Clean oil won't drain
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Clean oil won't drain

Downloads
    Uploads

Clean oil won't drain

Hey guys, first post here so I'm sorry if it is in the wrong place. I am trying to change the fule pump on an Opel I acquired and there is something in the drain hole stopping oil from flowing. The oil is in good shape and this should be the drain as maybe a tablespoon of oil came our when I removed the cap. There was a spring behind plug as shown and the other picture is the object in the drain. It moves when I poke at it but it seams to be held in place and not magnetic. It's a 71 GT with the original 1.9. Thanks in advance for any advice. Also yes, I plain to clean the cat hair off before reinstalling the plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The oil drain is on the bottom of the oil pan. I know that I should know what that thing is you're showing, but I don't. I think that is the pumpy springy thingy that makes the mechanical fuel pump do it's thing. I'm probably wrong.

Resident Curmudgeon My location Opelmel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mel
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks to me that you've removed the pressure relief valve from the oil pump cover. At the end of the spring there should be a pressure relief piston. Examples of both can be seen on this order page from Opel Gt Source:

Oiling System - 1.9L Engine - Opel GT - Store | Opel GT Source

The piston inside the pump cover is forced back when the oil pressure gets beyond a certain point, thereby maintaining a safe and adequate pressure.

The oil drain plug, as noted, is on the bottom of the oil pan.
    Ooooner likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Opelmel. I hope you didn't lose prime on your oil pump by removing that pressure relief valve. There is an easy way to check.

Put it back together. Disconnect the coil wire on your distributor (the one in the middle of the distributor cap). Crank your engine until you see oil pressure on your oil gauge. Once you get pressure, you can reconnect the coil wire.

If you lost prime, you won't get oil pressure. No oil on a running engine is a bad thing!!

The drain plug is on the bottom (steel pan) or the side (aluminum pan).
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jlthunder View Post
    I agree with Opelmel. I hope you didn't lose prime on your oil pump by removing that pressure relief valve. There is an easy way to check.

Put it back together. Disconnect the coil wire on your distributor (the one in the middle of the distributor cap). Crank your engine until you see oil pressure on your oil gauge. Once you get pressure, you can reconnect the coil wire.

If you lost prime, you won't get oil pressure. No oil on a running engine is a bad thing!!

The drain plug is on the bottom (steel pan) or the side (aluminum pan).
    As pointed out, that is NOT the oil drain plug. With this tidbit of knowledge, I am going to make the assumption your either very young and know very little about motor vehicles, or your older and not mechanically inclined, sooooooooo, I would strongly suggest you ask someone who is more knowledgeable about engines and car repairs/service before tackling anything further and most certainly verify if you have lost prime or not, if you have you are going to need someone with mechanical knowledge and skill to help you restore prime, otherwise your going to be needing help from someone to replace your engine. It's fun to learn, but not when you know little and have no one to stop you from making a critical mistake Good luck getting it straightened out.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see this as another tongue-in-cheek thread.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Im 21 and know a bit but want to know more so I bought this opel for $400 to work on when I'm not in school because I could afford to mess it up and I love the little car. I assumed that was the drain since it was a low point in a similar spot as my focus. I do not believe there was a pressure relief piston on the end of the spring so I'll probably have to buy one. The car had a distributerless ignition system (link bellow) installed when a previous owner put in all new wiring. I have never seen it start, only a video of it running with someone squirting gas into the carb so I'm not sure if the gages can be trusted. I should be able to just remove the cables to keep it from sparking though since I'm not too familiar with the system. Can anyone tell me if this is any good? I know a distributor can be a hastle sometimes for timing but I don't know if this is junk or not. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/cfi...cKYaAi_j8P8HAQ
    The Scifi Guy, ggl and MikeNotigan like this.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You seem like a nice young fella who's eager to learn and you've managed to take your first punch from us with grace and style.

I therefore bestow upon you the.........

You need to take it slow at this point so that you don't blow unnecessary money as you work out your car's glitches. I suggest starting out showing and telling us more about this car so that we can better walk you through the basic steps to get you evaluated and running. A good start would be to take some pics of your engine compartment so that we can get a grasp of the modifications done to your car.

