Lottery Jackpot - What would you do?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Lottery Jackpot - What would you do?

Got Red? My location The Scifi Guy is on a distinguished road The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First, I'd give everybody on our website a $10,000 gift certificate to OGTS or Splendid. Sorry, no OU ones.

Second, I would buy the yellow Gullwing GT no matter what it costs.

Third, I would hire RallyBob as my personal mechanic.

Forth, I'd hire Wrench to make my engine run on plutonium and generate graphs of how much yield the nuclear explosion at start up had.

Fifth, I'll hire Harold to tend my weed garden. He'll also have to wear a full clown outfit with orange fuzzy hair and big shoes.

With the rest of the money, I'd buy the Playboy empire, move into the mansion, and become the new Hugh Hefner until I die..........really, REALLY, happy.
    opelnut_1 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

101st Airborne - Viet Nam Site Supporter My location MICAH1 is on a distinguished road MICAH1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I'd buy the Playboy empire, move into the mansion, and become the new Hugh Hefner until I die..........really, REALLY, happy.

G-Man!!! Spoken like a true actor.....

Thomas

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm, half a BILLION and dreaming?
    OK, first off, have one built or buy one, 100,000 sq/ft heated and a/c'ed building. Half would go as follows, buy out OU and transport/sort/catalog ALL parts. Parts would be broken up into catagories as, GT, then Manta/Ascona, then Kadett, then gray market/other older-newer Opels. There would be a motor section that would have the intake and related parts, then a transmission (4-spd/5-spd/you name it) and it's related parts. There would be a section for wheels, this would include stripping/cleaning widening, and straighting, as well as, repainting. This would include all trim tings, hub caps and center caps. You should be getting the idea by now. The other half of this warehouse would be for whole cars, either turn-key, running, can be made to run, in one section. Then a section for cars needing some work, then parts cars/shells. Parts cars would be brought in and stipped, the various parts sorted into the other half of the warehouse.
    RallyBob would be hired to do R&D and metal fabrication. Seeing as we have such a cross section of people, a couple of machine shops would be on retainer for getting machine work done. Then a small fleet of P/U's with trailers would be sent about the country, looking in salvage yards, picking up Opels in people's yards/barns/fields/whatever and bringing them back to be sorted. .........
    POP, Oh, sorry I must have fallen asleep.......
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Manta Saviour blancojp will become famous soon enough blancojp's Avatar
    Real Name
    juan P. Blanco PH.D.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jlthunder View Post
    First, I'd buy Harold a custom 4 door extend cab 8' bed diesel dually and set him up with a biodiesel system.....
    Everyone is buying Harold some type of truck, I wonder why?

I would get him a life time subscription to hair club for men, that way he would look good inside the truck ya'lls are buying him.

Senior Member Viny Charb is on a distinguished road Viny Charb's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Me and 20 other guys @ work regularly buy Lottomax Tickets every 50M$. I've never bought a lottery ticket in my life before being in this pool. It is fun to dream as a group what we would do with our 2.38 M$ each. Which of course in Canada is tax free. I would pay off my house, truck, finish the restoration of the GT. Buy a Getrag 5 speed and start to build some kind of Sick Fast 2.4 or 2.7L street motor.

Then again maybe I would do all the above and then buy
    P.J Romano's car!
    Last edited by kwilford; 11-30-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: sp

Über OpelGT.com Moderator My location kwilford will become famous soon enough kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Viny Charb View Post
    Me and 20 other guys @ work regularly buy Lottomax Tickets every 50M$. Which of course in Canada is tax free.
    One rule I always abide by: if there is a lottery pool in the office, I ALWAYS participate! There is nothing worse than being the odd man out when a bunch of your office mates win the lottery. How do I know? A few years ago, I worked with some guys at a gas plant where 17 of them had shared a Lotto 649 ticket worth $54.3MM in 2005. Each won $3.2MM. A few were still working at the plant, but most had retired and moved on.

And as Viny has pointed out, us Canucks don't have to pay income tax on lottery winnings, at least those won in Canada. I believe that Uncle Sam would collect his pound of flesh tho if we won Power Ball. Still, $185MM isn't too bad.

