Harley Heaven or Hell?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Timbo
  • 2 Post By opelgtboy70
  • 2 Post By The Scifi Guy
  • 2 Post By hrcollinsjr
  • 2 Post By wayne70gt
  • 4 Post By opelspyder
  • 1 Post By opeljohn

Thread: Harley Heaven or Hell?

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harley Heaven or Hell?

A new motorcycle shop opened up across the parking lot from my office last fall, but they weren't around much all winter. Well, about two weeks ago they opened for the season. So now it seems every 1/2 hour someone is revving one of the bikes or taking one for a test drive around the parking lot. I've never been a fan of loud machines so Harleys haven't been on the want list. I think it is going to be a long summer.
    JudokaJohn likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    My condolences. I am not a motorcycle guy (I almost bought a BSA 400 in the '70's), and the noise is annoying. Also, Harleys always sound like they are missing.

Real Name
    Karl Senula
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the time they just rev up the engines to say "look at me." When I ride with people that do that, I ask them if their bike is stalling or do they need help. They always get mad.

Karl
    hrcollinsjr and JudokaJohn like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, bikers claim they want their motorcycles loud for safety, so that people will notice them. It doesn't seem to work. Just about every week in the newspaper I read about someone dying in a car accident on a Harley in a town called Franklinville near me. It seems to be the town where bikers go to die. I never hear about people dying on other makes of bikes that are quieter. Except those rocket ship bikes that dudes ride while laying on their stomach. I usually read about them dying on the Interstate in Philly. Rocket ship riders apparently don't like to sit in traffic, so they drive 100mph down the dotted white lines between the lanes. Until someone changes lanes.

Ooooner and JudokaJohn like this.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a misfortune, I've been riding bikes for a long time, my Father rode for Fifty years,Shriner's motorcycle Corp.back in the seventies,early eighties! Today's problems, are the first time riders with very little experience, for these types it's a Culture thing, finding Social exceptence. And they will spend more money to go faster and faster. And then it's the Bar hopping, can you imagine some lightweight about 5'10" having a few beers or something stronger, than repeating from stop to stop.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you think it's too loud, YOUR TO OLD. Better find yourselves a retirement home or nursing home fella's.

I personally like a nice rumble from anything I drive, greatest music in the world is a fine tuned machine that lets you feel it in the pit of your being.
    With that said, I also do not care for the idiots who feel that they need to rev anything to 30,000 RPMs, "just because" or to be "showy" it's asinine and annoying and can be potentially damaging to an engine.

I have ridden motorcycle since I was 6 or 7 IIRC, that was when I rode my first mini bike and on the exact same occasion, had my first accident on said mini bike. I lived through it, and have had many mishaps through the years, some more painful than others and yet I STILL ride.
    It is so many different things to each individual rider. The wide open air at speed is almost like flying, and when you F up, you may actually GO flying :O Wife LOVES LOVES LOVES IT. She is why I own the 2013 Vic CCT I have now (Big Red, you can see pic in my garage) She doesn't have the best vision in the world and will never be allowed to operate one alone so long as I am alive, but she does absolutely love to go on long weekend rides, so I continue to own one big enough to tote us and a lot of stuff around and do it with some performance and SOUND. I have louder pipes, loud enough to not be teased by the stuck up hogs but not annoyingly loud. The damn thing was so quite when I bought it, it sounded like an extra loud vacuum cleaner, and I HATED IT. And people didn't pay attention and would walk out in front of me, and animals ignored it and ran out in front of me, and cars and other vehicles on the road, FUGETABOUT IT. So it's loud......er now.

But then there's the rub, how do YOU define loud? What is loud to you, may not seem as loud to me. It's all relative.

Bet when your out driving around and you hear some one with loud exhaust, whether rapping it to be an idiot, or seriously getting on it, or whatever, you DO LOOK AROUND TO SEE WTH!!! ....................
    .................................................. ..............Don't you

Should never knock people because they like something else. Just saying.
    Last edited by Ooooner; 04-20-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Tennessean Site Supporter My location hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow73GT View Post
    Should never knock people because they like something else. Just saying.
    But their freedom ends where mine begins. I like to hear the sound of a good engine but I don't like loud noises especially when I'm sitting at a light on my bike and think a big truck or something isn't stopping and I'm about to become another statistic.

Harold

P.S. I also like the idea of suppressors on my toys so they don't annoy the neighbors plus it would be nice to enjoy some things I own without the need for hearing protection.
    Ooooner and JudokaJohn like this.

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did title it "Heaven or Hell". Some like the noise. I recently asked a Harley rider about the noise. The response was "I don't hear it while I'm riding". I just don't understand the purpose. I'd rather listen to music. I certainly like the sound of a fine tuned machine. There is something satisfying about everything working together and when it is a car you are getting the thrill of the ride.

As for what I do when I hear someone getting on it, it is more like "WTF" as a look around to try to stay out of their way.

It is supposed to rain here today so it's been quiet. Motorcycle week is less than two months away.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 04-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rain today, what was I thinking. It was just before 9.

Resident Curmudgeon My location Opelmel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mel
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    But their freedom ends where mine begins.
    Exactly. And if the purpose of loud pipes is to save lives, what about helmets? Or Kevlar-reinforced motorcycle apparel, boots and gloves? Without them, I wouldn't be here today. (Sorry to disappoint some of you!)

How do I define loud? For me, it's any louder than the factory exhaust. If I wanted to hear "Harley" loud or "ricer" loud or "crotch-rocket" loud, I'd go to the track.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some people like the rumble of Harleys but to me they just sound badly engineered or broken.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Opeler Site Supporter My location wayne70gt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Opelmel View Post

For me, it's any louder than the factory exhaust.
    It all started when I add baseball cards to the spokes on my stock (pedal) bike.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 04-20-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Ooooner and hrcollinsjr like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any loud bike annoys me, Harley's or high revving bikes, especially when I'm in traffic on the freeway and one screams past me between the lanes In 2016, California DMV said it was OK for bikers to split lanes and scare the bejeebers out of others.

Real Name
    Mark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just so you people know, Harley V-Twins have a single crank pin, like a radial engine does, this is what makes them sound different than other V-Twins. This is also why to some people, they sound like they are missing. I appreciate the loud pipes b/c it does get you noticed, but still the single most important factor in not eating pavement is riding with awareness (defensive driving for you cagers). I rode the crap out of my 89 FXRS-SP and took it around the world with me while I was in the U.S.Army. A helmet might save your head, but the full face ones restrict vision and also hearing which increases your chances of being in an accident, so it should be up to the rider. I put 100k miles on mine w/o an accident. Then got in a bind and had to sell it for what I paid for it. I was going to build a hardtail chopper, got as far as a rolling frame but lost interest and now my focus is on GTs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Opel Key Master My location opelspyder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm just against the a$$hats that want their bike even louder, but then wear earplugs when they ride.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    After not owning a motorcycle for some 30 years or so I recently bought a 2004 HD FXDWG. I am dealing with some of the issues brought up here. Over the years I have developed a case of CHS ( Can't Hear S**T). I blame most of this on Years of Rock and Roll performance's and working in a construction environment. I think a few years of riding Bikes with aftermarket pipes and no helmet might have contributed to the problem. The Bike I have now had 7500 miles on it when purchased and has stock pipes. In an attempt to save the hearing I have left I will keep those pipes and wear a helmet most of the time. I understand the lure of louder pipes but they come with a price. Besides I like to stay on good terms with the neighbor's, and making their house vibrate when I come home late at night might cost us a pet sitter.
    Opelmel likes this.

Thread Information