Opel P1 Experimental Prototype
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opel P1 Experimental Prototype

Opeler My location snmbroyles snmbroyles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel P1 Experimental Prototype

I have never heard of this Opel and is it special enough to be worth $425,000?

Opel for sale | Hemmings Motor News

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Mid-West Opeler My location sawdust is on a distinguished road sawdust's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by snmbroyles View Post
    ......... is it special enough to be worth $425,000?

This 1959 Opel achieved over 376 miles per gallon in Wood River, Illinois, in 1973!!
    Projekt 2014 - Der OPEL GT
    1971 Opel GT (Green) 10/28/06 VIN: 77 232 5469 Body U1032187 Build date: 10/70
    1972 Opel GT ..(Red) .05/11/07 VIN: 77 237 3202 Body U1049159 Build date: 11/71
    I am past the Age of knowing when I should know better

Other Cars:
    2010 Fusion Hybrid (White)
    LINK to my picture Albums

Opeler My location SpringGT is on a distinguished road SpringGT's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by snmbroyles View Post
    I have never heard of this Opel and is it special enough to be worth $425,000?

Opel for sale | Hemmings Motor News
    This thing surfaces on line from time to time, with some ridiculous asking price. I seem to remember that it is some small-displacement, belt driven gimmick, constructed solely to set gas mileage records.

For $424,000, buy an Aston Martin instead!

Opeler My location snmbroyles snmbroyles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    ..... over 376 miles per gallon in Wood River, Illinois, in 1973!!
    If they had used a GT body they could have had 400 mpg.

1000 Post Club wklopf is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    This thing surfaces on line from time to time, with some ridiculous asking price. I seem to remember that it is some small-displacement, belt driven gimmick, constructed solely to set gas mileage records.

For $424,000, buy an Aston Martin instead!
    Bob is right about this showing up from time to time. Here is a link to an article in Hemmings in 2008. It uses a four-cylinder engine. The rear wheels are moved together in the middle and are driven by a chain. The photos show it before it was spruced up. Apparently that work increased the value by a cool $49,000, based on the asking price in 2008. Bill

Big Oil conspiracy! 376 mpg Opel uncovered! | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

Senior Member kwschumm is an unknown quantity at this point
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, that red thing in the back looks suspiciously like my homelite air blower.

Hmm, hook that to the chain drive and off it goes!
    Only in America would a word like "Smart" (as in Smart cars) be marketed as synonymous with "Dumb-Ass" (as in Smart cars).

1000 Post Club wklopf is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    Wow, that red thing in the back looks suspiciously like my homelite air blower.

Hmm, hook that to the chain drive and off it goes!
    To me that red thing in the back looks like a bell housing with a shaft coming out of it where there should be a sprocket for the chain drive. Bill

Opeler NineLivesGT
    Real Name
    Paul
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow... I found this little Opel experiment really interesting, and really strange.

I'm not sure WHAT this thing is or how it came to be, but it is fascinating.

Seems like possibly a " I wonder what would happen if " kind of tinkerer (so naturally he was working on an OPEL !!!) who worked for Shell Oil in the early 70's must have gotten some backing from the company to fund his crazy attempt to break the all-time highest mileage record for gasoline engined vehicle ?

From what I'm reading on it, he used a lawnmower carburetor on the engine, heated the gasoline/air mixture until it vaporized and then supplied the vapor to the engine. This means that a Opel tinkerer not only INVENTED direct fuel vapor injection, but also holds the all-time record for high mileage achievement.

Gotta say I laughed when I read the logo written on the front fender : "OPEL IS A FOUR LETTER WORD"

I did find a video of the car here:

and also a website dedicated to the car here: Shell Opel

I can't believe someone's asking $425,000 for the thing. Anybody with some square tubing, a MIG welder, a few lawn mower parts, and an old Opel body shell could build a duplicate for about $425 !!!

The paint pattern on the side of the car appears to be silhouettes of sea shell stickers sprayed over with a rattle-can of gold colored Krylon spray paint... (like something I would have done under the maple tree in the backyard after too many beers)... so I guess that was sort of supposed to represent the Shell Oil Company ??? Amazing that a multi-national global oil giant would have had their company represented this way. You'd think Shell Oil would have sprung for a slick high-dollar professional paint job.

I'd be curious if anyone else found any other detail on the car's development from the beginning. If didn't know better, I'd have said it was something my hacker brother made out of Dad's old lawn mowers, our bunk bed frame, and a body shell he stole out of old-man Darnell's cornfield. $425,0000 ??? ha ha ha ha
    Last edited by NineLivesGT; 01-01-2012 at 03:31 AM.

ggl
    1000 Post Club ggl is on a distinguished road ggl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by NineLivesGT View Post
    From what I'm reading on it, he used a lawnmower carburetor on the engine, heated the gasoline/air mixture until it vaporized and then supplied the vapor to the engine. This means that a Opel tinkerer not only INVENTED direct fuel vapor injection, but also holds the all-time record for high mileage achievement.
    Pre-heating gasoline until it vaporizes in a contraption that looks like it was made in someone's garden shed, in my opinion whoever got behind the wheel of that thing was a very brave man because to me that sounds like a fire bomb on wheels
    "I hate RallyBob"

Senior Member ghcoe will become famous soon enough ghcoe's Avatar
    Real Name
    George
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is called a "Hot Vapor" engine. A lot of good information on it here. Good MPG, good power, very tricky to work with. You have heard of those 100mpg carbs? This is the technology they used.

Smokey Yunick’s Hot Vapor Fiero; 51 mpg and 0-60 in less than 6 Seconds! See and hear it run in our exclusive VIDEO! : Legendary Collector Cars
    George

"Gott schuf Adam, und Adam den Opel"

-1975 Ascona [mine] http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=ascona

-1974 Manta [sons] http://www.opelgt.com/forums/manta/21191-another-opel-1974-manta.html
    -1967 (early) Kadett Caravan L [wifes] http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthr...ht=1967+kadett

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information