What to do? Buy a few things, travel a bit more, share some with family and friends and especially the folks who would appreciate it. Probably buy an oil company and run it. Already did that, but this time, the only shareholder would be me and the missus.

As for Opel stuff, sure, I'd finish what I have, although the SportWagon is now officially complete. In fact, Kat's coming tomorrow to collect it back. I always said I was holding it for her, although I hadn't planned on spending quite a bit more than I am selling it back to her for. But that is for a different thread...
    Keith Wilford
    If I could only find the time to work on my '71 Opel GT...

1000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano will become famous soon enough P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Viny Charb View Post
    Then again maybe I would do all the above and then buy
    P.J Romano's car!
    Hey, I thought that it will be ME to win tomorrow. By the way, I wouldn't know what to do with half a billion. $50M will be much easier to manage.
    Attached Images
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

1000 Post Club My location m610 is on a distinguished road m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It would either be:

1. Secure housing and living for family and certain friends.
    2. College funds for nephews, etc.
    3. Get a reasonable house.
    4. Set up a nonprofit, the SPCO, Society for the Protection of Opels, and would adopt orphaned classic Opels and give them a new life.
    5. Big ass club house (BACH) with guest accommodations for weary Opel travelers and an unpaved road course in the back "yard" where visitors can learn to drive fast and loose.
    6. Host annual Opel events at BACH or around the country.
    7. Buy Harold a truck. I don't know why, but social momentum compels me.
    8. Donate $1 to NPR to let them know how much I appreciate them, 75¢ to the DNC for the same reason, and 10¢ to the GOP so they don't feel left out.
    9. Hire someone to edit The Blitz.

or

1. Go into hiding.

I like the titanium block idea. Did I even mention that I did my dissertation on Ti-6Al-4V? You know, in case your project takes off.

Opelitis afflicted My location charlie1966 is on a distinguished road charlie1966's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't think I can buy US or Canadian tickets so I'm out but still think of me if one of you win. Pleeeeeeeeeese!

Mind you I always seem to be winning the Nigerian lottery. I just have to hand over my account details, a small deposit and I will be rolling in it.
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, personally, I would buy EVERY SINGLE Opel GT (including all of yours) and have the worlds largest private car collection of a single make and model, and display them all in a huge private warehouse/showroom. Of course I would have to hire a large number of ya'll to help maintain/clean/restore/update all of them and of course drive them regularly (cars were meant to be driven daily if you ask me).
    "Be Like Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee

Living in the past opelnut10 is on a distinguished road opelnut10's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nigerian Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1966 View Post
    Don't think I can buy US or Canadian tickets so I'm out but still think of me if one of you win. Pleeeeeeeeeese!

Mind you I always seem to be winning the Nigerian lottery. I just have to hand over my account details, a small deposit and I will be rolling in it.
    You mean that ain't for real, damm you can't trust these days I invited the person that notified me of my winnings to come to my house and bring me the winnings and I would cover his cost of transportation and give him MapQuest directions to the White House to visit his long lost cousin
    charlie1966 likes this.

Newbiest Newbie Fox Raymond Trot is on a distinguished road Fox Raymond Trot's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Simply put, I'd pay off my college loans and fix my Opel. I'd go into detail about my 1900, but I don't think the admins would appreciate me taking up the next two pages of the thread.

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4 has a spectacular aura about BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Raymond Trot View Post
    I'd go into detail about my 1900, but I don't think the admins would appreciate me taking up the next two pages of the thread.
    That's what this site is about....post away.....
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Newbiest Newbie Fox Raymond Trot is on a distinguished road Fox Raymond Trot's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you insist. I would:

Change the oil (something I'm about to do anyway)
    Rewire my blinkers so the e-flasher button doesn't have to be pressed for them to work (Not very costly, but I'd like to have working hazards)
    Hook up my fog lights to their switch (once again, not costly)
    Get a new vent rudder thing for my dash
    Replace my dash (it's only got a few small cracks, but hey, this is half a billion dollars)
    Fix my possibly leaking gas tank
    Fix my possibly leaking engine (yeah, I haven't driven it much since I found this problem)
    Fix my radio (something I don't really care about, but like I said, it's half a billion bucks)
    Get new hood latches
    Get a new hood
    Fix my driver side window
    Repaint my car back to its original glossy red
    Fasteners. Many many fasteners
    Fix my horn
    Get a new jack (I'm told the one it comes with is pretty sorry)

I'm pretty sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now.

