . .

OK, read all the previous posts, so here's my thoughts . . .

As some have noted, fuel filter orientation is the ONLY thing that affects the 'apparent' fuel level in the filter. Here's what I've observed since the '50s on carbed engine fuel feed, regardless of fuel pump type used . . . electrical or mechanical.

Filter mounted vertically, fuel entering at bottom and out the top, is the only way it will remain totally 'filled' . . . WHILE RUNNING! Once engine is stopped, all bets are off!

Filter mounted at any angle will initially completely fill when engine is first started and then gradually 'drain' to the point of fuel level remaining up to the top of filter exit nipple. Cannot give you any reason why, just that it does.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to note is that it makes NO DIFFERENCE in engine operation . . . pump is not defective nor is carb's needle/seat inlet valve. With carbs you're looking at ~3.5 psi fuel pressure so it's typically not hose clamps either.

Have to think a little 'outside the box' on this one, guys . . . according to my experience anyway.
    Last edited by tekenaar; 11-28-2005 at 12:44 PM.

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

baz
    boomerang opeler My location baz is on a distinguished road baz's Avatar
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    fit a black one so you cant see the fuel and forget it is my take on it
    just change it each time you do the oil
    Copyright 2003-2012 barry williams
    All Rights Reserved

B.O.O.B. founding member

1000 Post Club My location poor gt is on a distinguished road poor gt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads

Air in Filter

Been noticing that my clear glass fuel filter is not keeping full, not even half full, you can see the gas bubbling, even at idle, I show 3.5 + psi. at idle, but will drop below 3, almost 2 when revved. The car starts & runs great up to about 4500 RPM then sputters. I installed a new fuel pump, (the old one crapped out) . So from what everyone is saying, and my gut, I'm sucking air from somewhere between the pump & tank ???? I guess it's time for the new line,& fitting I have , Any other suggestions ????? Please, Carlisle is too far of a drive for this to screw up on me.
    Last edited by tekenaar; 05-14-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: even at idol? reved, craped

Opeler bello is on a distinguished road bello's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ernie Bello
    Downloads
    Uploads

Air in Fuel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    Been noticing that my clear glass fuel filter is not keeping full, not even half full, you can see the gas bubbling, even at idol, I show 3.5 + psi. at idle, but will drop below 3, almost 2 when reved. The car starts & runs great up to about 4500 rpm's then sputters. I installed a new fuel pump, ( the old one craped out) . So from what everyone is saying, and my gut, I'm sucking air from somewhere between the pump & tank ???? I guess it's time for the new line,& fitting I have , Any other suggestions ????? Please, Carlisle is too far of a drive for this to screw up on me.
    Hi- Don't worry about it- you cannot cure it- not that it needs curing- the fuel will "wick" up & thru the filter element and get in the carburetor- and leave some air space unoccupied by the fuel... if you have sputtering @ 4500rpms- you probably have another problem- I would look at the points gap (better yet, set dwell to 48 degrees) spark plug & ignition wire condition, and lastly, carburetor function. In the order I mentioned. I am assuming the new fuel pump is working properly... Also, if you have an unmolested Solex carb, jetting is usually on the lean side... If an unmolested Weber 32/36, the float valve size tends to be too small- it is very easy to run low fuel level in the bowl... you may have to address either of those problems. Pray Tell us how you make out with this. PS: Any valve ticking noises? Ernie Bello

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads

air in filter

The filter is only about 1/4 full, It has the xr3000, new carb, no valve ticking, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, . From all I have read, it should be at least 3/4 full, it's mounted vertical. Mine is very turbulent & low, When I rev it, the fuel pressure drops to 2 almost, and that's just revving it, at a sustained speed might even go lower, then not enough pressure, = no fuel. P.S., I will double check the 2 flex rubber hoses 1 from the filter to the stock line, & 1 from filter to fuel pump,
    Last edited by poor gt; 05-14-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Uber Genius My location First opel 1981 will become famous soon enough First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    fuel sock in gas tank clogged?
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶

1000 Post Club GeorgeOpel is on a distinguished road GeorgeOpel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Been noticing that my clear glass fuel filter is not keeping full, not even half full, you can see the gas bubbling, even at idol, I show 3.5 + psi. at idle, but will drop below 3, almost 2 when reved. The car starts & runs great up to about 4500 rpm's then sputters. I installed a new fuel pump, ( the old one craped out) . So from what everyone is saying, and my gut, I'm sucking air from somewhere between the pump & tank ???? I guess it's time for the new line,& fitting I have , Any other suggestions ????? Please, Carlisle is too far of a drive for this to screw up on me.
    Where can I.find a see through] filter for my.73GT ( 2 outlets)
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 05-14-2014 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Fixed Quotation for the umpteenth time.

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr will become famous soon enough hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOpel View Post
    Where can I.find a see through] filter for my.73GT ( 2 outlets)
    Buy a single inlet/outlet filter and install it between the pump and OE filter location.

Harold

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I hope not, but I will check closer, the fuel filter before the fuel pump stays full.

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter My location tekenaar will become famous soon enough tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb In order . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tekenaar View Post
    OK, read all the previous posts, so here's my thoughts . . .

As some have noted, fuel filter orientation is the ONLY thing that affects the 'apparent' fuel level in the filter. Here's what I've observed since the '50s on carbed engine fuel feed, regardless of fuel pump type used . . . electrical or mechanical.

Filter mounted vertically, fuel entering at bottom and out the top, is the only way it will remain totally 'filled' . . . WHILE RUNNING! Once engine is stopped, all bets are off!

Filter mounted at any angle will initially completely fill when engine is first started and then gradually 'drain' to the point of fuel level remaining up to the top of filter exit nipple. Cannot give you any reason why, just that it does.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to note is that it makes NO DIFFERENCE in engine operation . . . pump is not defective nor is carb's needle/seat inlet valve. With carbs you're looking at ~3.5 psi fuel pressure so it's typically not hose clamps either.

Have to think a little 'outside the box' on this one, guys . . . according to my experience anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I hope not, but I will check closer, the fuel filter before the fuel pump stays full.
    . . . first, read my "fuel filters" post (#11 in this thread) from 11/05 and quoted above in this post. It's not a fuel problem IMO unless the in-tank fuel sock is clogged, but I don't think so! Your "4500RPM limit" problem is most likely caused by a sticking distributor advance. Remove the cap and see if the rotor rotates freely ~20 CW about the distributor shaft. Remove the rotor and oil the small felt pad in the center of the shaft and work it a bit to free it up. HTH

Last edited by tekenaar; 05-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information