You've got a somewhat long journey as we walk you through the steps and school you up on cars, so be patient and we'll get you through it.

Zachary likes this.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    Thanks. Im 21 and know a bit but want to know more so I bought this opel for $400 to work on when I'm not in school because I could afford to mess it up and I love the little car. I assumed that was the drain since it was a low point in a similar spot as my focus.
    Which is a perfectly reasonable and logical assumption even though it's entirely wrong

The fastest way to learn stuff is by doing and you've just learned something new, my motto when working on cars is "how difficult can that really be", sounds as if you've got the perfect attitude to become a full blown Opeler. Good luck with the car, I'll certainly be looking forward to further updates on your progress. Just remember that there's no shame in asking questions before doing something you're not sure about and the only stupid questions are those you've asked before but didn't care enough about to remember the answer.

If your oil pump has lost it's "prime" there are a couple of ways to restore it but one of the easiest ways is to undo those 6 little bolts on the oil pump and pack the gears with grease before putting the cover back on.

What is a "prime" in this case. Well a completely dry gear pump, the oil pump consists of two gears inside a housing, have a great difficulty sucking a thick liquid like oil because when dry the gears have no seal against the housing and isn't able to create the vacuum (suction) needed to get the oil flowing. You need som kind of fluid in there to get things started

Btw, you learn from making mistakes than doing them the right way. If you had guessed right all you would have learned was how to change the oil on your Opel, with your mistake you've learned not only that but also where the oil pressure relieve is, how an oil pump actually works and why it's important to "prime" it
    The Scifi Guy and Knorm65 like this.
    "I hate RallyBob"

No....its not a Buick.... My location yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A factory service manual is in need here. They are easy enough to get off e-bay or someplace similar. Even though the p.o. made some mods it will still get you in the right direction. I believe there may be one on this site for download. Good luck!
    The Scifi Guy and Timbo like this.
    What ...we got here...is........failure......................... to communicate....
    Some men,you just cant reach...so you get what we had here last week...which is the way he wants it.
    Well, he gets it...I dont like it, any more than you men...

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see that you are in St. Charles. There are some people in St. Louis who have been into Opels for some time, and there are some on the east side of the river as well. Good luck. Bill
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Information at hand is your friend! Welcome to the site and to the world of Opels. Please take a read on your headlight wiring system before you have plans on taking the car for a long run. You will have to inspect and repair the headlight wiring harness from the head lamps back to the engine compartment. 40 years of rotating headlights and high current have helped to crack the wire's insulation and in very short order, a dead short between wires in that loom can burn the car to the ground.

Opel GT Source has a wealth of information with many of the parts you buy; tech tips they call them. For now, to get better acquainted with the GT, here is the Brooklands Workshop repair manual they sell. It can better help you in doing maintenance and repair, with this book in hand: Link: Opel GT Owner's Workshop Manual - Books and Literature - Opel GT - Store | Opel GT Source Buy this book, buy an old factory service manual on flea bay and in conjunction with this site, you'll be on your way.

Good luck!

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter My location opellane's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Zachary, Welcome to the club, You picked a Great Car to restore, There are a lot of good people here that are willing to help a newbie Opeler / Mechanic. These Opels are pretty simple to work on and have a very unique style.

I guess by now you've found the drain plug..It's usually always in every engine on the bottom of the Oil Pan ( oil Sump) for easy draining.. The oil filter should be tighten one more turn after hand tight.
    If you only lost a couple table spoon of oil from the oil pump psi spring Cap .. you should be fine..
    re-install that plug/Cap with the spring and copper washer and Drain & refill oil ( oil Change) note: drain plug washer installed / crank it a few times with no gas and see if you get the oil psi needle to move.. then you'll be ok again.

