Opel powered Generac generator
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opel powered Generac generator

Opeler Kurly is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel powered Generac generator

I purchased a 8000 watt generator and am looking for any information as to it's engine ID, specs, year, ect. It's a stationary Generac with a 4cly. liquid cooled Opel. Some #'s off the head (overhead eng.) 10.4.64 , 2866083, some #'s on the right side of the block, 10863, 33, OPEL EB, 64007792. Thanks a million in advance. This unit has only 8 hours on it and was mounted in a garage it's entire life. It runs perfectly, but I want to get as much info as I can before it needs a tune-up or other service. Generac states they never made a gasoline sationary generator, so that is a dead end. It also has a strange looking piece between the manifold and carb, could it be set to run on natural gas? Thanks again, Kurt
    PS. It still has the original paint on all parts including the oil filter, it's a virgin
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tekenaar; 03-23-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club My location benncojr is on a distinguished road benncojr's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kurt,

Welcome to the group.

Do you have some photos of the setup? Photos are worth a thousand words.

It sounds like someone mated up an Opel engine to the generator in their backyard.

Good Luck

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurly View Post
    I purchased a 8000 watt generator and am looking for any information as to it's engine ID, specs, year, ect. It's a stationary Generac with a 4cly. liquid cooled Opel. Some #'s off the head (overhead eng.) 10.4.64 , 2866083, some #'s on the right side of the block, 10863, 33, OPEL EB, 64007792. Thanks a million in advance. This unit has only 8 hours on it and was mounted in a garage it's entire life. It runs perfectly, but I want to get as much info as I can before it needs a tune-up or other service. Generac states they never made a gasoline sationary generator, so that is a dead end. It also has a strange looking piece between the manifold and carb, could it be set to run on natural gas? Thanks again, Kurt
    PS It still has the original paint on all parts including the oil filter,It's a virgin
    Like Rick has stated, Welcome to the Opel Community, even though it's not a car. We have a couple of members with different equipment, one has an Opel powered log splitter, another just purchased a Japanese Jeep (precursor to the Suzuki Samuari) that some PO had upgraded to an Opel motor. Pictures do help a lot, especially of the numbers and the area on the manifold you're talking about.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome!

There were numerous uses of Opel motors for stationary equipment - we always love to hear ... and see ... applications that are discovered.

Here is a link to click on that describes ... and shows ... how we deternined which motor the log splitter was fitted with:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/group-6...at-engine.html

HTH
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads

Pictures of generator

I've uploaded pictures of my generator in the Photo section. Could you please teach me how to include them in this thread? Thanks Kurly in snow covered Wisconsin.

Kurly Gallery - Opel Photo Gallery
    Last edited by kwilford; 03-23-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added photo link

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kurly;
    When you type in the window to post, if you go down your screen just a little, you'll see a button "manage attachments" in the panel additional options. This is where you upload your pics to be in your posts . . . example of your pics attached to your first post here . . .
    Last edited by tekenaar; 03-23-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: link back to appended first post

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Generac generator

Thanks for the Help with pics. As you can see I took the cowling off the generator to service it and to show pics of the Opel engine. Please help to identify the engine. As I stated, it runs sweet!

Thanks, Kurly

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, if you took the numbers off the block correctly. then it looks like you have a 1.0 or a 1.1

Old Opeler My location GTJIM will become famous soon enough GTJIM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

1.0L or 1.1L OHV

Along from the distributor there is a machined flat surface with the engine number stamped upon it. For Opel industrial motors this sometimes starts with the letter "T" and is followed by "10" ; "11" or "12" (which indicates the size) and then the engine build number itself. This number is also often up-side-down on industrial motors.

What number is stamped upon your pad?

The motor is definitely the small Opel Kadett motor introduced about 1964 and continued in production right through to about the 1990's - first as a 1.0 litre 40 hp motor (in the Kadett) then as a 1.1 litre capacity (in the Kadett and GT) and finally as a 1.0 litre & 1.2 litre (in the Opel Corsa and Vauxhall Nova). Also widely used as industrial power plants - where ever GM could sell them. Tough little engines - with parts still available from the big automotive chain stores; specialty Opel parts suppliers and from Europe.

The strange cast piece between the carb and intake is a professionaly made side draft carb adaptor - I do not recognise the carb type - certainly not Opel automotoive - has it any makers name/model type cast on the carb anywhere? Is there and Opel insignia on the cast adaptor?

The 10.4.64 on the head probably shows that it was made on 4th October, 1964 which tends to suggest an early production 1.0 litre motor.
    Last edited by GTJIM; 03-23-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: ... more thoughts ...
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    My stepfather worked for Generac in Waukesha WI, years ago. When I acquired MY GT back in 84, I made mention of it to him. He stated that Generac DID use opel motors for their generators. I don't know more than that at the moment, but when I talk to him again, I'll ask him. May be awhile before I get to ask, as they are currently on vacation out in AZ.
    BD
    BD

Opeler towergnt is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Manual for the Opel Generac?

Kurly is interested in a manual I have that covers the 1966 Opel Kadett. The manual specifically mentions the 65.76 engine and that equates to a 1.07761 liter engine, 54 and 60 HP versions. Do you think this is what he needs?

Bill

Member My location manta73wi manta73wi's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Kurt, and welcome to the Opel forum! I think you'll find the folks on this site the friendliest and most helpful bunch on the web. Congrats on the purchase on the generator - looks like a true time warp piece. If you're looking for someone local who knows a bit about these early 1.0/1.1 engines, two folks in the Greater Milwaukee Opels group have 1.1 cars. Gerry N (Opelmn70) in Milwaukee has a 1.1 GT and a least 1 1.1 Kadett, and Pete (Anastosmotors) in Kenosha has a 1.1 Kadett. You're welcome to come to our GMO gatherings if you're interested, although nothing is yet scheduled for '08...seems last Friday's snow of 14 inches (ARGH! Enough already!!!) pushed back further the time the Opels can come out to play! We will post something on the Greater Milwaukee Opels section on the forum once something gets scheduled.
    Greater Milwaukee Opelers - Opel Community Forums

-Jeff W
    '73, '74, & '75 Mantas

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information