Eeeew! Squirrels Eat Grubs!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By The Scifi Guy
  • 2 Post By MikeNotigan
  • 1 Post By Thanatopsis
  • 1 Post By The Scifi Guy
  • 1 Post By ubernoob51

Thread: Eeeew! Squirrels Eat Grubs!

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eeeew! Squirrels Eat Grubs!

Every year at this time, I prop up a ladder and take down the bird-house-that-looks-like-my-house I made, to clean it out and do any necessary repairs. It's a duplex and one year I had nesting blackbirds on one side and mama squirrel and her 3 little ones on the other side. I could tell that the blackbirds didn't care much for living next to squirrels, they seemed to be badly pestered by fleas and their feathers were always untidy and they were constantly picking at themselves.:

Duplex Bird House.jpg IMG_4819.jpg

This year, inside, I found the usual nesting material and soil-like decayed squirrel poo and snot. In the approximately one beer can's worth of black soil I found inside, I was horrified and amazed to discover about EIGHT big, fat, thumb-sized, icky, alien, GRUBS lurking in the soil. EEEEEEEWWW! WTF! How the heck did yard grubs get 15 feet up in the air inside my birdhouse?!!!!! I can't imagine that cicadas or beetles or whatever lays grub eggs would choose to lay'em in a dry-ish handful of squirrel poop at roof top height. There were way too many of them and they were way too fat and healthy for that small amount of soil to have been their sole source of sustainance.

It's not impossible, though, that the squirrels put'em there, I figured.

Winter is coming and it's time for the squirrels to start stocking up on butter and eggs. Squirrels are constantly digging in the soil for acorn deposition and retrieval, one supposes that they must run across the occasional grub or two. Grubs are one of the highest nutrition and calorie-containing foods to be found when you're lost and starving in the woods. Squirrels don't store piles of nuts in their squirrel houses, like you see in the cartoons, they bury'em so that the soil neutralizes the bitter acidy stuff in'em. When there's 12" of snow on the ground, you don't see squirrels digging sub-snow tunnels to search for the nuts they buried. They must eat something else when they're hunkered down during a long snow spell.

So, this morning I googled "Do squirrels eat grubs?". Yup, squirrels eat grubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMwKcjdPG9w

Eeeeeewwww! I ain't kissin' a squirrel that just ate a grub! Discusting! Barf, barf, yak!!! Okay, now think about this: The denisons of my squirrel flop house were probably storing those grubs for Winter as tv snacks during heavy snowfalls. That means that they're living with them all Winter long! In their HOUSE! One inch away from their furry little asses!

EEEEEeeeeeeeewwwww!

Imagine if you had to hang out all Winter with funky gray, German sheppard-sized, cast members from the movie Alien!

Aaaaaggggghhhh!

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 11-12-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    SpringGT likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Note to self: Take Hav-a-Heart trap and trap pesky squirrels eating all of my birdseed and transport critters up to nice home in Collingswood where they will be given a new home and life.......

I was thinking for a bit if it's possible the grubs were actually in the bird seed. A far reach, though.
    The Scifi Guy and ubernoob51 like this.

Real Name
    People call me Dave
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    In the approximately one beer can's worth of black soil I found inside,
    That is one of the more interesting units of measure I have seen. Just to satisfy my curiosity, would that be a standard 12 ounce can or a tall boy?
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To be exact, that would be a 12oz. can.

I figured that since this site is mainly read by drunken car dudes, I would use a unit of measure that they would all know. I was gonna say "one measuring cup", but I figured that most guys wouldn't know what that is, 'cuz guys only know how to cook tv dinners and pizza bites.

My diggity dang neighbor painted their half of the house a different color, opened up their porch, and painted their front door red(?), so I had to paint and mod their side of the birdhouse so that it resembles their side better. During this refurbishment, I observed my mantra: Never spend more than one hour making a birdhouse 'cuz birds poop in'em. Squirrels poop even more and my birdie house has only got another season or so left in it, so I applied very little effort to it's fix up. It's now all ready for another Winter. Minus the grubs. The squirrels better get busy, Winter is just around the corner.

Birdhouse 2016-17 (1).jpg Birdhouse 2016-17 (2).jpg
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 11-12-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    Thanatopsis likes this.

Resident Whippersnapper ubernoob51's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alex Zaychenko
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After sifting through our compost pile, we discovered similarly-sized grubs. They are May Beetle larvae, at least ours are.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Thread Information