I knew I forgot something; I'd fix all the rust damage. I've got a lot of fun ahead.

And the brakes. I forgot the brake cylinders, too.
    Last edited by Fox Raymond Trot; 12-01-2012 at 03:25 PM.

GT is my middle name My location blauwmarc is on a distinguished road blauwmarc's Avatar
    Real Name
    Theo
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What I would do...

Buy a big landhouse with a pool, a lake (son likes to fish) and a big barn for the toys.
    Toys (bucketlist, ofcourse all in mint condition):

Opel GT 2.4E
    opel GT 16V
    Opel GT V8
    Corvette 1968
    Corvette 1969
    Corvette 1970
    Corvette 1971
    Corvette 1972
    Corvette 1973
    corvette 1975
    ofcourse these vettes all have to much HP
    And a nice Beamer or Audi for daily drive. Working days will be over forever and close friends and relatives will share my luck. For the big European GT meeting I’ll charter a big Airbus 380 to fly all the GT guys from the US to Europe. Ofcourse I would arrange something for my friend Argyris from Greece, because I think he is having a hard time over there…
    Besides cars I would buy me a state of the art new gliderplane, like this one:http://www.technologicvehicles.com/C...s%2020%20E.jpg I would travel all over the World and fly my glider everywhere. I would pay Gil Wesson a visit and his crew ,Dennis and Dave, arrange a big truck for transportation to collect interesting cars and ship them to Europe. But why Europe, I’ll buy me a house in Santa Barbara or Florida, money doesn’t matter!
    Watch my pics at Flickr.com, not only GT's!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39209800@N07/

Über Genius My location First opel 1981 will become famous soon enough First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you insist. I would:

Change the oil (something I'm about to do anyway)
    Rewire my blinkers so the e-flasher button doesn't have to be pressed for them to work (Not very costly, but I'd like to have working hazards)
    Hook up my fog lights to their switch (once again, not costly)
    Get a new vent rudder thing for my dash
    Replace my dash (it's only got a few small cracks, but hey, this is half a billion dollars)
    Fix my possibly leaking gas tank
    Fix my possibly leaking engine (yeah, I haven't driven it much since I found this problem)
    Fix my radio (something I don't really care about, but like I said, it's half a billion bucks)
    Get new hood latches
    Get a new hood
    Fix my driver side window
    Repaint my car back to its original glossy red
    Fasteners. Many many fasteners
    Fix my horn
    Get a new jack (I'm told the one it comes with is pretty sorry)

I'm pretty sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now.

I knew I forgot something; I'd fix all the rust damage. I've got a lot of fun ahead.

And the brakes. I forgot the brake cylinders, too.
    Dude, with a half a billion dollars you could get all that done FOR you... by hot women barely wearing bikinis while you get an oil rub and are fed grapes.

And that's just using the interest for half of a day
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah. I could, but where's the fun in that?

Über OpelGT.com Moderator My location kwilford will become famous soon enough kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah. I could, but where's the fun in that?
    Hmm, "...by hot women barely wearing bikinis while you get an oil rub and are fed grapes."
    Sure, THAT doesn't sound like any fun at all!
    Keith Wilford
    If I could only find the time to work on my '71 Opel GT...

Opelitis afflicted My location charlie1966 is on a distinguished road charlie1966's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by blauwmarc View Post
    Ofcourse I would arrange something for my friend Argyris from Greece, because I think he is having a hard time over there…
    I think you could buy Greece and still have change.
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

Got Red? My location The Scifi Guy is on a distinguished road The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Hmm, "...by hot women barely wearing bikinis while you get an oil rub and are fed grapes."
    Sure, THAT doesn't sound like any fun at all!
    He's from Florida. He's probably bored with bikinis. Maybe he gets more of a rush from our northern snow women in their ski suits?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information