Need help: 1969 Plymouth GTX 440 Auto
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By opelnut10
  • 1 Post By opelspyder
  • 1 Post By Rainer Manthey

Thread: Need help: 1969 Plymouth GTX 440 Auto

Real Name
    Rainer Manthey
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need help: 1969 Plymouth GTX 440 Auto

Hi folks,

my buddy Jörg and I need a big help to restore a 1969 Plymouth GTX, 440 engine with an automatic gearbox.

We are missing all parts for the kick-down operation between throttle and gearbox. We need the parts 1 to 13. See picture in any condition.

Is there a wreck around you to grab the parts?

I hope to see you at Carlisle with or without the parts.

Rainer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For more information visit our site:
    www.manta-a-online.de

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not many of these in salvage yards. Have you checked to see if they are still available new or reproduction? Maybe sign up to a Mopar forum and list for parts wanted?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-904...VW60z4&vxp=mtr

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A cable and bracket system would work. HTH
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This link has a pretty good selection of tranmission parts: Mopar Parts | Transmission | Automatic Trans | Shift Linkage | Classic Industries

Like Gordy mentioned, very unlikely to find a classic muscle car like a GTX in an american junkyard anymore; except for some out of the way oasis last untouched since the early 80's.

One more thing, if it's possible for one of your US Opel friends to send you a copy of Hemmings Motor News, chances are good you'd likely find what you need in the Mopar Vendor sections of that bible for everything automotive....
    Last edited by MikeNotigan; 01-30-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by guyopel View Post
    The adjustable rod in the picture plays an important part in the automatic transmission shifting properly.

Harold

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by guyopel View Post
    I agree the 727 trans used a throttle pressure arrangement system.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mopar Transmission Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Rainer Manthey View Post
    Hi folks,

my buddy Jörg and I need a big help to restore a 1969 Plymouth GTX, 440 engine with an automatic gearbox.

We are missing all parts for the kick-down operation between throttle and gearbox. We need the parts 1 to 13. See picture in any condition.

Rainer
    The nice thing about Mopar transmission parts is they fit several models and a lot of years. That transmission should be a Torqueflight 727 and about any big block Mopar (383, 413, 426 440) should have what you are after.
    hrcollinsjr likes this.

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, my father had a 71 GTX that he removed the automatic and installed a Tremec 5 Speed. He doesn't throw anything away, there might be a chance he still has that stuff. But if he sold the automatic, he probably included it in the sale. I'll find out tomorrow
    tomking likes this.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi folks,

Rainer
    Are you trying to do a numbers matching 100% restoration? Or are you just doing a "restification" and 100% detailed accurate parts are not that important? As has been stated there are after market cable set-ups that are far superior and less frustrating to set-up then the original linkage system. But if your going for 100% perfect restore, I can look out in my garage this next weekend and most likely could find an original linkage like that which you see pictured in the book, but if you have never set one up and fine tuned them to function like they are supposed too, you won't be happy driving it around later. They are finicky as hell to get right, just saying. Please DO include at least one picture of this project your helping with, when you respond, since I AM a Mopar guy and that is the majority of what I have owned in my life, so I am interested to see and it might motivate me even more to put extra effort into finding that stuff which I am certain will be in the darkest dustiest and most obscure corner of my shop and will take me hours to find. Hell you may even remember seeing a pic of my shop not to long ago here on the forums (I am sure SciFi remembers) and will understand why I say this
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow73GT View Post
    Are you trying to do a numbers matching 100% restoration? Or are you just doing a "restification" and 100% detailed accurate parts are not that important? As has been stated there are after market cable set-ups that are far superior and less frustrating to set-up then the original linkage system. But if your going for 100% perfect restore, I can look out in my garage this next weekend and most likely could find an original linkage like that which you see pictured in the book, but if you have never set one up and fine tuned them to function like they are supposed too, you won't be happy driving it around later. They are finicky as hell to get right, just saying. Please DO include at least one picture of this project your helping with, when you respond, since I AM a Mopar guy and that is the majority of what I have owned in my life, so I am interested to see and it might motivate me even more to put extra effort into finding that stuff which I am certain will be in the darkest dustiest and most obscure corner of my shop and will take me hours to find. Hell you may even remember seeing a pic of my shop not to long ago here on the forums (I am sure SciFi remembers) and will understand why I say this
    Chuck, Knowing Rainer and several other German's who have restored cars, I'd say 100% resto.
    I find that Germans have a lot of pride in their work and always look for top quality parts for their projects.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Rainer Manthey
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Chuck, Knowing Rainer and several other German's who have restored cars, I'd say 100% resto.
    I find that Germans have a lot of pride in their work and always look for top quality parts for their projects.
    Thanks Gary. That´s the way we want to rebuild this 69 GTX.

But we will do some research first on the links in this thread to check out what´s going on.

You will hear from us soon.

BTW: The body is under reconstruction now with new or reproduction parts. The remaining original parts are: firewall, some parts of the frame and floorpan, inner wheelswells and A-pillars. I will send pics later.

Rainer
    opelgtguy likes this.
    www.manta-a-online.de

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Check with A&A Transmissions. And also Hemispherical Parts. My father says A&A has a nice setup that looks correct for the kick down and such.
    Chrysler 727 Trans - A&A Transmissions
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to go along with Gary on German restorations. When I went with Gil and some others to the 2008 Eurotreffen near Stuttgart I was very impressed with the overall quality of work on the show field. Row after row of really sharp GTs. The thing I would have to wonder about having a 69 GTX over there is getting that 440 ground pounder up and down some of the streets. I rented a car while there and some of the streets were like alleys.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    The thing I would have to wonder about having a 69 GTX over there is getting that 440 ground pounder up and down some of the streets. I rented a car while there and some of the streets were like alleys.
    And that was why I asked. I will keep my eyes peeled for those parts when I am out in the shop this weekend. If you don't need them thats fine, and if you do I will at least have an idea if I have everything and where it is at.

Real Name
    Rainer Manthey
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow73GT View Post
    And that was why I asked. I will keep my eyes peeled for those parts when I am out in the shop this weekend. If you don't need them thats fine, and if you do I will at least have an idea if I have everything and where it is at.
    Thanks guys for all (and your future help),

that´s the reason why I´ve posted our request here. Because we´ve got some very strange tips in several Mopar forums.

There must be a difference between GM and Mopar. Or what do you think?

Rainer
    www.manta-a-online.de

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rainer
    It's like Opel and VW...
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    The thing I would have to wonder about having a 69 GTX over there is getting that 440 ground pounder up and down some of the streets. I rented a car while there and some of the streets were like alleys.
    Yes,they are sometimes very narrow. You ought to try to drive an army deuce-and-a-half truck in those neighborhoods. Sometimes the streets seem ok at first, but get narrower as you go; then they finally end at a stone wall with traffic mirrors and a sharp right or left turn as your only option. I've been known to have to back out of those neighborhoods for 3-4 blocks because we couldn't make the turn. Fun times!
    Last edited by SpringGT; 02-01-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    we´ve got some very strange tips in several Mopar forums.

Rainer
    Do tell of the "strange tips"?

and as for "difference between GM and Mopar"

yes

The term MOPAR was first used by Chrysler back in the 20's and became a parts brand in the late 30's for OEM parts for Chrysler products. Now the term is used a lot in reference to Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Ram, Jeep, Desoto because of the parts that they made for these Chrysler brands, but is NOT the manufacturer of said vehicles but rather more term used loosely in reference to Chrysler products.

G.M. = General Motors, a specific car company that produces motor vehicles

Thread Information