I would read up on info.here lots to learn on Car maintenance if you want to keep your Opel GT running properly

Take pictures with your posts ..there easy to upload and have fun with your GT
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT,Citris Yellow 2.0L, Weber 38DGES
    1969 Opel GT Lt Blue Metallic 2.0L,Weber 38DGES
    1973 MGB, Red, Weber 38DG

1000 Post Club My location jlthunder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    I do not believe there was a pressure relief piston on the end of the spring so I'll probably have to buy one.
    From the original picture in your first post, you can see the relief piston in the middle. It looks a little dirty. You can get a new one from OGTS, but make sure you remove the old one first.

If you don't know how to disable the ignition to the spark plugs, just remove each spark plug wire. Make sure you label which one goes on each spark plug. 1, 2, 3, 4. 1 being the one towards the front of the car. You can name them Moe, Larry, Curley, and Shemp if you want, just make sure you match them up.

Crank the engine and make sure you get oil pressure before firing it up.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The compufire ignition is fine (and actually good) although I "think" it messes with the firing order. There is a thread here somewhere on the conversion process. Before you put that relief valve spring back in make sure you carefully clean the 4 sealing surfaces involved, which are the bottom of the hex shaped plug, both sides of the copper washer, and the face of the oil pump cover. Don't use anything that will put heavy scratches in the surfaces or you will create a leak. For the parts that you can hold in your hand fine steel wool will work nicely but be sure to clean off any steel wool fibers, you don't want to introduce steel wool into the oil system. Some brake or carb cleaner on a rag on the end of screwdriver can be used on the cover but again, be careful not to scratch the surface if the screw driver pokes through the rag! I doubt you have lost enough oil out of the pump to require re-priming but better safe than sorry so do as others have suggested and check before starting. Instead of pulling the wires off the plugs you can pull them out of the Compufire and then you won't have the possibility of sparks flying around out the end of the wires if they get too close to a ground point. This avoids the hazard of fire. Just keep track of which one goes where as stated before.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Super Moderator My location Ooooner's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    You seem like a nice young fella who's eager to learn and you've managed to take your first punch from us with grace and style.

I therefore bestow upon you the.........

Hey, never received the seal! 😳
    opelgtguy and The Scifi Guy like this.
    Roy Bell
    1969 Opel GT (Switzerland)
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooooner View Post
    Hey, never received the seal!

Okay, here ya go:

Unpronouncable name award.jpg

Is that pronounced Uuner? Uner? Owner? Uh-oh-ner? OoOoOoner? What the heck is an Ooooner anyway?

Super Moderator My location Ooooner's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Okay, here ya go:

Unpronouncable name award.jpg

Is that pronounced Uuner? Uner? Owner? Uh-oh-ner? OoOoOoner? What the heck is an Ooooner anyway?

I appreciate the seal. It will be admired until the day I die! You need to get patches made up so people can sew them on the coats!

Ok... Ooooner is sort of dumb but it's a nickname in my family. I'm a "Junior" and my little brother, when we were small, just called me Ooooner because he couldn't say Junior. So the damn nickname stuck on me like glue. You're not going to take the seal back, are you?
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Roy Bell
    1969 Opel GT (Switzerland)
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Downloads
    Uploads
    I appreciate the support! In response to all the posts, I have had things I'm working on so I haven't been out to the car since the original post, but I hope to this afternoon. I plan to post in the intro thread I think I have seen but have been away at school without enough good pictures. Im on spring break now so I took some more and will be getting to that. Im not sure why I haven't bought that book already, I've read many people talk about it on here. The car is pretty rough so it won't be on the road for a while, but I was hoping to get it started and test the clutch this week. it feels bad buy the transmission at least goes into gears fine. I will get more pics posted soon (hopefully tonight). I have been silently reading on here the last 3 or 4 months but I'm new to forums so I've been figuring that out. I was planning to clean the plug with gas to get the gunk out of everything and then rinse it off just in case. My dad always uses gas with grease so I assume thats fine as long as I'm not mixing gas into the oil? I will be sure to check for prime before starting and to record it. So the relief piston is that raised portion in the hole their? Also I will look into the ignition thread here because the order of the wires is 1243 right now which I thought was wrong but maybe not for that system.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Big Brakes,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35 BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335 '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information