Starting the build For the coolest Manta I have ever seen!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Starting the build For the coolest Manta I have ever seen!

Downloads
    Uploads

Starting the build For the coolest Manta I have ever seen!

Shouldn't be too difficult, see'ns that I have only seen the one I now own

But, for those of you who remember my newbie post, here's the start of the actual build-

It is a 1974 Manta Luxus. Body is in excellent condition, all things considered. The passenger side rear quarter panel is very very slightly starting to rust. I think with a good cleanup and some rust mort it will be good to go with a thin layer of glazing filler. The driver side rear quarter is kinda bad, though. It took a small hit in the rear on the drivers side and it caused a slight colapse, which chipped the paint, and ultimately led to rust. There are two small dings above the rear tire driver side, it's possible that this was caused as a crinkle effect of the rear corner hit, but I don't think so. Trunk lid lines up too perfectly. Still not that bad. Underneath is very nice, with only a couple of minor rusting spots in the frame bracing, but jack stand locations are good and all floor boards are perfect. The interior is excellent and overall I am VERY pleased with the car.

Although I knew that I would either pull the engine and tranny and rebuild with a very hot street engine, or drop something else in- I still wanted to get it running and drive it a bit with the original in there. So, I proceeded to install a pertronix ignition and coil; modern alternator; and an electric fuel pump.

The good news is- it runs like a champ now! Fires right up and purrs like a kitten. The bad news is- Leaking oil like crazy out the rear main. We're talkin 20 seconds= 1cup of oil loss!

More bad news- Auto trans is slipping like crazy. was barely able to pull it into the parking spot.

So- I will be posting all the new stuff that I just purchased to get it running, along with the complete motor and trans in the for sale section along with a full set of original rims. So pm me if you're interested.

So, after many many hours of researching- I have a firm decision for an engine to drop in. Of course measurements must be taken, but I am confident that what I want to use will either be the 2.9 four cylinder or if possible with reasonable effort the 3.7 5 cylinder out of the Chevy Colorado. They are very inexpensive to purchase and provide great hp numbers in factory trim. Let me know if you guys have any good advice with this.

I just got my rims today, wasn't planning on getting them yet but at $900 for rims, tires, and lug nuts- well, I just couldn't pass it up.

They are 18"x7.5" Konig rims with a 45mm offset. Tires are 205x35r18. Size is nearly spot on with some minor cleaning up of the rear fender well (very minor) and some trimming of the front splash guard underneath. Other than that, they hit on the sway bar when turned all the way, but that is something I can live with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Manta Maniac Site Supporter My location Rionart's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Boedy View Post
    Other than that, they hit on the sway bar when turned all the way, but that is something I can live with.
    Here's a tip. drill a hole in the steering stops, and put a nut and pan head bolt through. You can adjust the head of the bolt out by putting washers underneath. It will reduce your turning circle a bit, but at least you are not stressing moving tyre against stationary sway bar.
    HTH,
    Rob.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    More bad news- Auto trans is slipping like crazy. was barely able to pull it into the parking spot.
    Check the fluid level. Opels are notoriously sensitive to oil level. Fully warmed up with the engine running, the fluid level should be right on the money. If you are 1/2 pint low on ATF (or 1/2 pint high) the tranny will slip.

Of course measurements must be taken, but I am confident that what I want to use will either be the 2.9 four cylinder or if possible with reasonable effort the 3.7 5 cylinder out of the Chevy Colorado. They are very inexpensive to purchase and provide great hp numbers in factory trim. Let me know if you guys have any good advice with this.
    The one big issue seems to be the engine height. You'll either need a substantial hood scoop, a custom intake manifold, or you'll have to do some custom oil pan work and drop the engine down. Smaller issues include the wiring and cracking the ECU. But that just takes money.

Check out this build thread:
    http://www.opelgt.com/forums/engine-...-lk5-swap.html
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a great car to start with! Are you going to lower it? Looks good with a little drop...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Craig Bellamy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    Looks like a great car to start with! Are you going to lower it? Looks good with a little drop...
    Please no don't do it

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll need some of this kind of info for the swap.
    Calibrated Success - EFI Training, Tuning, Consulting

This one is a must!!http://www.calibratedsuccess.com/Ass...ree_format.pdf
    Last edited by wrench459; 04-28-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Non Civilian My location opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    I agree a little drop is nice, but that is a lot of drop.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I went a little too far, but it gives you the idea. I really like the wheels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tip on the steering stops Rob, I've done this to a motorcycle- never even occured to make it work on a car, deffinitely will do.

Thanks big time for the link to Goingmant's engine swap thread- VERY useful.

Building a custom intake seems simple and a real no-brainer (no offense, solutions are always easier from the sidelines). Also, this tells me that right from the get go I will construct a different cross member to allow the engine to sit lower as well as possibly a custom oil pan as you had mentioned Bob.

As far as the dents above the rear tire, after further investigation it is clear that the hit in the rear corner has bent the frame rail right at the arch for the rear end. I may be able to fix this myself with some ingenuity or if not- I have already spoken to a shop that can do a quick stretch for a few hundred bucks if I prep everything ahead of time (remove back seat). Of course this won't completely fix the dents, but it will get me much closer to a nice clean fix instead of massive beating and body filler.

The five cylinder is a go- After taking the measurements, it seems that it would be a terribly tight fit if I put it in the way that Goingmanta did his 4 cylinder, but I will make the leading motor mount be the one centered on the cross member and the trailing motor mount will be on the back side of the cross member. I will be using an alternative air solution like Ardvark did with his Manta and put the HVAC components in the trunk. This should allow for a lot of extra space at the firewall giving the longer 5 cylinder more than enough breathing room while at the same time pushing the engines extra weight more towards the middle of the car. The truck's 5 speed shifter is farther forward anyway, so theoretically it should line up nicely in the palm of my hand

Sound good?

Oh, and lowering it- Nah. Cool pic though, jeeze- at first I didn't even notice it was photo shopped!

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attachm...2&d=1247440794

On a second look, it doesn't seem to be the crossmember that is not allowing the engine to drop down far enough. Seems like simply moving the engine back further would allow for a snug drop. Or does the oil filter get in the way up front with the steering components then?

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attachm...2&d=1247440794

On a second look, it doesn't seem to be the crossmember that is not allowing the engine to drop down far enough. Seems like simply moving the engine back further would allow for a snug drop. Or does the oil filter get in the way up front with the steering components then?
    Looking at that pic, the bottom of the oil pan is already as low as it can go without becoming a target. The stock Opel oil pan is *just* higher than the front suspension crossmember. And with a 'good' compression of the suspension and motor mounts the oil pan can hit the ground as it is. If you go lower...well, you know what the results might be!

I'd concentrate on getting the top of the engine a bit lower.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Thread Information