How to eat grits? - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How to eat grits?

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ing grits and other southern dishes

Gordo, your posts often remind me of funny events and memories. When I was working for a big GM Dealership in Virginia Beach I was doing outside sales for the wholesale parts division, my official title was sales rep for the wholesale parts division. I established accounts with repair shops & body shops and done fleet bids along with accounts with smaller dealerships to supply GM parts. I covered a radius of about 250 miles from Virginia Beach. I went into the dealership one morning before leaving out to make some stops in northeast North Carolina and the Peugeot Factory rep (we also sold Peugeot) had showed up from New Jersey and wanted to ride along with me and watch me in action to see if he could pick up a few pointers. He offered to drive but when we got into the parking lot I seen he was driving a Citroan (the only one in this country at the time) and I could see us broke down in Tarboro, NC in that thing with that dude standing there with the water hose saying "I always wanted to work on one of those things" so I passed and drove my company car (a Pontiac GP). Lunch time came and I took him to a BBQ buffet restaurant in Ahoskie, NC to give him a taste of some down home southern dishes. The first clue I got was when the young lady came to the table and wanted to know what we were drinking with our meal and he said he wanted iced coffee, you should have seen the look on her face like, "you ain't from around here are you" and she said "I'm sorry but I don't know what that is". I orders sweet tea and told her just to bring him a cup of coffee and a glass of ice and some coffee creamer if he wanted that. We go up to the buffet and he is ahead of me in line, he scoops up some fried Okra and ask me if those were hush puppies, I said "no" and I expained about the Okra thing down south. But he was a nice fellow and we made it through the day and parted friends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator My location Ooooner's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to know the truth about all this, here in North Carolina, a breakfast ain't breakfast unless you have grits AND liver mush. The liver mush is fried and I personally like to top it with ketchup. Mmmmmmmmm

When we have the Nationals at Charlotte in 2019, I will serve up some grits and liver mush to everybody! Hee Hee Hee
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Roy Bell
    1969 Opel GT (Switzerland)
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ain't eatin' no liver mush!

I don't care if you put it under or on top of the grits or serve it in a soup bowl filled with ketchup.

Liver belongs under the table on the floor where the dog can git at it.

So, is liver mush liver that has been run through a blender? My dad married a woman who had this cat that she only fed blendered liver to. Every meal liver. That cat was a nasty biitch who spent her whole life hiding under the bed hissing at you. In 15 years I never laid a hand on that cat. I guess I'd hide under the bed and hiss at people, too, if I had to eat liver every day. But, that cat lived for 20 years, so maybe there's somethin' to all this liver eatin'.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I ain't eatin' no liver mush!

I don't care if you put it under or on top of the grits or serve it in a soup bowl filled with ketchup.

Liver belongs under the table on the floor where the dog can git at it.

So, is liver mush liver that has been run through a blender? My dad married a woman who had this cat that she only fed blendered liver to. Every meal liver. That cat was a nasty biitch who spent her whole life hiding under the bed hissing at you. In 15 years I never laid a hand on that cat. I guess I'd hide under the bed and hiss at people, too, if I had to eat liver every day. But, that cat lived for 20 years, so maybe there's somethin' to all this liver eatin'.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how it's made. The "correct" term is liver pudding. It is ground up but other "ingredients" are added in. I've been told it's made from stuff shoveled off the floor after everything else is made. Don't know about that but if you grew up in it, it's pretty good!
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I, therefore, have evolved my own method for eating a taco:

Never put it down.

Once you pick up a taco you're commited. You have to finish it before you do anything else. Since the shell breaks on the first bite, if you put it down it will fall apart like Humpty Dumpty falling off the wall. You have to hold it upright, otherwise the corn-based U-shaped plate that holds the cat-based meat and mushy beans lets all the guts fall out. Therefore you have to turn your head sideways to get the sucker in your pie-hole. When you're done eating your taco, you have a big decision to make: Have another taco immediately or use up all the napkins on the table wiping cat guts and mystery sauces off of your face and fingers.

Am I doing it right?

Curious Gordos want to know!

No, Gordon. You were doing it wrong with the taco.
    For sophisticado peeps, the proper way to eat a taco is to place it on a smaller plate, on it's side.
    Then smack the shell a few times with the blade of a butter knife, breaking the shell into pieces.
    Then using a knife in your left hand, as a small wall, you use the dinner fork to scoop bites to eat.

This is the same way NorEasters eat Nachos. Essentially you are turning the taco into a nacho plate, with lettuce.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LIVER
    Tastes like dirty buttocks!
    I find it odd that you know how dirty buttocks tastes like to be able to compare!
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Downloads
    Uploads

My First Grits

Year ago when I was a smart kid I left VT on a motorcycle headed for Orlando.
    It was November, and I got to Orlando before Walt D.
    I stopped for breakfast somewhere in Georgia, it was warmer than Vermont.
    The waitress asked me if I wanted grits with my eggs.
    I didn't know what grits were, being a damn Yankee, ( Well I didn't know that either, yet )
    So I said " I'll have just one ".
    rrossjr likes this.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    I find it odd that you know how dirty buttocks tastes like to be able to compare!
    Aw, c'mon. It's GORDON! None of us should be surprised.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Dad was a poor Yankee boy from Indiana who had been a cook in the Army, Mom was an Alabama girl. Grew up eating some different stuff. We did have Hominy but I do not remember having it as grits. Mom always grew Okra in the back yard along with Tomatoes and peppers. Lots of fried green tomatoes and fried okra, both are great. Boiled okra not so much. Dad knew how to find wild greens. Remember eating fried polk in KC MO. Like Gordo I had all the liver I ever want growing up, also can no longer stand navy beans or oatmeal. Mom got us started early on peanut butter and banana sandwiches. To this day I have no idea why Elvis would fry them. As others have said, different tastes in different areas. Chicago folks think it is sacrilege to eat ketchup on a hot dog. In my family there were dam few things you could not have catsup on. When we had left over mashed potatoes Mom made fried potato pancakes. Catsup was about the only way I could get them down. When working in Texas saw things like Cajun Boudan and Mexican chorizo, never got the taste for either. Did get the taste for the breakfast burrito with hot sauce, Red not Green. Real TEX-Mex food and BBQ Brisket are hard to beat. Probably the worst I ever ate was some stuff we got while my family was getting public aid in the late sixtys, early seventies. Back then you got surplus commodity's, no food stamps or link cards. The Government put out a canned meat that had the consistency of Spam without the taste. You had to slice it thin and dose it with catsup to get it down.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    John talking about eating poke, reminded me of some of the things which we gathered and ate in the spring. We did not eat poke, but I think that my mother did after I had left home. The first greens in the spring were dandelions. This accomplished two things, we did some weeding and put food on the table at the same time. Then there was the narrow-leafed dock and lambs quarters. Those are both weeds too. Also, we collected water cress near the spring. (Water source, not season.) There was also spearmint growing wild in the pasture. That was collected and dried to make mint tea. I did some trapping as a teenager. We ate a few coons, a muskrat or so, as well as few groundhogs, a lot of rabbits and pheasants, and a deer or so which my father hunted. One thing which we never did eat was possum. As a kid, my father walked by a dead horse carcass on his way to school. One winter day, he kicked the frozen carcass and a possum ran out, so we never had to eat possum. In my profession, I taught biochemistry, so now I know that all of the proteins in these odd foods are made up of the same 20 or so amino acids. Most of the other components are similar in the various foods also. Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information