Opel GT Forum banner

Opel Museum in Historic Opel Plant

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  esherte 
#1 ·
Wow, Attractive Use for Historic Opel Plant in Rüsselsheim :
1.) Historic vehicles in “Opel Brand and Classic Car World”
2.) New shopping mall, offices and a hotel

Opel and an investment consortium announced the sale of a large part of the historic Opel plant in Rüsselsheim’s city center.

Btw, the oldest part of the plant dates back to 1911.

After construction of the new plant – one of the most advanced car production facilities in the world – on the western side of the city, space in this conveniently situated location became vacant.

The consortium takes over large parts of the plant , as well as a building complex south of the railway tracks. The theme of the automobile is to play a major role in the building project, named “Opel Forum”. Opel will display its extensive automobile collection in the “Opel Brand and Classic Car World” and also rent a considerable amount of office space. The consortium plans to build a shopping mall, hotel, restaurants and leisure facilities. In addition, parts of the complex will house private collections of historic automobiles and motorcycles.

And there will be a market place for classic cars!

Opel has a collection of over 300 "Opel" classic cars !! − the oldest dating from 1899 − including production vehicles, racing cars, design studies, prototypes and motorcycles. The Brand and Classic Car World exhibits will be made up of vehicles from this collection.

Just 3 miles from my home....hope it happens fast :)

See less See more
#4 ·
I really hope they invest in good architect!
If attention to detail is not paid it's gonna become more about the retail and residential spaces and reducing production cost without preserving the history of the building . If done correctly it'll be a great "mecca" for Opel enthusiasts!

#5 ·
Loyal as we are, us Opelers will never need a "great Mecca" short of things getting really unhinged. Luckily though, we can get our work done in any of thousands of motel or hostel meeting rooms around the globe. Good enough for me.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.