a rare book on Opel GT history
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: a rare book on Opel GT history

a rare book on Opel GT history

I have a book on Opel GTs. It´s in German and I´d like to find out if anyone on this list knows anything about the book.

It´s called (in English) "Opel GT" (then in German) "nur fliegen ist schoner" by sw lukas and kj hause.

I found only one listing for it on google.com in someone´s list of Opel GT memorabilia. Amazon.com and other book sites do not mention it. It´s 225 pages long and has a detailed history of the Opel GT.

How does the title translate into English? Do you know any more about the book? How rare is it? Who published it? That sort of thing.

I´d appreciate whatever info you pass along.

Thanks,
    -Daniel W. Fisher

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

It translates, loosely, into English as "Only Flying Is Faster", & I believe it was Opel´s motto for years. Whether or not the motto is based in reality is another story . . . ask someone with a dished-piston 1.9 & see if they agree. :D Maybe it should have been "Only Flying Is Faster, But A 911 Will Kick Your Ass Right Off The Autobahn" . . . but, anyway, it´s a semi-legendary sort of Opel book that´s been semi-available for years. I think if an English translation of the book had been available, it would have sold better . . . a few of the hard-core Opel people in America bought it just to have it, even if they couldn´t read German, & if you found it cheap on Amazon, you SCORED!

thinking of selling the book

Thanks, Mark.

It´s a first-edition book that´s been sitting on my parents shelves for close to two decades now. My brother used to have two Opel GTs but got rid of them in the early 90s. I´ve taken possession of the book and will likely sell it on eBay.

Yeah, the GT was not about going fast, that´s for sure. I remember my high school friend driving his `60s Chevy Impala with a 400+ engine. Ha! The Opel would lag far behind in the straighaways, but I´d catch up quickly in corners.

-dwf

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

We´ll out-handle the muscle car guys every time, I agree.They go fast in a straight line, we turn corners. Each does what they DO. So, the book´s been in your family 20 years? Cool family . . . I collect Opel books, & haven´t added one for a while, Daniel. If you want to sell it outright, & not contribute to the eBay empire--they´ll take a piece, of course--I´ll give you $35 & shipping for it. I think it´s a fair price for a first edition, but counter-offers are always welcome, too. Leave me a message here if you want to talk . . . . . . Mark

Nur Fliegen ist schoner means only flying is finer. That book was available until about 6 years ago, but it went out of print. The owner of PARSGET, Stefan Lukas, was one of the writers. He was my German parts supplier for many years, until he got out of Opels about 4 years ago. I was fortunate to get an autographed copy of the poster shown on the book.

Bob

ebay and the Opel book

Thanks for the offer!

It is a good book. I just looked through it and saw everything from engine diagrams to marketing analysis. Google.com has a great translation feature. You can type in the text from the book and google returns a reasonable interpretation back, enough to understand it.

I´m a regular eBay seller so I´ll be putting the book for sale on eBay Sunday the 24th. You´ll be able to find it using a search for "Opel GT."

Cheers,
    -Daniel

Originally posted by opelmark
    We´ll out-handle the muscle car guys every time, I agree.They go fast in a straight line, we turn corners. Each does what they DO. So, the book´s been in your family 20 years? Cool family . . . I collect Opel books, & haven´t added one for a while, Daniel. If you want to sell it outright, & not contribute to the eBay empire--they´ll take a piece, of course--I´ll give you $35 & shipping for it. I think it´s a fair price for a first edition, but counter-offers are always welcome, too. Leave me a message here if you want to talk . . . . . . Mark

Thread Information