Building a paint booth, Intake-Exhaust
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building a paint booth, Intake-Exhaust

1000 Post Club My location Sparky73 Sparky73's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jon
    Downloads
    Uploads

Building a paint booth, Intake-Exhaust

I'm looking to build a somewhat long term paint booth. I've got all the framing up, but need some help with the location of my fans.

Instead of drawing air through the fans (since their just cheap box fans, Home Depot $15 special) I'm going to push air into the booth and run vents to the windows of the garage.

Where would be my best best for mounting the fans, and how many do you think I need? The booth is a 10x20x7.5

Looking into the booth from the front door, there is a window to vent in the back center, and one in the center of the wall to your left.

Also now that I think about it, would I need 2 windows to vent to?

I bought a total of 4 fans, if I don't use them all I'll use them in the house this Summer.

20 in. 3-Speed Box Fan-3733 at The Home Depot
    Current
    1970 GT; Under Construction

Previous
    1969 GT; Street/Strip Project
    1969 GT; White with Black Interior, Automatic
    1969 GT; Black Parts Car
    1969 GT; White Parts Car
    1970 GT; Silver with Red Interior
    1971 GT; Orange with Black Interior, Turbo
    1972 GT; Red Parts Car
    1972 GT; Blue with Black Interior
    1973 GT; Pearl Blue with Black interior. Full body kit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder is on a distinguished road opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are such things as pressurized booths with an air makeup system...but for your paint booth idea...it could lead to disasterous results. All your going to do is blow in trash from outside areas. Even with filters over them you run a risk. I have done a booth on the cheap...best off building a cheap wood frame and surround the fans with...then you can place this down low on the floor and have an exit fan box. Then in the windows or vents,cover these with filters. Also place filters over the box fans....if you can allow some space between the filters and the fans that would be great. Hey you will be surprised how much the 24in house filters can filter out of the atmosphere. I have seen plastic tubing used to build the framework for the booth too.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Opeler My location tealcarver tealcarver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I built a paint booth under a metal framed canvas car port. Put plastic on the sides to keep out the bugs and trash flying in the air. Didn't use fans because too much air flow though the booth causes it's own problems. I use polyurethane paint, so after the color cote you only have 24 hours to clear coat it. It certainly was not a professional paint booth but no bugs, leaves, or dust on the paint either. Used a respirator while spraying that nasty stuff. Didn't realize how much vapor was in the air until I took the respirator off after spraying. Results? The car looks great, clear coat is smooth as a baby's backside, no runs, no streaks, no color variation.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder is on a distinguished road opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would run fans...they are for your protection...a respirator won't work when all the air is contaminated.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

1000 Post Club wklopf is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    I would run fans...they are for your protection...a respirator won't work when all the air is contaminated.
    How about an air-supplied respirator? Bill

Opeler My location SpringGT is on a distinguished road SpringGT's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently helped a friend put an air system in the paint booth that he had built in his large shop. We put an old squirrel-cage blower from a home central cooling system on the top front of the booth, and covered it with a lumber-framed filter box. Then, four large househould pleated filters, one on each side of the box were installed. Flourescent lights line all of the walls.

The door is a clear plastic, roll-up style door on the front of the booth. He just rolls the door up about a foot when painting and the air exhausts under the door of the booth and out a side door of the shop.

He has done several paint jobs with this setup with excellent results. The air volume keeps the room mostly free of mist, but he also uses a quality mask when spraying.
    HTH

Member Trevil is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Trond
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At my dad's there a a box where the air intake is over the car, out is under the car, running a slight overpressure. With two fans, one in and one out. The out fan is spark free for safety. The filter element over the car is about 1.5x2 meters, usually no problems there, change it every 7-8 or 10 years or so, but it's never been filthy, cause we use a filter right after the heater that keeps most **** away. Room has lots of light, but in addition to that we usually use a flashlight when we do the last coat.

I dont know much about english, but is sh|t really a bad word? Thought it meant something like dirty.. oh well.. gotta have some **** sometimes

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky73 View Post
    I'm looking to build a somewhat long term paint booth. I've got all the framing up, but need some help with the location of my fans.

Instead of drawing air through the fans (since their just cheap box fans, Home Depot $15 special) I'm going to push air into the booth and run vents to the windows of the garage.

Where would be my best best for mounting the fans, and how many do you think I need? The booth is a 10x20x7.5

Looking into the booth from the front door, there is a window to vent in the back center, and one in the center of the wall to your left.

Also now that I think about it, would I need 2 windows to vent to?

I bought a total of 4 fans, if I don't use them all I'll use them in the house this Summer.

20 in. 3-Speed Box Fan-3733 at The Home Depot
    First things first. WHERE is this garage your converting into a bomb, err I mean paint booth? If it's in city limits, you best look into city codes if your planning on doing more than just one paint job. AND if it is in a residential area I would really REALLY suggest, you think twice. Spraying paint may seem innocent enough to you, but a neighbor gets a good whiff of lacquer thinner or epoxy, or whatever your shooting and your likely to have 5.0 breathing down your neck with a nice and expensive ticket/summons to court. If your just doing a one time one car deal, then I would suggest getting some charcoal filters for your out vent system to reduce the amount of fumes your spreading to your neighborhood. Real paint booths have all sorts of lovely tricks to prevent explosions, like the light switch is (in a properly set up booth) never INSIDE the booth, fans that are driven by externally placed motors or motors that are designed for hazardous atmospheres, etc. ABOVE ALL else, be careful. A paint job ain't worth dieing over

opelspyder said "I would run fans...they are for your protection...a respirator won't work when all the air is contaminated. "

Actually, if your using the proper filters (charcoal canister type) or a forced air respirator, you'll be just fine. I have shot paint in a NON-vented homemade booth, many times, and that's all we ever use is just the simple charcoal filters. The main purpose of the ventilation system is to keep the over-spray to a minimum and thus reducing the amount of crap that settles on to your nice FRESH paint job, and in turn reducing the amount of final wet sanding you'll have to do to have a nice mirror finish.

Just my .05 for the day (inflation ya know )
    "Be Like Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information