Audi TT vs. GT
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Audi TT vs. GT

Downloads
    Uploads

Audi TT vs. GT

Guy I work with is a sports car geek. Has a slightly hopped up TT, up to about 265HP. He offered to let me joy ride it last year. I turned him down at the time but tonight he offered again, I was off.
    I'm not a very experienced performance car guy by any stretch but holy crapoli did that puppy fly!!!
    It was fun, but despite performance at a level not even dreamed of when my GT was new, I had an awesome ride home from work in my GT.
    There's something about the spartan "pure" experience (not that I'd know really) of a classic like my GT.
    Of course some dude trundling around in a MG TD or something surely says the same in regards to my GT!
    To each his own.
    I like the smell of my car (little gassy ) the noise, the valve train, creaks and groans, straining on the wheel at parking speed, rough ride, handling that takes some forethought Some fast foot work keeping the engine idling at the light, clutch, brake/gas/brake/gas....you know the dance.
    The view of my little bubble headlights flipping over and coming to life, the curve of that knife edge fender viewed from the driver's seat (BTW that has to be one of the top 10 most perfect sights in car history, no?), the little analog gauges gently bouncing.
    GT wins.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

'72 Opel GT (Sara) My location newman27's Avatar
    Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A friend of mine has a TT also - it is a fun ride. I like all the same things about the GT - what a great car! Although, I've never actually flipped the headlights on one because the cable on mine was frozen up the day I bought it and I couldn't ever get one pulled from another car to work properly. I ended up buying a reproduction cable from OGTS. The first thing I'm going to do once mine is on the road again is flip those headlights . BTW, my GT was really hard to steer at parking speeds too until I got an alignment done. Night and day difference. Have you had an alignment done since you bought your car? It might help.

Nice post...

Matt
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, Custom CAI, Sprint Manifold,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, 15x8" Wheels and Toyo RA-1 Tires, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Other Cars:
    '09 Pontiac G8 GT (Panther Black) "Jet"
    '06 Pontiac Solstice (Envious Green) "Mina"
    '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS (Black Onyx) "Raven"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only aspect of alignment that would matter with slows speed maneuvering would be the camber, toe in/toe out won't matter too much unless it is way off and caster won't matter really either. The biggest improvement you can do to make steering easier at slow speeds is to fit some very narrow tires and clean and relubricate the steering rack.
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan View Post
    The only aspect of alignment that would matter with slows speed maneuvering would be the camber, toe in/toe out won't matter too much unless it is way off and caster won't matter really either. The biggest improvement you can do to make steering easier at slow speeds is to fit some very narrow tires and clean and relubricate the steering rack.
    I can see toe in/out not making much difference. Caster I would think could make a big difference. When I explain caster to someone I use examples such as the casters on a shopping cart (extreme negative caster) they follow really well, neutral is like the front forks on a trail bike almost straight up and down, easy steering and changes directions easily also (neutral is straight up and down). Chopper style bike (extreme positive caster) only wants to go straight. The GT's are set up with slightly positive caster so they will track straight.

Camber basically is whether the top of the tires lean in or out.

Harold

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, we're moving out of the original disscision but I'll add my .02 worth. My
    camber was extremely messed up on the passenger side, front end alignment on a Bear machine fixed that. Wore out a front set of tires real quick. Check the front end alignment and save yourself some money.

Back on topic now. We, son and I, recently purchased a used 06 350 Z. Don't rag me
    now , but after installing a few small mods, cold air intake, plenum spacer, that sucker will run. 130 in 3rd gear, with 3 more to go. Top end is supposed to be 150. I'm too old to see that again, well maybe not that old, but not on a public road. As far as looks it's ok, the car is basically plastic, too. So in conclusion, I'd still rather have my Gt and my 88 Saab Spg. Both easy to work on, and in a lot of ways, I feel safer with them, steel rather than plastic. Speed on both is acceptable to me and besides, they both are Classics. I love my Gt. Ok off the soapbox and back to the original topic.
    Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Downloads
    Uploads
    My low speed issues are certainly due to wide front wheels, I'm not even sure what they are, 7" or so I'll look sometime. The handeling at speed is fine, quick and "nimble".
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information